United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously.

I was just watching the Undead Viking's review of Sword & Sorcery and was thinking about how the game is just like every other Dungeon romp out there. I mean, what do you do? You pick characters, enter a dungeon and roll dice. Sure, the mechanics might differ, but you still have tons of cards with abilities built in. The theme seems so pasted on. (as a side note, I am really getting pissed off at the amount of games loaded with card based abilities. I don't consider that good game design. The game starts playing itself, but I digress).

Kingdom Death is so different. When I backed it on Kickstarter (like SO many other games) I had hoped that Adam's vision for the game would somehow work out. Beautiful miniatures with a multi-tiered level of gameplay. Yeah, it wasn't all about the miniatures. It was those gear cards; the puzzle aspect to them intrigued me; that survival storyline......

So, I get the game and it looks beautiful. Huge rulebook, settlement cards, event cards, gear cards, miniatures, huge board, etc, etc, etc. The first reports come in about genuine gameplay. I'm thinking that maybe Adam pulled it off after all. Maybe this isn't gilded crap in a box like so many other Kickstarters. The rules look straight forward....the mechanics look awesome and they make thematical sense.

I show the game to my gaming group and they are interested. Excellent. I paint up the Prologue and off we go. I am going through the book and it is flowing the game beautifully: No long pregnant pauses trying to find some fiddley rule. After our first session, my brain is going a mile a minute. Another two sessions go by.... Did we get what we should in weapons? Was that piece of armor going to work? Why did I think it was a good idea for my character Lara (the group tank) to attack after being offered a thrown founding stone? Yeah, she died just like that on that last role. Crap. I liked her. She did the impossible in the last battle and rolled a lantern on the wound chart for a head hit. She became a badass....a deaf one at that. But now she is gone......

Cannibals? Not my group. Take the toys away from the kids? Not us. We love the little sprogs. We get a gifted set of twins from Adam and Camellia. We lose Shoa in childbirth. This stuff matters to us. We got Ammonia, so we are moving along....our first leather pieces are being fabricated. Eve is now named the Foolish Savior of the Antelope. Interesting but unfortunate nickname..... Ok, another hunt.......

So much richness and we haven't even gotten started. My group and I discussed the game and later in the week I get a text out of nowhere from a member of the group. He offers some suggestions for our next encounter. He never did that before.....mmmm weird.

This game has ruined me. How can I possibly play any other boardgame that purports role playing as a function of the game? THIS is what I call role playing. Even as we say goodbye to Lara as we bury her body, and welcome Eve, I feel I am there in the settlement with them. For the first time, I am not just entering a dungeon to fight monsters, no... I am living the game. From birth to death and everything in between, the player gets to experience the ups and downs; everything from a missing eye to the moment that your charactor masters their weapon or loses his wife to a King's Hand. It is in the game. That is immersion.

Alright, I have been writing too much already. Is it Friday yet?

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
Seriously.

I was just watching the Undead Viking's review of Sword & Sorcery and was thinking about how the game is just like every other Dungeon romp out there. I mean, what do you do? You pick characters, enter a dungeon and roll dice.

Wow, I just about posted this exact same thing today. KDM has absolutely ruined my gaming hobby, which is comical because I was worried about spending too much on KDM but it will probably save me money in the long run. In fact, I cancelled my Myth and 7th Continent pledges since I've started playing KDM because those games seem so flat now. I want all my money going to KDM expansions so that this game can have loads more content coming out for many years to come.

Also,

Teamski wrote:
No long pregnant pauses trying to find some fiddley rule.

(Edit: Apparently this is a term I need to use more! Thanks for that.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad I jumped on the pre-order!

Your comments (amongst others) are very reassuring. I hope some of the expansion content also goes up on pre-order, cause I'm all in!

I remember checking out the KS campaign and being like "I don't get the gameplay -- is it just a series of encounters? Pass...". My bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Bless the Maker and His water... Bless the coming and going of Him... May His passage cleanse the world...
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of crap du jour on KS, I agree.
This one dropped the mic... it's definitely one that has redefined gaming for me.

I just caught up with a friend on the phone, telling him about KD:M... then, of course, "how can I find this?" The price. Of course, those inside the joke know it is every bit worth the preorder price, even the full retail. KS backers got a stupendous deal. Still find myself in awe of the game...

I'll finish a session, pack it up, and just glance through the rulebook... all while chuckling aloud... in a sorta fog of disbelief: it exists, it is in my hands... is this a dream? Is this really real? Will I wake up tomorrow, this just some figment of a delusional mind?

Nope. It exists. The wildest hunts and battle for survival amongst nightmarish entities in a bleak world.

