Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Master, a 2 player collectible dice game, pits two teams of superheroes, villains, Dungeons & Dragons characters, or Yu-Gi-Oh things (I’m not quite sure what creatures are in Yu-Gi-Oh) against each other in a mixture of Quarriors and Magic: the Gathering. The game takes about 15 minutes to play, and can be expanded to 4 players with a 2-on-2 variation.

What’s in the Box

Dice Masters is a collectible game much like Magic: the Gathering or Pokémon. There are two choices for new players, the Starter Set or the Collector’s Box. The Starter Set gives you everything you need to learn the game; 24 character cards (3 cards each of 8 characters), 2 dice per character, 10 Basic Action cards, 16 sidekick dice, 12 action dice, and two dice bags. There is enough here for two players to learn the game. The Collector’s Box will give you a few extras like a cloth dice bag, storage for up to 300 dice, a full-art promo card, and four booster packs.

What’s Not in the Box

Buying either the Starter Set or Collector’s Box only gives you enough for one player to play the full game (kind of). In order to play a complete game with 2 players you will need to buy several booster packs. The booster packs are cheap, they only cost $1 and come with 2 character cards and 2 corresponding dice. It will not take long to build up enough dice to build several teams. The Starter Set does come with dice bags but they are pretty much barf-bags from an airplane. They will work but are too small for those with larger hands to reach into, and can easily rip. You also do not get any kind of playmat. While you don’t need one to play they are very helpful for learning and keeping the game organized. You can buy one or print one off of WizKids website.

Gameplay Review

I played Quarriors when it came out a few years ago. I loved the idea and the dice, but the gameplay and theme didn’t hold me. When I saw that WizKids was tweaking the game and turning it into a two-player combat game I was excited but hesitant. Then I started hearing about how much fun it was, and that the combat was compared to Magic, which I had just stopped playing because of how expensive it was. While the collectible part of the game turned me off, the theme drew me right in and I decided to give it a chance.

At the time of this review I have bought into 4 of the sets, Marvel’s Avengers vs. X-Men, Uncanny X-Man, and Age of Ultron, and DC’s Justice League. I love that they are all completely compatible meaning I can build teams of Superheroes and Super villains from both universes together, or battle X-Men vs. Justice League.

The game play is quite easy. Each player builds a team of 20 dice allocated amongst up to 8 character cards. Then they choose 2 Basic Action cards that each receive 3 basic action dice. These actions dice can be bought by either player. Each player also receives 8 sidekick dice. These are the starting dice and will help you buy your teams dice, building up your army. Like Magic each player starts with 20 life points and will attack the opposing player. Attacking works very much like Magic, and with the help of the player mats it becomes very easy. The first player to drop their opponent to 0 life is the winner. On your turn you will draw 4 dice and roll them. You get one opportunity to re-roll any or all of the dice. Then you will use any energy faces rolled to field (send characters into battle) or buy more dice. The dice will be sent into your bag to be pulled in later rounds. The dice buying works much like any deck builder.

Dice Masters is fun and fast and highly customizable. If you are fan of CCG or LCG than Dice Masters will probably appeal to you. The collectible aspect may turn people off, and if you are a collector or a completions then you may have a hard time no going overboard with booster packs. But, with a price tag of $1 you can easily build a solid collection without spending too much money. And it seems that the most expensive cards (the Super-Rare cards) are not necessarily any better than commons or uncommons. If you are playing for fun, or have the cards you need, you can buy the dice you need for about a quarter each off the Internet. And the best part is your can buy the IPs that are interesting to you. D&D and Yu-Gi-Oh have little appeal to me, so I have only bought the superhero expansions. And there are already plans for Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and a rumor of Street Fighter II coming soon. I will continue to add to my collection and not feel I will need to spend hundreds of dollars to have fun.

To see images and read more reviews please visit quicklookreviews.wordpress.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Voshall
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, dice Masters is a rather mixed bag. On the one hand, you have a relatively low buy-in and upkeep cost if you keep on the casual side (at $20-$25 per starter and $1 for 2 cards and 2 dice) alongside a streamlined and easy to learn combination Dicebuilding CCG. On the other hand, because of the fact that you max out at 8 cards, you really need to have 4 copies of nearly all the dice you want to use (and the fact that you cannot use otherwise identical dice from different sets really doesn't help the matter, especially for characters that are associated with hard-to-find cards), and there are a very small subset of cards that are simply better than nearly anything else in the game (for example, the Super Rare Black Widow card where the opponent loses 2 life whenever she attacks unless the opponent reduces one of their dice by 1 level).

Overall, this isn't a bad game, but it does suffer from many of the same problems that WizKids competitive games generally have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ned Meier
United States
Lake Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magius wrote:
For me, dice Masters is a rather mixed bag. On the one hand, you have a relatively low buy-in and upkeep cost if you keep on the casual side (at $20-$25 per starter and $1 for 2 cards and 2 dice) alongside a streamlined and easy to learn combination Dicebuilding CCG. On the other hand, because of the fact that you max out at 8 cards, you really need to have 4 copies of nearly all the dice you want to use (and the fact that you cannot use otherwise identical dice from different sets really doesn't help the matter, especially for characters that are associated with hard-to-find cards), and there are a very small subset of cards that are simply better than nearly anything else in the game (for example, the Super Rare Black Widow card where the opponent loses 2 life whenever she attacks unless the opponent reduces one of their dice by 1 level).

Overall, this isn't a bad game, but it does suffer from many of the same problems that WizKids competitive games generally have.

I totally understand that thought. I don't play the game competitively so I don't care about building an optimal deck. I also found that buying the dice on sites like CSI you can round out sets of dice for really cheap.

Thanks for the read.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.