1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 

The Island of Doctor Necreaux: Second Edition» Forums » News

Subject: Countdown to KS rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Invisible City, LLC is launching a Kickstarter campaign for The Island of Doctor Necreaux: Second Edition!

Thursday, March 16th! 10:00 a.m. CTS

I'm very excited about seeing this game, one of my personal favorites, come back in a second edition.

meeplemeeple------------------------------meeplemeeple

What we're working on right now:
meeple Polishing the video on the KS page.
meeple Preparing a few more prototypes for demos and previews.
meeple The Kickstarter page has been approved.
meeple Going through Stegmaier's "week before" Kickstarter checklist. (Still doing this. I printed a new copy. And I'm reading through his other bits of advice. It's so fascinating and so, so useful.
meeple Getting mentally prepared for the journey ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
lynnedesiree wrote:
The revisions to ... game mechanics
Any details about this at this point?
I do like the first edition and I'm really curious what the second edition will bring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Gergo,

Jonathan will provide a more thorough explanation later, but I can give you an idea of some of the changes in the meantime.

Jonathan added secret cache cards that give players a small amount of relief. These can be added or removed to the adventure deck to adjust difficulty.

We're also numbering the cards to make it easier to build an adventure path that is easier for beginners. In addition to that, we're working on a Quick Start guide to make it easier to learn and teach the game.

The most obvious change to mechanics is the use of two dice instead of one. I didn't mind the single die in the original game, but I think there was a lot of demand for two dice. It's a lot of fun; there are opportunities for manipulating and, depending on the skills you have, trading dice to alter your rolls.

Jonathan also made some other changes to polish the game, and we've worked on revising the rules to make them clearer. The game, at its core, will be the same as the original, with more art, revised rules, and more dice. It will also be compatible with the sequel, which we hope to release within a year of the 2nd edition.

Thank you,
Desi
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Thanks, Desi!

It sounds like most of these target new players. Which is fine, I think this game deserves more love. It's one of my favorite solo games.

Usually I'm not a huge fan of dice, but I do like the current one-die system. Curious to see how it will change.

More art sounds great, but I hope the original art style stays, because I love it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Gergo,

tmgergo wrote:
It sounds like most of these target new players. Which is fine, I think this game deserves more love. It's one of my favorite solo games.

That's really nice of you to say. Thanks!

It's worth noting that the changes benefit new players and experienced players. The game is much easier for new players to learn and set up, but the difficulty also scales up more smoothly. Also, it's fully cross-compatible with the (as yet unreleased) sequel, so there'll be a lot more for experienced players and fans to enjoy.

tmgergo wrote:
Usually I'm not a huge fan of dice, but I do like the current one-die system. Curious to see how it will change.

One of the most common pieces of BGG fan feedback for the first edition stemmed from using one die for combat and for speed tests, and I get where they were coming from. To address this, I retooled the game to use 2d6 for combat and speed tests. This has the nice effect of letting you declare higher speeds, letting you draw more cards per turn. That reduces the number of turns in the game, which makes the game feel quicker and shorter. Shifting to two-die resolution makes +1 modifiers more significant – especially when you're pushing a result thats at or above 7. It also makes re-rolls a lot more useful – If you re-roll a low-end result (like a 2, 3, or 4), odds are good you'll normalize to 7 or so (Whereas when you re-roll a single die, all results are equally likely.).

In other words: Shifting from one die to two dice makes the roll-based results a little more predictable, which slightly reduces the game's luck factor.

tmgergo wrote:
More art sounds great, but I hope the original art style stays, because I love it

So many cards did not have their own unique art (All the items and traps.). I was determined to ensure that most, if not all, of the cards had their own art. I'm pleased that we're able to meet that goal. We've commissioned Kevin Wasden (the original artist) to do the monsters. Some are ones you already know and love, re-imagined by Kevin. Others are new monsters (with familiar effects). He's also doing the new box cover (which he did not do previously). Kevin's time is limited, though (There's only so much one person can do!), so we've hired a few more artists. We really like their style, and we hope you will too.

As we get more information, we'll share it on BGG. We're super-chuffed to work on The Island of Doctor Necreaux, and we look forward to sharing it with everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lynnedesiree wrote:
Jonathan added secret cache cards that give players a small amount of relief. These can be added or removed to the adventure deck to adjust difficulty.

