Popular Tags: [View All]
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, im going to try to keep this one brief and properly delineated into steps so that others can read this later and and get some help if necessary.

The Situation: I am about to state an amphibious assult from two spaces off the coast of Western US. The assult force consists of two transports (of course) two battleships, and two aircraft carriers each carriying two fighters.

In the way, gaurding the coast are a few subs and battleships owned by the US (it's not important in this question what they are exactly).

So, I know that any battleships (or destroyers, if you have the upgrade) involved in "clearing out" the landing space for the transports DONT GET TO TAKE PART IN SHORE BOMBARDMENT,

but from what I thought I read, in regards to the fighters, you have to decide WHICH FIGHTERS TO COMMIT TO THE SEA BATTLE AND WHICH TO COMMIT TO THE LAND BATTLE.

So, BEFORE I MOVE ANYTHING ELSE, i "launch" my fighters from their carriers two spaces out, two choose to move ONE space ahead to help the assulting sea ships bust though the US sea forces, while the other two move TWO spaces, therby "overflying" the sea battle and positioning themselves as air cover for the land troops that AS OF YET, HAVENT LANDED, because, THE TRANSPORTS CANNOT UNLOAD UNTIL THE SEA PORTION OF THE AMBHIBIOUS ASSULT HAS BEEN WON, correct?

Assuming I have this correctly, it just seems kind of risky that you have to commit those fighters before you even know if there are going to be any forces landing at all.

Let's assume after I did this, that my sea forces trying to land got routed (all transports and everything else gone) and now MY FIGHTERS HAVE NO GROUND FORCES TO FIGHT WITH ANYMORE.

Are they allowed to retreat right then and there? Or do they have to go though one entire round of combat (attacker, then defender) before trying to find someplace to land (probably back on the carrier that is two spaces off shore?

Hope this wasn't too much of an obtuse question to pose or to figure out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clint Walker
United States
Mattoon
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to the both of you. I really wanted to be sure I made the situation clear for myself (and for all future readers).

I love A&A so far (ive only had it a few weeks) but whew, that's a lot of rules! Thankfully, I had been primed in my early teens by the Buck Rogers and the Battle for the 25th century game, which playes a lot like AandA, otherwise id still be confused probably!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zack goodwin
msg tools
wait what was the answer?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The fighters must fight for one round, then they may retreat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.