Ibrahim Rodríguez
Spain
Terrassa
flag msg tools
badge
I like turtles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I have got a question regarding Prestige Phase. Red and yellow are tied on Shinano with 3 Samurai each (first round), there are no more players in that area, only red and yellow. Do they get 2 points each or zero?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chasseur d'Ours
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
from the rules :
"Prestige Phase
In case of a tie, the players
will be tied for the lower rank.
"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Liu
Taiwan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mad Igor wrote:
I don't understand the example in the rules in area 6. Blue is 1st and green, red, yellow are tied, but why for place 4th??? There is no player on the rank 2.
Traditionally in sports or tournaments, Green & Red & Yellow these 3 players will be tied for the 2nd place, and if there are more players ranked after them, they will start from 5th place.

So "tied for the lower rank" means instead of 2nd place, they are now all tied for 4th place, and anyone behind will be 5th place.

Another example would be Blue & Green have 2 influence, and Red & Yellow have 1 influence. In this case, Blue Green will be tied for 2nd, Red Yellow will be tied for 4th.

I am not sure if there is a more correct term for this behavior, but this is what we meant by "tied for the lower rank". Hope this is clear enough for you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hexanauta wrote:
I have got a question regarding Prestige Phase. Red and yellow are tied on Shinano with 3 Samurai each (first round), there are no more players in that area, only red and yellow. Do they get 2 points each or zero?

They each get 4 points. They do not split points, which is how I think you came up with the idea that they would each get 2 points.

As noted above, the rules say that "in the case of a tie, the players will be tied for the lower rank."

There are two players in Shinano. It's the first round, which means that first gets 7 points, second gets 4 points, and third gets 2 points.

Red and Yellow are tied for first. That means we need to resolve who is in first place and who is in second place because there are two players. Ties are resolved for the lower rank. So they both get second place. In this case that means 4 points each.

Suppose that we had a three way tie for first place. Now there are three players, which means we must resolve for first, second, and third place. The tie goes to the lowest rank of these, so they each score 2 points.

Note that one of the variant rule cards says that ties resolve for the higher rank. In that case they would each get 7 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.