Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
"When adapting or evolving another creature you may adapt or evolve that creature without having to discard a card."

I'm a little surprised that this doesn't have a 'once per turn' clause. It seems very powerful to me, given that evolving/adapting don't seem particularly weaker than multiplying. I could evolve five other creatures with just five cards, which is very strong as the endgame draws near. Or am I misinterpreting it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich P
United Kingdom
Sheffield
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I didn't know what to do with my UberBadge, so I left it as a GeekBadge.
badge
Planning...
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 1 of the rules says "A creature's ability can be used once every turn (e.g. #111 lion, #121 dromedary, #123 ibex) or, if applicable, when the ability is triggered (e.g. the sloth #149)."

(I missed that rule on my first play of the game and thought they were powerful abilities if unrestricted too. Later, I found that general rule hiding at the bottom right hand corner of the front page of the rulebook.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bateson
United Kingdom
Ross-on-Wye
flag msg tools
badge
Oi! Hands off...
mbmbmbmbmb
woodnoggin wrote:
Page 1 of the rules says "A creature's ability can be used once every turn (e.g. #111 lion, #121 dromedary, #123 ibex) or, if applicable, when the ability is triggered (e.g. the sloth #149).

(I missed that rule on my first play of the game and thought they were powerful abilities if unrestricted too. Later, I found that general rule hiding at the bottom right hand corner of the front page of the rulebook.)

Yup, I missed that one good. I thought it was a bit odd because the other similar cards have very clear text that they can only be used once.

The follow-up question then occurs that surely the example given for the Dromedary in the rulebook is wrong? The text on the Dromedary clearly refers to another animal, so it cannot evolve itself 'for free'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Breese
United Kingdom
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwickshire
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ousgg wrote:
The follow-up question then occurs that surely the example given for the Dromedary in the rulebook is wrong? The text on the Dromedary clearly refers to another animal, so it cannot evolve itself 'for free'.
Hello Ben,

You are correct, in the example in paragraph one of page 2 of the rules is correct in principle, but I should not have used the dromedary (#121) as the example because, as you state, the dromedary can only evolve other creatures, not itself.

By way of background, this was a late change in the cards wording to prevent the dromedary evolving itself more than once in one turn in conjunction with the mountain goat (‘#124), wildebeest (#125), elk (#223) and/or water buffalo (#224). The same issue does not arise with adapt or multiply as these cards are placed below the existing cards, not on top.

Apologies for any confusion. I hope you will enjoy the game and discovering the different tactics and possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.