Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
EJ Holleman
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Setting up was taking longer than playing this game. I've read stories on BGG about such short games, but never thought it would happen here.....

I played the game with both expansions.

I'd randomly drawn Montery Jack as the Investigator, and Shudde M'ell as the GOO. Jack started with the following equipment (besides his fixed possessions): Enchanted Cane (+3 Magical Weapon) and Obsedian Statue (Discard to cancel Sanity/Stamina loss). I'd also drawn the Stealth-skill (exhaust to re-roll Evade Check).

The game:

The first Mythos I got was "A dark wind covers Arkham". Nothing special, apart from the terror level rising. A gate opened at the Unvisited Isle, and a Ghost appeared ("Whoooo!")

Jack starts in the Curiositie Shoppe, close to the just-opened gate. With speed 3 I was able to reach the haunted location.
I decided to fight the ghost, because my Sneak was 1 (and the ghosts' awareness is -3), so there was no way I could evade it.
With my will at 0 (and Horror checks -2, thanks to the Mythos-card), I was about to loose 2 Sanity to the Horror Check. I discarded my Obsidian Statue to cancel that.

After that I was ready to slaughter the Ghost. With 5 die (Fight=5, +3 from the Enchanted Cane, -3 from the Ghost), I was easily able to throw a succes (two actually, a 5 and a 6). The Ghost ... well... eh.. died.

I entered the gate to the Great Hall of Celeano. The first encounter was "A monster appears!". Another Ghost. I decided again to pass the evade-check and entered combat. Lost the Horror-check (again!) but this time I couldn't cancel the Sanity-loss, so, 1 Sanity left.
The Ghost was as easily defeated as the first one.

As I was playing with only one Investigator, I got two turns in a row, before drawing another Mythos-card. So I entered the second half of the gate, drawing another encounter: "A man in a coat takes your arm,...blablablah". I had to take the Local Guide card, but gained one Sanity.

Then I had to draw the next Mythos-card, and I thought "Well, here goes...". Normally, with a start like this, it goes downhill very quickly! But not today, no, not today.......!

I drew "Scientist Warns of Dimensional Rift!" with a gate appearing at....the Unvisited Isle! A monster surge happened, with Shudde M'ell destroying my River Docks, and the Terror level increasing again.
The monster appearing at my only open gate was -"Tekeli-li! Tekeli-li!"- Shoggoth.

My turn again.

Returning to Arkham, I closed the gate with a Lore check (Lore=4, -1 from the gate). After checking and checking the rules again and again, I decided I had won the game!

Well, very short game, and the second game I've ever won since bying this wonderful game (although I hope that the next victory will be more rewarding!!!!)

Greetz,

EJH

P.S. Being the enormous rules-game Arkham Horror is, I hope that I've played it right. Every time I play, I discover some new rules (well, not every time, but ...) Should you read something strange or wrong, please tell me (and I mean something wrong with the rules, not with my English). Thanks and cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wilson
Canada
Riverview
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cool writeup!

What you should have done was immediately play another game and tell Jack that the first one was just a dream
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Boyes
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! When playing solo you get two turns before drawing a mythos card?

That makes playing solo much easier! zombie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
EJ Holleman
Netherlands
Hengelo
Overijssel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, you don't automatically get an extra turn. It's a houserule I read on the forums which I liked (Arkham is a very tough place for just one Investigator.....)

In this case, the houserule was very welcome...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.