No Dungeon Du Jour here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
François Mahieu
Belgium
Rhode-Saint-Genèse
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Now I'm willing my box to be delivered! (But I surely won't cancel my Folklore: The Affliction pledge.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Teamski wrote:
This game has ruined me. How can I possibly play any other boardgame that purports role playing as a function of the game? THIS is what I call role playing. Even as we say goodbye to Lara as we bury her body, and welcome Eve, I feel I am there in the settlement with them. For the first time, I am not just entering a dungeon to fight monsters, no... I am living the game. From birth to death and everything in between, the player gets to experience the ups and downs; everything from a missing eye to the moment that your charactor masters their weapon or loses his wife to a King's Hand. It is in the game. That is immersion.

Amen to that. I'm looking at my game shelf and wondering if I will ever play some games again. Shadows of Brimstone? Mice and Mystics? Imperial Assault? All good games....but games that would take hours and hours away from time I could be playing KDM.

I foresee some major purging of my collection.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
"buying kingdom death monster will save you money."

^^this should be written on the box laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valadez
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
"RAWR!" means "I love you" in kaiju.
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope the game lives up to all this hype when it arrives. Other Dungeon Crawlers (specifically Descent) still have a place in my collection for "one-shot" plays. Or can KD:M be used for casual play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien M
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could easily do the prologue lion for a one shot play for new players. I'd also like to see some "scenarios" where it gives you 4 survivors with specific equipment and stats. You would then need to defeat a certain monster, maybe with a set AI deck or randomized. Example: See the Gencon demo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
red black wrote:
I'm averse to KS'ing anything but in hindsight I would have backed this at the $100 level. What prevents me from pre-ordering at $300 is that the game is purely co-op (not to my gaming taste), that the best part of the game doesn't quite sit right with me (how much innovation can one generation in one settlement achieve? I don't know anything about the innovation cards but I'm guessing the scale is off? And if the survivors are constantly battling when do they find time to innovate?) and that I'm not sure I'm up to assembling that many models. But for $100, I'd have bought in. Now I think, I'll just wait for a Calandale-esque video review) Oh, and the fact that there seems to be fan made improvements to various game parts is also a detraction for me at $300.

Not purely co-op.
One person can play the monsters and be the story teller/GM while the other plays the survivors... The game can also be played solo.

One could probably spend as much time in the settlement phase as in the showdown (battle) phase.
The game is all about innovation to get the survivors through the next hunt/encounter. Those who do not innovate become extinct.

Fan made improvements?
Do you mean the character and settlement sheets?
I have yet to see a game where someone does not want to change an aspect or make a house rule... Yes, some clarifications are needed and a FAQ made, but KD:M plays just fine out of the box.

Figures don't even need to be assembled, you could just play with the token bases or make paper stand-ups, otherwise only 5 miniatures (probably the 5 easiest ones in the box) need to be assembled to get started.

I understand balking at the $300 price tag... but there is a lot of content in this box. Compared to SpaceHulk (a $100 game/$300+ at its peak) KD:M easily gives 3 times the value.

A way to justify the cost is to look at how much you spend to go to a movie. $10-$15? for a 90min - 2hr movie... Think of the game as the cost of going to 20 movies (30-40hrs) and you still get +10hrs of game play... I've seen an estimated 50hrs to get through a campaign, and each play through will be different... just a thought

Best to find someone who has the game and give it a try...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Piechocki
msg tools
mbmbmb
poifpoif wrote:
Wow. Now I'm willing my box to be delivered! (But I surely won't cancel my Folklore: The Affliction pledge.)

Bah, you just cost me $150 - I'd missed that one. Damn that looks good - at 3 hrs left too.

Edit: Scratch that $300 - the bonuses are far too worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Don’t go back. Reject the cult of the new. Player fewer games but higher quality ones. Throw that glass slipper away as you’ve found her.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VaclavRomanov wrote:
poifpoif wrote:

Bah, you just cost me $150 - I'd missed that one. Damn that looks good - at 3 hrs left too.

Really? Kind of surprised how much that game has raised. The presentation looks awful and the d100 combat is strange to say the least. The enemy cards say "Dangerous" and "Terrifying"! I hope you like it but that's $300 you could use for KDM expansions, dude.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Piechocki
msg tools
mbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
VaclavRomanov wrote:
poifpoif wrote:

Really? Kind of surprised how much that game has raised. The presentation looks awful and the d100 combat is strange to say the least. The enemy cards say "Dangerous" and "Terrifying"! I hope you like it but that's $300 you could use for KDM expansions, dude.