A little more on secret caches:

• If you're familiar with classic Pandemic, and how you can add or remove Epidemic cards during set up to increase or decrease the difficulty – Think of Secret Caches like the reverse of Epidemics. Each one represents a secret cache of supplies airdropped to the island to help you out.

• Each secret cache card has a different effect. Secret caches are a fun and easy way to make the game easier for new players, or to add variety for old players (Imagine this: Instead of resting to heal a card or gain a charge, you could draw a secret cache card. Neat!).

lynnedesiree wrote:
We're also numbering the cards to make it easier to build an adventure path that is easier for beginners.

Numbered cards also make it possible to create specific, repeatable scenarios and challenges. (heh, heh, heh)

lynnedesiree wrote:
In addition to that, we're working on a Quick Start guide to make it easier to learn and teach the game.

This is a big deal. The original rules are concise, but challenging to learn the game from (And that's largely on me.). The quick start rules are *much* clearer. They include specific skill card selections for one to four players. That way, new players don't have to fumble their way through a slew of new, unfamiliar skill cards (yay!).

The Island of Doctor Necreaux (Second Edition) is a good, solid co-op game. I'm glad to have the opportunity to share it with y'all, and I hope people enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Thanks, Jonathan. These all sound cool.

I think IoDN is the only game where I'm OK with the die screwing me over big time, it's just feels thematic I guess But the 2d6 system sounds like it will be more flexible to allow varied gameplay, so bring it on!

Repeatable scenarios sound awesome. Do you think there is a chance to create branching stories with them? The doors are one of my favourite things in the game, something similarly simple mechanic would be great.
Off a top of my head: you can choose to fight a specific monster or to avoid it. If you fight and kill it, you discard the monster, remove the next X cards from the deck (representing a hidden corridor), move on. If you avoid it, you can explore those next X cards, the corridor where you have the chance to pick up a weapon/tool. But the monster goes back into the deck and it will be a boss monster later when you draw it. A much tougher monster to beat but the weapon you picked up will help you kill it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:
I think IoDN is the only game where I'm OK with the die screwing me over big time, it's just feels thematic I guess But the 2d6 system sounds like it will be more flexible to allow varied gameplay, so bring it on!

Hah! That's pretty funny. One recent playtester said that watching the game beat on the heroes made it feel like a humorous version of the SAW movie franchise. I'll admit I was a little distressed by that, but you can take solace in knowing that you can still play it "hard core" style.

tmgergo wrote:
Repeatable scenarios sound awesome. Do you think there is a chance to create branching stories with them?

...aaaand my designer-brain just *exploded* with ideas. Imagine a short "choose your own adventure"-style booklet that narrates a scene, gives you a choice, runs you through a specific deck of cards based on your choice, then narrates another scene, and so on. I think you'd likely set up several decks before you start reading, so a passage could read like this:

Quote:
The Gargantuan Reanimated Cyborg Ape towers before you, blocking your path. What do you do?

(a) Fight the monstrous Ape
Take the Ape (#A0025) and the Astral Harmonizer (#A058) from Deck 3. Fight the Ape; the Harmonizer is its loot. When you're done, shuffle Deck 3 and run through it. Go to Paragraph 17 when you're done.

(b) Make a break for it! Attempt to run past the Ape!
Increase your speed by 2, then make a Speed Test with a -3 penalty.
- If you fail, the team takes 2 damage. Take the Ape (#A0025) from Deck 3 and fight it. When you're done, shuffle Deck 3 and run through it. Go to Paragraph 17 when you're done.
+ If you succeed, remove the Ape from Deck 3, shuffle Deck 3, and run through it. Go to Paragraph 17 when you're done.

(c) Run away!
Lose one turn on the countdown timer and go back to paragraph 21.

That would be pretty nifty! It's a bit of work, though... Still, there's interesting potential there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Quote:
...aaaand my designer-brain just *exploded* with ideas.
*oops* I hope it was easy to clean it up surprise

Quote:
Imagine a short "choose your own adventure"-style booklet that narrates a scene, gives you a choice, runs you through a specific deck of cards based on your choice, then narrates another scene, and so on.
Tbh, I imagined something a bit simpler. More like one single deck and just a "choose your own adventure" leaflet per scenario.
And e.g. the thematic 'taking a shortcut' would be a mechanical 'discard the top 5 cards'. And the leaflet would be more like a script than a narrative story.
The two main reasons I would keep it simple:
- Preparing one single deck (an manipulating it during gameplay) would keep things secret. If I knew in advance that there will be three different decks I need to use during the scenario, that's already a spoiler in itself and could give away some of the story.
- One important thing I like in IoDN is that it creates a story, but it's driven and created by the players' fantasy and imagination instead of flavor text or two-page long scenario setups. It would be great to keep this intact. I would enjoy these scenarios much-much more if they stimulated my imagination instead of made me read a book.

