Subject: War Caster and token requirements rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
I posted this at the Wizkid's rules forum, but they don't seem to be very responsive when it comes to approving rules questions.
I thought I'd post it here also.

Does a creature with the War Caster upgrade (Arcane or Divine) still need a token to cast a spell?
My thinking is no, due to the WC upgrade fulfilling the requirement of needing a token to cast a spell. I could it being argued that a token is still required, because of the wording of the rules.

Any thoughts on this?

Kevin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I suppose someone who feels like parsing every word of the upgrade for spells could argue that because it says 'spend YOUR concentrate/target token' and not 'A concentrate/target token' that the spell presupposes the existence of the token. But that feels extremely rules lawyerly and like it comes from someone running a dragon that doesn't want to get disintegrated . I believe the intent is that no you do not need to have the token and have never come up against the opposite argument.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Smith
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
ajones81 wrote:
I suppose someone who feels like parsing every word of the upgrade for spells could argue that because it says 'spend YOUR concentrate/target token' and not 'A concentrate/target token' that the spell presupposes the existence of the token. But that feels extremely rules lawyerly and like it comes from someone running a dragon that doesn't want to get disintegrated . I believe the intent is that no you do not need to have the token and have never come up against the opposite argument.

Yep, I totally agree.
Having to (also) have a token to initiate a spell cast diminishes the value of WC to the point where it might not really be worth it to use it. As it is, it's probably a once a game effect anyway.
Although a targeted (or concentrated) Disintegrate just *might* be worth the cost...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Parks
United States
Somerset
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Quixotic Games: www.quixoticgames.com
badge
Dungeon Alliance: Available Now!
mbmbmbmbmb
War Caster allows you to cast the Spell even if you do not have the token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.