Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jo Chu
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did not see this posted yet.

http://www.gametrademagazine.com/Home/1/1/58/591?articleID=1...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
"Come, and trip it as you go..."
badge
"...on the light fantastic toe."
mbmbmbmbmb
LOL, Wizkids sure is getting mileage out of those same minis. But I don't think anyone expected otherwise.

I can't wait to see the same generic screen shots from the show again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Clevenger
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see some news on this. Thanks for sharing.

cbazler wrote:
LOL, Wizkids sure is getting mileage out of those same minis. But I don't think anyone expected otherwise.

Yes, those fools for using the same minis. It must be a crazy scheme to keep costs low and make money. The nerve ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
txaal wrote:

cbazler wrote:

Yes, those fools for using the same minis. It must be a crazy scheme to keep costs low and make money. The nerve ...

MSRP $79.99.

I'd love them a lot more if these same minis saved us some money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

I can't wait to see the actual game ... this post was such a tease... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:

I'm not sure I'd assume those are official photos, to be honest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if those are the only 4 captains you can play as, or if those are just sample.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sumit K
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds very similar to Mage Knight!

Crew members sound like units, away missions sounds like dungeons, aggressive foes sounds like wandering orcs, Borgs sound like cities.

Can't wait to see more and hope there are some more changes to give it the sci-fi/space exploration feel!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very cool to include Sisko and Martok! DS9 was an excellent show. That also seems to hint at Dominion War scenario possibilities with the Jem'Hadar, Cardassians, and Breen.

But Lursa and B'Etor? Seriously? Oh, well.

cbazler wrote:

I really hope they don't do this. That would turn me from "on the verge of auto-buy" to "no desire to buy." I absolutely hate TV and movie stills in games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Holmes
Canada
Caledonia
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't stand the heroclix stands and was hoping they wouldn't be part of this game. For some reason I just thought (dreamt?) that this would a game where you were a generic captain and could create your own crew/story. Don't get me wrong, I love Kirk/Picard but I wanted to finally play out the story of a captain/crew/ship that no one had ever heard of before.

I will still probably buy it because I loved Mage Knight (I just couldn't find anyone to play it with me and I had grown bored of the solo game) but I was really hoping for something special. WizKids just continues to disappoint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PC ichigo
Thailand
Bangbuathong
Nonthaburi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it is the Picard era, huh?

I was hoping to see the new one or alternative story line like another side of story where there is no main character to play with as same as heroes in Starwars Imperial Assult.

...well this one is not bad, but I hope that they dont use the movie screenshot which I am starting to worry that they are going to do it. Now the next problem is that everyone going to play the enterprise isn't it? laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Mackie
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mb
Not sure if I like the metallic look of the ships,would prefer plain coloring like Star Trek Fleet Captains. Will either repaint them or just use the Star Trek Attack Wing miniatures

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Neave-Houghting
United Kingdom
Basildon
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pcichigo wrote:
So, it is the Picard era, huh?

I was hoping to see the new one or alternative story line like another side of story where there is no main character to play with as same as heroes in Starwars Imperial Assult.

...well this one is not bad, but I hope that they dont use the movie screenshot which I am starting to worry that they are going to do it. Now the next problem is that everyone going to play the enterprise isn't it? laugh

Next-Gen is what got me into Trek, I love that it's looking like that era. I also think Martok is great and will happily play as him....I think I'd happily play as all tbh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
JYoder wrote:

I really hope they don't do this. That would turn me from "on the verge of auto-buy" to "no desire to buy." I absolutely hate TV and movie stills in games.

All of the WizKids Trek games so far have used stills from the show. I wouldn't get your hopes up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Sassycat wrote:
JYoder wrote:

All of the WizKids Trek games so far have used stills from the show. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
txaal wrote:

cbazler wrote:

MSRP $79.99.

I'd love them a lot more if these same minis saved us some money!

I'd love them if they didn't make me buy the same minis over and over. Or at least let me buy a mini-less game so I can use my Attack Wing figs.

ETA: And why would I want to play Lursa and Betor? Why not Gowron? Or Kor?!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get why stills are a problem. It's a tv lisence. Wouldn't redoing the artwork limit the authenticity of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
And why would I want to play Lursa and Betor? Why not Gowron? Or Kor?!!