And then taking it a bit further: the "choose your own adventure" book could narrate a longer story: a chain of scenarios, a collection of leaflets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lynnedesiree wrote:
Invisible City, LLC is launching a Kickstarter campaign for The Island of Doctor Necreaux: Second Edition! We plan to launch in January.

Waiting for this to launch as snippets here and there suggest this is exactly the sort of game I enjoy most.

Play-space is a key factor tho - can you give an idea of space needed; eg compared to Pandemic (classic) as you have already used that for the difficulty scaling?

Are you willing/able to give an estimate of basic pledge level and whether this will be Euro-friendly shipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Iz Nibz wrote:
Play-space is a key factor tho - can you give an idea of space needed; eg compared to Pandemic (classic) as you have already used that for the difficulty scaling?
1st ed needs way less table space. See here and here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iz Nibz wrote:
lynnedesiree wrote:
Invisible City, LLC is launching a Kickstarter campaign for The Island of Doctor Necreaux: Second Edition! We plan to launch in January.

Waiting for this to launch as snippets here and there suggest this is exactly the sort of game I enjoy most.

Keen! Let's see if a short "play highlights" summary helps...

• Pure co-operative (No hidden traitors). Plays up to 5.
• Plays in 45 to 60 minutes.
• No waiting for your turn – all players take one turn as a team; simultaneously (Except when you've been split into two teams by a Sliding Wall trap.).
• Variable player powers: Each player starts with three Skills (ex: Rocketeer, Natural Leader, Pyrokinetic) selected from a randomly-selected subset of all possible skills.
• Variable island setup: TIoDN does not use a board. The island is represented by a shuffled deck of cards. Consequently, every adventure through the island is different. Also: Virtually every game ends before you reach the bottom of the deck, so you're never certain to encounter a specific card (other than The Escape Shuttle and The Scientists).
• 50's sci-fi future theme: Think "Buck Rogers" or "Flash Gordon"
• Lots of press-your-luck: Choosing your team's speed (How many cards you'll draw) is a big deal. Your speed has a big impact on how hard your turn will be, with higher speeds (generally) causing harder turns. But you can't go too slow or you'll run out of turns and the island will blow up with you on it!
• Some resource management: Many player skills use "charges" to activate special powers. Choosing the right time to spend a charge and adroit application of player skills has a huge impact on your team's success.

Iz Nibz wrote:

By now you've seen the pictures cited above. They fairly represent how much space TIoDN takes up, In terms of Classic Pandemic, I'd say it takes about 1/2 to 1/3rd the space of Pandemic, with each player's region taking three to four times more than an average Pandemic player's space.

Iz Nibz wrote:
Are you willing/able to give an estimate of basic pledge level and whether this will be Euro-friendly shipping?

I dearly wish I could estimate a basic pledge level, but I can't right now. We're still crunching numbers and getting quotes. Regarding Euro-shipping: We're printing in the US. We very much want to ship to Europe; we're working on it. If we can get a solution that's reasonable and appropriate, we'll jump on it faster than a four-year-old on an inflatable bouncy castle.

I hope this information helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scribes
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the reply. All sounds good - now to wait for the KS go-live.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a start date yet? Any chance of a pre-release campaign link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. A quick update regarding our release of the second edition.

Starting a business and getting a game together has taken just a bit longer than we'd expected. Additionally, 2015 was a trying year for both of us-the owners of Invisible City, LLC.

We're still on track to release the game, but we want to work out some of the details, such as getting a good amount of the art done, and layout for the cards for a playable prototype for reviewers and to provide our own demonstrations.

Our website should be ready very, very soon. And you can follow us on Facebook, if you want (Invisible City Productions, on Facebook). I've just posted the finished cover art for one of the items in the game.

We really wanted to get this game out this month, but we're a little behind schedule. We're learning a lot as we go, but very excited with the progress.
I'll return soon with more news of our launch date.
Thank you,
Desiree
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We're looking at March or April now.
We don't have a pre-release campaign link yet, but Jonathan or I will post it here as soon as we do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
Thanks for the update! Take your time and make it awesome, guys.