Wife loves Brimstone style games. Until I convert her, she goes whole hog into the like - and she's got her own portion of the gaming budget. She's not allocating any of hers towards KDM yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Carr
United States
Ruckersville
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just canceled Scythe pledge to prep for expansion preorders on this... and I have not even played it yet(shipping to me now)... but I hear you on the multiple dungeon crawl BG's on KS... I kept my myth pledge but I am 'in love' with the card play/art style... that said I am looking at my game collection and eyeing out ones to sell(and I dislike selling games) to acquire more expansions for KDM....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm getting ready to cancel my pledge for Sword & Sorcery. I really don't see anything that appeals to me about it at this point. Add the fact that they added the $40 expansion to it dulled my interest as it looks to be another KS money grab.

I certainly hope that everybody who gets KD experiences the same joy I get with it. Obviously, there are others out there that share my view of the game.

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
See? KDM saves money. Next, we need to prove it saves lives.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
badge
LIFEFORM - LIVE NOW ON KICKSTARTER!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

goo

So, we're just going to politically gloss over the hundreds of casualties of finger-to-glue interfacing are we? People still think I'm giving them a Vulcan salute...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Gordon
United Kingdom
Brampton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Mysterons - my kind of club...
mbmbmbmbmb
Stu Holttum wrote:
I foresee some major purging of my collection.....

Keep me posted on that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It does save lives.
I had to sell an organ to buy this game with its expansions, so it is reasonable to think that someone, somewhere, has been transplanted since...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doc Hogan
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had to share to FB (personal wall, and By Lantern's Light fan page). Hope that's okay, Ski

Teamski wrote:
Seriously.

I was just watching the Undead Viking's review of Sword & Sorcery and was thinking about how the game is just like every other Dungeon romp out there. I mean, what do you do? You pick characters, enter a dungeon and roll dice. Sure, the mechanics might differ, but you still have tons of cards with abilities built in. The theme seems so pasted on. (as a side note, I am really getting pissed off at the amount of games loaded with card based abilities. I don't consider that good game design. The game starts playing itself, but I digress).

Kingdom Death is so different. When I backed it on Kickstarter (like SO many other games) I had hoped that Adam's vision for the game would somehow work out. Beautiful miniatures with a multi-tiered level of gameplay. Yeah, it wasn't all about the miniatures. It was those gear cards; the puzzle aspect to them intrigued me; that survival storyline......

So, I get the game and it looks beautiful. Huge rulebook, settlement cards, event cards, gear cards, miniatures, huge board, etc, etc, etc. The first reports come in about genuine gameplay. I'm thinking that maybe Adam pulled it off after all. Maybe this isn't gilded crap in a box like so many other Kickstarters. The rules look straight forward....the mechanics look awesome and they make thematical sense.

I show the game to my gaming group and they are interested. Excellent. I paint up the Prologue and off we go. I am going through the book and it is flowing the game beautifully: No long pregnant pauses trying to find some fiddley rule. After our first session, my brain is going a mile a minute. Another two sessions go by.... Did we get what we should in weapons? Was that piece of armor going to work? Why did I think it was a good idea for my character Lara (the group tank) to attack after being offered a thrown founding stone? Yeah, she died just like that on that last role. Crap. I liked her. She did the impossible in the last battle and rolled a lantern on the wound chart for a head hit. She became a badass....a deaf one at that. But now she is gone......

Cannibals? Not my group. Take the toys away from the kids? Not us. We love the little sprogs. We get a gifted set of twins from Adam and Camellia. We lose Shoa in childbirth. This stuff matters to us. We got Ammonia, so we are moving along....our first leather pieces are being fabricated. Eve is now named the Foolish Savior of the Antelope. Interesting but unfortunate nickname..... Ok, another hunt.......

So much richness and we haven't even gotten started. My group and I discussed the game and later in the week I get a text out of nowhere from a member of the group. He offers some suggestions for our next encounter. He never did that before.....mmmm weird.

Alright, I have been writing too much already. Is it Friday yet?

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
No problem.

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Love your passion for the game and personal experiences you had.
You should definitely write a review of this game! Because it's difficult to convey what this game brings to the table.

Passing your post on to my friends who haven't bought into the idea yet actually made more impact than me trying to explain mechanics or attempting to summarize the gameplay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Norman
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The mini-review quoted above is what convinced me to pre-order. Really looking forward to getting the game, even though I've never assembled or painted minis before.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

goo

So, we're just going to politically gloss over the hundreds of casualties of finger-to-glue interfacing are we? People still think I'm giving them a Vulcan salute...

You could save yourself that problem by using plastic cement.

Kingdom Death has inspired similar feelings in me; there are a lot of games that I'm just not really interested in playing any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.