Popular Tags: [View All]
jose silva

Glenshaw (pittsburgh)
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
Artocarpus heterophyllus
mbmbmbmbmb
this didnt happen while I was playing, as it is such a horrendous mismanagement of funds, but it did happen with my brother in law's group. What should be done?

I had no official answer for him, but my best guess would be the winner that could not pay pay a fee in the value of all his funds and there is a re-auction of that powerplant for all the remaining players.

What is your opinion? is there an official rule to cover this issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule is that you can't bid more than you have.

I would suggest you smack him upside the head and restart the auction from the beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Jones
United Kingdom
Sheffield
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: what if you win the auction and havent enough money to p
No official ruling as such, but the player should recieve a harsh slap for what really is unforgivable play however accidental.

The player should count there cash and the Plant should go to the other bidder for the last bud less than that total - if that cannot be remembered then the auction should be repeated.

Some sanction should be applied maybe they are blocked from that auction?

Seems harsh but I have played with fools who beleive this sort of thing is a 'bit of a giggle'!! Thankfully I didn't play with them for long.

CHRIS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Konwacht
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If accidental we simply repeat the auction but the "bad guy" is not being allowed to bid for this auction phase anymore, whatever auction is going on. Next game round he may again... If it is NOT accidental, well... then one plays with the wrong gamers *g* and should simply play with others...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually there are no rules on what to do if someone breaks the rules, unless breaking the rules is part of the game (which it clearly isn't in Power Grid). You'll have to improvise! In this case it isn't too hard: either you redo the auction, or you declare the last legitimate bet as the place where you restart the game (allowing new bets by players who can afford it)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Throknor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It may not be as simple as 'next highest bid'. If (for example) the person only had 20 but bid up to 35, why should (assuming all bids increment by 1) 34 be the winning bid? 21 would have done it. If there were still multiple people at 20 they should pick up from there, or just restart if they aren't certain when they dropped. There's really no need to exclude the idiot, now that everyone knows how much is needed to get him out. Unless you are so charitable as to allow him to keep what he has hidden, in which case you do have to completely restart and ban him.

A variant might be to allow a sell-back of resources, at half price rounded down. Of course this begs the question about whether to allow everyone to do so up front, or if they buy a plant and must dispose of resources for lack of capacity. And if it's an emergency thing he might be short changed anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
my first reaction is to make the offending player shovel coal for the other players for the rest of the game, but this one is a toughfy.

You wouldn't want to just have it go to the next highest bidder because the offending player probably built up the bid, with the next highest bidder having to pay more money than without the other player, but now if it was a critical auction, everyone has some idea of how much money the other players have due to what they bid, so a do over auction would be a bad option as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strangely, in all the games of Power Grid I have played, this has never happened. I think my group tends to plan ahead somewhat more than typical players, so overspending is rare. If it did happen, we would probably just restart the auction for that plant. I doubt it would happen twice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artmark wrote:
so a do over auction would be a bad option as well.

It's not a good situation to have in the first place, so bad options might be all you have. At least everyone has the same information going into the re-auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niels Taatgen
Netherlands
Groningen
Groningen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Come to think of it: it is a very strange situation if people overbid in the auction, because you have to save money to do all the other things in the turn: buy fuel and extend your network. Burning all your money on a plant is the most stupid thing you can do except for rare situations.
I don't see much harm in the situation where you turn back the clock to the moment that the overbidding player made the first bid he couldn't pay, and proceed from there, or redo the auction if you have lost track of that. Power Grid fortunately has no hidden information that can spoil such a replay, unless you have already turned over the next plant!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Hall
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
niels wrote:
Usually there are no rules on what to do if someone breaks the rules, unless breaking the rules is part of the game

Actually, quite a lot of traditional games have rules covering the breaking of rules. It isn't as common in "geek games", but it is certainly done. The official Laws of Chess from FIDE even goes so far as to outline procedure of a director of play refuses to enforce the rules. In Canasta, failing to reveal a red trey in the first turn you have it costs you 500 points, as does asking the minimum point requirement to meld during a hand, or asking what your score is. (Asking to see the score pad is perfectly legal, though.)

Getting geekier, Fury of Dracula gives a penalty for if Drac accidentally makes an illegal move (move to new location, clear trail, reveal new location, take a kill result - ouch!), and Puerto Rico tells us to put one colonist per player on the colonist ship if the mayor forgets to refill it at the appropriate time.

As for Power Grid, I would be inclined to make the winner of the auction pay $1 more than what the overbidder has (unless the overbidder at some point offered exactly what the overbidder has, in which case he can pay that much). If others were still in the bidding at that point, continue the auction from there.

I would also be tempted to assess a penalty against the overbidder. This could range from not being allowed to bid further this round to paying all his money to the bank.

If the next power plant has been revealed, reveal all the power plants until you get down to the Step 3 card, reshuffle the turn-up and any power plants set aside back in, put however many plants out of the game again, and continue play. If you are already in Step 3, just reshuffle the turn-up into the deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Goldenturkey wrote:

Some sanction should be applied maybe they are blocked from that auction?

Keelhauling for the first offense, drawing and quartering for the second offense, comfy chair for third and subsequent offenses.arrrh

Quote:
Seems harsh but I have played with fools who beleive this sort of thing is a 'bit of a giggle'!!

Well it is a bit of a giggle, when it happens rarely. (That's why the penalties escalate) The only time I recall it happening, the schmuck had already dug himself into such a big hole that he wasn't getting out. I think he bid 36 when he had 33, so we gave it to the other guy for 33. If it happened by a big amount, that would be different. If there was a third bidder when the illegal bid was made that's a really bad situation. If a player did this very often I would not play serious games with him. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.