Nathan McCullough
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey everyone,

I wanted to back originally, but wasn't sure as it was a lot of money.
I love Chaos in the Old World, I like asymmetric play styles, etc.

I sadly missed out on it, and so I missed all the free independent old ones. Oh well.

But now I have a second chance to get the game with some extras thrown in, so my question would be, since everyone's had chances to play it for a while now:

I'm looking at just getting the 6-8 player map, with 1-2 factions and some neutral goos, is the game replayable and fun with the normal map and factions? I'd assume so, but reviews seem to indicate people want to play with different factions and maps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Lanrezac
France
Chatou
Yvelines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Adonai_80 wrote:

I'm looking at just getting the 6-8 player map, with 1-2 factions and some neutral goos, is the game replayable and fun with the normal map and factions? I'd assume so, but reviews seem to indicate people want to play with different factions and maps.

Hello Adonai !
I clearly don't have as much CW play opportunities of some of the biggest fans here, but I have played about50 games so far, with only core game (so one map, 4 different factions).
So my answer is YES you'll have plenty of fun (and by the way some expansions require you to have a lot of games under your belly to fully appreciate them fully)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heck, Nathan, though I'm obviously a fan, I think the base game is very replayable all by itself. If you go for the 6 - 8 player map (which does make the game more chaotic, of course), two more factions and neutral GOO's to boot, then you'll get a LOT of life out of this game.

The ultra-fan community (yep, like me) naturally pushes for so many elements of the Mythos to be developed into game form that the game has so many expansions and possibilities. These expansions shouldn't at all be seen as necessary to complete the game in any sense, though. Almost all of them are modular in nature and reflect our desire to see something introduced thematically, not mechanically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the artificer
United States
flag msg tools
mb
It's VERY re-playable. Changing out one faction utterly changes the dynamics of the game, as each faction has a different 'peak' that they perform during. Cthulhu is a beatstick right away, Crawling Chaos is fast but weak (at first) ramping up power as other GOOs appear, Yellow Sign dances in the gulfs between the other factions, and Black Goat (rapidly) spreads like a fungus. I haven't played with the extra factions yet, but every time we play something new and exciting happens.
I'm giddy with excitement for the rest of my DVM to arrive so I can unleash more stuff on the group.

I think you'd be fine getting a few extra factions and a pack or two of GOOs.

I haven't played on any of the other maps yet, but Yuggoth and Primeval Earth look like they greatly change game play as well. Same could be said for the Library with it's new spell books.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loig Roumois
Switzerland
Baden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
somehow CW has a lot of similarities to chess. and chess has a lot of replayability. It has been played for centuries. Now the basegame CW has even 2 more factions and Cthulhu.... what more do you want? I would say you can play the base game CW for centuries as well that much replayability is in it. then go get an expansion or two and you are good for aeons....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael T.
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its utterly replayable just with the core game. No game is alike at all and already the very first round often feels like a complete new game every time as so many possibilities exist from the start (and there seems to be no autowin-strategy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Merlo
Ecuador
Quito
Pichincha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The game seems quite limited with only 4 factions and 1 map, but it is deceiving. 1 or 2 games should make you realize that the game changes a lot between sessions, and that replay value is one of its strong points rather than weaknesses.

Brother Jim wrote:
The ultra-fan community (yep, like me) naturally pushes for so many elements of the Mythos to be developed into game form that the game has so many expansions and possibilities. These expansions shouldn't at all be seen as necessary to complete the game in any sense, though. Almost all of them are modular in nature and reflect our desire to see something introduced thematically, not mechanically.

Totally agree. One of the strong points of the game is it's beautiful thematic art. Many Lovecraft fans will want them all at once because of theme, not because they are really needed, so don't think the game is useless with anything short of $700.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Taylor
Switzerland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Same question for me. I am backing the base game and am only interested in extras that will enhance the game, add a bit of variety and allow 5 players.

That being said, I don't know how much table time his will get so don't want to drop hundreds more dollars on being a completist and making the game too complicated.

Are there any essential add-ons, maybe one more GOO and an alternative map? Or should I just stick with the the core game and see how I like it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I could add only one element it would be a new faction (in Update 12 they are discussed to help those who are having trouble picking one). If you get a fifth faction then you could play the base game with a full five players. That seems like it would make for the best investment.

The other expansions add many new dimensions to the game, of course. The Yuggoth map is pretty wild, I understand.

Have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brother Jim wrote:
If I could add only one element it would be a new faction (in Update 12 they are discussed to help those who are having trouble picking one). If you get a fifth faction then you could play the base game with a full five players. That seems like it would make for the best investment.

True. I'd get this game out way more, but groups of 4 aren't as common as 5+. And having two people play "on a team" hasn't worked great in my experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Saricov
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I have the game for over a year, and played so much I can't even count. Most of my games were with the base map and the base factions, and I can tell you I still learn new things every game, this game is AMAZING in it's depth and strategic value.

Only yesterday I played a 5 player game in which the black goat was played by a newcomer and he played in a way I haven't thought of before, ending in a tie for first place with one of our most experienced players in the group. ( he got the 3 doom points from yellow sign at the beginning of the game, but it was still darn impressive the way he surged forward at the end).

So yeah, get the game, even with just the base game you will get your money's worth from it, I'm certain of it. If you add the aforementioned expansions, you will probably never really exhaust the replay value of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get just the core game, plus 1 faction, for your 4 player games, you will have 2 map configurations & 5 different faction configurations for a total of 10 basically different games. I promise you that a game with opener of the way swapped out for, say, crawling chaos, feels VERY different.

Adding more fsctions, maps, or figure packs just multplies it that much more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.