Quote:
I've just posted the finish cover art for one of the items in the game.
Any chance these could go up here, too?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:

Quote:
I've just posted the finish cover art for one of the items in the game.
Any chance these could go up here, too?

Yes, I'm on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tmgergo wrote:

Howdy! We're absolutely working to get the best combination of price-to-awesome ratio we can while keeping true to our core values. Here's a few places where we're "bringing the awesome":

* Art: Adam Moore, Dominic Foong, and Kevin "First edition Necreaux card art" Wasden are providing top-notch art. Each has their own unique bend on the Necreaux universe; all of it looks great! Did we mention that it's all full-color? Yeah, baby! Desirée's uploaded samples of each artist's work to the BGG gallery for TIoDN:2E. We're just waiting for it to be approved to post. Check it out when it hits! {EDIT: It's there now - http://boardgamegeek.com/images/boardgame/186808/island-doct... }

* Die-cut score tracker: It's an adventure on a secret volcanic island lair. When you're playing, you should play in the shadow of a volcano, right? Of course you should! Keep in mind this isn't 100%-for-sure, but we have a quote for the game with a die-cut stand-up speed-turn-card tracker shaped like a volcano. Guillotine has a guillotine. Epic Spell Wars of the Battle Wizards: Duel at Mt. Skullzfyre has a blood-gushing mountain. Why can't Necreaux have a volcano? Can you say, "stretch goal?" I >knew< you could!

* 11 dice! Yeah! All right! Woo-h... Um... Well... Okay, okay... I'm stretching a little with this one, but it's kind of a big deal. If we say it plays 1 to 4, you want enough dice for 1 to 4 players, right? Of course you do. (Note: Wanna get in on a super-secret secret? With 11 dice TIoDN:2E can actually support 5 players. Each player needs a minimum of 2 dice. With four players, odds are good that at least two players' skill cards will require an extra die for trap and/or combat rolls. That's why we're including 11 dice. If you're willing to share dice (Or - heavens forfend - add a d6 or two to the game.), you can play 5 players without a problem.)

Seriously, though... We're fans of Necreaux (Even though he is incurably diabolical.). We want to see him (and his minions) make a triumphant return. You (the fans) and we have the same goal: We want to see the second edition realized as a fun, well-made, beautiful game that you'll happily bring out and share with your friends.

And we're getting there – slowly, but surely.

Thanks for being there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iz Nibz wrote:

We're still working out those details. We just got a new quote this week because we're hoping to add in better components. We'll have to break down stretch goals and figure out pledge levels - working on it this week.

We're still researching on how to make it EU-friendly. We'd like to make that happen if we can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
One question: Is there be jetpacks?

But seriously, if you guys need any help with Kickstarter, manufacturing stuff, or shipping feel free to reach out to me. I've done 3 going on 4 Kickstarters to date.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergo Tothmihaly
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
Mage Tools for Android
mbmbmb
lynnedesiree wrote:
We're still researching on how to make it EU-friendly. We'd like to make that happen if we can.
Oh, yes, pretty please! kiss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Leistiko
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Horror Leader wrote:
One question: Is there be jetpacks?

Y'know... The Rocketeer skill card is just on the "not in the set" side of getting cut. Your comment right here may have saved it from being omitted from the second edition.

I suppose we really do have to include a jetpack, don't we?

Horror Leader wrote:
But seriously, if you guys need any help with Kickstarter, manufacturing stuff, or shipping feel free to reach out to me. I've done 3 going on 4 Kickstarters to date.

Thanks for the generous offer of help! We may very well ask you for tips on how to "Euro-friendly" ship games from the USA to Europe (We're printing in the USA.).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ross Graham
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having really liked the first game I keep hopefully checking here for updates Something which has just occurred to me though, will we see more of Doctor Necreaux in the second edition? It always seemed like a shame that you would sometimes make it all the way through the island in the first one without ever meeting him (since he was only on one, admittedly powerful, card). I'm still a little worried about the two-dice system though, I've never had any problem with the old game's difficulty and normally beat it regardless of player count.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Falcon

Fords
New Jersey
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Truthfully, I never heard of this game, that is until I stumbled upon a two year old Rahdo video of his top 10 underrated games. This game was on his list and it piqued my interest to explore further. I will definitely back this game once it hits KS...unless I miss out on some absurdly structured early bird where I simply say the hell with it....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.