Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's time for another major update on LegendaryLeagues.com that adds two new (solo) features for all users!

To use either feature, you'll need to first log in and go to My Info, then go to My Sets and select the Legendary sets you own. Then you can get started.

1) Random Match Generator

I know, there are tons of options available for this. But stick with me here. One of the things that the webapp does is keep track of overall stats. How tough is Apocalypse? How overpowered is Black Widow? Who is the most popular hero? Why is Deadpool so awesome?

Now, when you generate a random match, you can log your results, just like a league match. This contributes to the overall stats and will allow for a much wider variety of scenarios.

In fact, if you really like the match lineup, you can do more than just post your results. You can copy it to your...

2) Personal Challenge Matches

Each player now has their own personal "league" that they may populate with matches they find interesting or challenging. You can save a match you got from the randomizer, or craft your own.

If you want to post insanely difficult matches, go ahead. If you want to focus on thematic lineups, do it. It's your space, fill it with the types of matches you want to play.

You can tweak the individual cards returned from the randomizer and even add your own notes to tweak the match further.

Other players can find your matches from the front page and post their results as well, so you can compare rankings.

Some more instructions are in the About menu on the site, but feel free to ask if you need more details. Feedback and suggestions are always welcome. (I'm still trying to figure out what kind of player statistics would be useful to display on your account.)

Also, text and menus should look a lot better on mobile devices now too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darth Ed
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: LegendaryLeagues.com NEW Features - Randomizer and Player Challenges!
Cool!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Persons
United States
Cheektowaga
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again TS! Looks awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jason, this looks awesome!

I have two questions (one of which I'd like to play the Devil's Advocate).

1. What makes your randomizer better than the Wheel of Fate?

2. In August of last year I started recording my solo plays (using the same info that is collected for the online leagues), do you think its worth doing a data dump to get some of those statistics going? Just a thought.

Thank you for all your hard work! This stuff looks amazing!

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreatrudini wrote:

2. In August of last year I started recording my solo plays (using the same info that is collected for the online leagues), do you think its worth doing a data dump to get some of those statistics going? Just a thought.

-rudy

First of all, this is really cool, way excited about this.

I was wondering about q2 too. Problem is if only a couple of people put in loads of matches then the stats will all be a bit skewed towards their results.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a little play putting in a couple of challenge matches. Seemed to be some sort of bug where I couldn't edit the 2nd and 3rd Hero choice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I fixed it with henchmen yesterday, and thought the heroes were okay. I'll take a look. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dontfeedthegreen wrote:
Had a little play putting in a couple of challenge matches. Seemed to be some sort of bug where I couldn't edit the 2nd and 3rd Hero choice.

Logged out and back in again and seemed to fix it, but happened again occasionally when I tried to edit things (any of the villain/hero fields).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Son of a... and here I am in the middle of an upload to "fix" it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Green
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Son of a... and here I am in the middle of an upload to "fix" it.

I would still do that, it did keep happening and was kind of annoying.

Like a fly in a really big bowl of ice-cream.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's up now, but here are a couple of things:

1) Make sure to do a hard refresh on that page to get the latest version. This will end up logging you out. (I had this issue fixed at one point, but lost it. I can't get the session to stick through a refresh right now.) But then...

2) If you log in on that page, click the header to go to the front page, and then click the link to come back. If you log in on the league page, it doesn't trigger all the admin features you need in order to edit the heroes.

It seemed to be working okay for me. But if it's still happening, I think the issue should be limited to the first 3 matches in the list. (And then, only for heroes further in the list than the specific match.)

Why can't AngularJS handle loops like a normal language? soblue

Edit: I finally tracked down the refresh issue. I feel so much better now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It'll be great if you could take the rankings spreadsheets from the past Solo leagues and just dump all the stats there, just so you have some baseline for people to work off of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreatrudini wrote:

Not much really. Wheel of Fate has lots of different dials to turn. It's very well made. The main difference is that you can log your results here. I also calculate (fairly accurately, but results may vary) the max VP and playable turns possible. The funny thing is... I didn't intend on making a separate randomizer when I started this release. It's time for:

The Untold Origin of the Randomizer

Originally, I just wanted to add a place for people to log games they play, and challenge others at the same time. I realized I could make an over-complicated screen that allowed someone to enter all of the match details, or I could reuse what already existed for the leagues (where you can edit details once a match is in place). Reuse is good, so then I had to figure out how to add a match into the list to begin with. That seemed pretty obvious, but it quickly led to questions of: What if the lists just got too long? How do you log a play for a random match that you played, but don't really want hanging around because it wasn't all that cool?

At that point, I realized I needed to add the separate randomizer for that basic use case. After figuring out how to create a ghost league to hold all the random matches, another question came up: What if the match was really cool and you wanted to save it? Fortunately it was easy enough to move the match over to a player's league, and then everything else fell into place pretty quick.

In the end, I wanted to make sure the randomizer was fast and simple to use, while serving the bigger goals: play more games, log more results, gain more information.

Also, if you like the option to filter random elements by hero/villain sets, that was a suggestion from Thud105!

Quote:

-rudy

But Rudy, if we load your results, the win stats will plummet.

Seriously though, I do think it's an interesting idea. I might be able to make some sort of bulk upload option available. The data for one match is scattered across 5 or more tables right now (not counting the basic data tables with card names). It'll be a decent chunk of work, but it might be fun. I'm looking forward to a short break for a bit, but if you and Michael can provide me with some files, I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, it's still logging all the numbers from all the different league matches.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New Feature - Hero Browser!

This is something I've been thinking about adding since the site went live but never got around to it. Now, with Cap's Expansion pushing us past 100 playable characters, it was time to do something about it.

http://www.legendaryleagues.com/#/browser

With the hero browser, you can filter the list of characters based on criteria you specify to help you find the right pick for a match.

How many characters in Dark City have Tech or Strength cards and can KO my starting cards? Four.

How many characters have Spider in their name? Six.

Need someone in Secret Wars Vol 2 who can score you some bystanders? Here are your options.

Of course, you can select as many options from the team and set menus as you want, and you'll get anything that falls into those categories.

When you filter by classes, you'll get anyone with any of those classes, so if you select Strength and Tech, you'll get characters with at least one of those. Select the "AND" option to restrict your results to characters that have both.

Special thanks to Alex Chan (aclheaxn) and his awesome dividers that made entering all the class numbers really fast. (Fun fact: the colors on the dividers are alphabetical by the class names, so red/covert is always first, and black/tech is always last.)

Oh, and here are your only options for power characters that do the things you really want:

If anything is wrong, let me know, because I entered all of this on my own, and I'm bound to key something wrong. I've always had the team affiliation in since the beginning in case I wanted to run stats on team selection, and this actually showed me that I've had the Sinister Six working for SHIELD all this time.

No login/account is required to access this feature. In the future, I'd like to set it up so that if you are logged in, the sets are automatically filtered to what's registered in your collection. And past that, setting up a link from a league screen that will have the options filtered to the sets used in that league, or the characters available to you in a specific match.

Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This looks AMAZING!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Jennings
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done mate!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome update, Jason! Thanks!

-rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernesto Johnson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
THIS IS AWESOME! Thanks!

Is there any chance that you'll host the source on github? I'd like to fork it to be able to customize my hero list with custom cards I've printed.

I'll figure out a way to give you pull requests for any globally useful features I add.

Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.