Why wouldn't you? They seem like they'd be great fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanael Robinson
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dengue wrote:
I don't get why stills are a problem. It's a tv lisence. Wouldn't redoing the artwork limit the authenticity of the game?

First, the captures that Wizkids has used are low resolution. TNG had been updated; DS9 has not.

Second, to give the impression that the players are doing something original.

Third, to compete better with FFG's Star Wars graphics. Better graphics, better sales, better support, better expansions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bad Thoughts wrote:
dengue wrote:

First, the captures that Wizkids has used are low resolution. TNG had been updated; DS9 has not.

Second, to give the impression that the players are doing something original.

Third, to compete better with FFG's Star Wars graphics. Better graphics, better sales, better support, better expansions.

FFG's BSG uses show stills and it looks nice...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Grace
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dengue wrote:

Does imperial assault feel unauthentic to you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Yoder
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dengue wrote:

I think it gives it a cheap, cheesy, archaic look, like something done with merchandise tie-ins back in the 80's. Stills are also usually a bit grainy and drab. All this sticks out more when contrasted with some artwork and backgrounds in the same game, as if 2 different art forms are in competition, rather than giving a cohesive unity to the layout.

Plus, I'm already familiar with the stills. I want something fresh and new and different. It also allows for an artist's re-imagining take, which I find far more enjoyable. It's dynamic. Stills are static.

I will take this...

... over this...

... every single time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Bazler
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly don't care that much what the minis and pics look like as long as the game is good. If the figures and images are recycled from literally three other games, it's just a reflection of the amount of time and energy WizKids wants to put into their own product.

I do find it somewhat amusing that between Heroclix, STAW, Fleet Captains, and this, some people are going to own four identical miniatures of the Negh'Var, and countless copies of washed out, nearly identical, and lazily chosen images, even in the same game. Just a couple of my favorite examples of WizKids' graphic design genius:

P.S. Lursa and B'Etor are AWESOME, and I am excited to be able to play them! Both are sadly (and strangely) absent from Attack Wing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pauly Paul
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cbazler wrote:
I honestly don't care that much what the minis and pics look like as long as the game is good. If the figures and images are recycled from literally three other games, it's just a reflection of the amount of time and energy WizKids wants to put into their own product.

I do find it somewhat amusing that between Heroclix, STAW, Fleet Captains, and this, some people are going to own four identical miniatures of the Negh'Var, and countless copies of washed out, nearly identical, and lazily chosen images, even in the same game. Just a couple of my favorite examples of WizKids' graphic design genius:

P.S. Lursa and B'Etor are AWESOME, and I am excited to be able to play them! Both are sadly (and strangely) absent from Attack Wing.

This is how I feel. I just want something different from the usual, boring stills. I love Star Trek and I enjoy the Star Trek games I own, but it's decisions like this that make me wish someone else held the license.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Metz
United States
Garner
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With imperial assault and lord of the rings, both are using material either from the books, notes, or extended universe. They have no choice but to commission new art or restrain themselves to a small universe of characters and settings. With Star Trek, there's gotta be around a thousand episodes to draw from so commissioning new art is a bit redundant to my mind. Now idea was to pull from the Star Trek novels, I'd be more inclined to go along with new art, but I don't see the kind of devotion to the Star Trek literature that there is to the Star Wars; if I had to guess, this is again because of the wealth of material already in the Star Trek universe.

I hope the images chosen are interesting and dynamic, but let's be honest, as great as it was, next gen wasn't a very dynamic show. So many characters only exist as framed torsos on a view screen, and I figure at least a quarter of all the footage from those episodes consists of the main characters sitting in their chairs bouncing around. It was great drama and a wonderful world to imagine, but not really interesting because of its eye candy (again, not Star Wars). So I think expectations need to be in alignment with the source material.

I want to be able to control the complex resources of a starship to solve weird problems of diplomacy and occasional bravado. The Mage knight system seems better suited to that than to military combat. So I'm looking forward to it.

I would very much like to see something more like imperial assault featuring the new movie reboots, though and would be more willing to accept artwork there because the rebooted universe is less associated with vacuum tubes in my heart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.