Popular Tags: [View All]
K K
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
For the 2 milestones,
"First burger/pizza produced, +1 burger/pizza cook"

If you took a Kitchen Trainee on the first turn, and you produced a burger/pizza on the second turn, do you lose the +1 burger/pizza cook milestone due to salary payment? You should have $0 on the second turn.

I was wondering if the above rule interpretation was correct, as that would eliminate 2 strategic options at the beginning?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karan R
India
Mumbai
flag msg tools
It's Karan, not Karen!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's right afaik
You want to hold off and pair that with a first waitress played or first training if possible
Else wait for 2 waitress incomes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K K
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like a funny game design. Perhaps the game designer should have given $10 starting money to each player. It would close the gap on collecting milestones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolas Co
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nikezz wrote:
Seems like a funny game design. Perhaps the game designer should have given $10 starting money to each player. It would close the gap on collecting milestones.
The only "gap" I can see is that some milestones are only desirable later, which doesn't seem like a problem in and of itself. It's also worth considering when to deny opponents milestones. For example, with a single trainee you can potentially deny both free cooks to opponents who might otherwise make good use of them. Of course, you also need to consider what you could be doing instead.

The first few rounds of FCM are things that would be done during setup in many games, but there are meaningful choices to be made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard Vierthaler
Austria
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And don´t forget the fridge for the first player who throws away food...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andi Hub
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nikezz wrote:

What gap are you talking about? Why should you start with a kitchen trainee? There is no demand in the second round. If you want to get the fridge, use a errand boy instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nikezz wrote:
Seems like a funny game design. Perhaps the game designer should have given $10 starting money to each player.

I'm sure they tested that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not all milestones are meant to be grabbed on the first turn, even those that look like they should be grabbed early.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nikezz wrote:
Hi,
For the 2 milestones,

If you took a Kitchen Trainee on the first turn, and you produced a burger/pizza on the second turn, do you lose the +1 burger/pizza cook milestone due to salary payment? You should have $0 on the second turn.

I was wondering if the above rule interpretation was correct, as that would eliminate 2 strategic options at the beginning?

I think generally everyone understands, but you do not lose the milestone, you lose the cook that the milestone provides. You still have the milestone (which admittedly has no inherent benefit left).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nikezz wrote:
Hi,
For the 2 milestones,

Where does it say you can lose milestones? I'm really confused about this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Geller
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
nikezz wrote:
Hi,
For the 2 milestones,

You can't have any money on the second turn, so you have to fire the cook.

Edit: you can have money if you first hired a waitress, but the question supposes you first hired a Kitchen Trainee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would have to have two waitresses out in your tableau to afford the Pizza Cook (you need $5 for salaries unless you have a salary reduction card, which you won't on the second turn, waitress pays $3). You do not lose milestones.

It's a difficult game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
My words literally betray me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:
You would have to have two waitresses out in your tableau to afford the Pizza Cook (you need $5 for salaries unless you have a salary reduction card, which you won't on the second turn, waitress pays $3). You do not lose milestones.

It's a difficult game.

separately, what is the thematic reason that Waitress = money for you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

You're a greedy CEO, you steal their tips.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwill2 wrote:

It's a difficult game.

Unless you're the first to hire a waitress, in which case you'll need only one of them to pay a single salary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

You're a greedy CEO, you steal their tips.

before you start producing food?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are THAT good-looking.
I see the no food/drink selling waitresses as just small restaurants selling too low to be represented in the game but still selling some food or drinks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessandro Cingolani
Italy
Arezzo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:

What they do before producing and selling food/drinks it's under a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jschlickbernd wrote:
nikezz wrote:
Hi,
For the 2 milestones,

You cannot lose milestones. But the benefit this one provides, the burger cook or the pizza cook, can be lost and would be lost in the example being discussed. Saying the milestone is being lost is perhaps sloppy use of language, but does more or less describe the impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NotJeff wrote:
nikezz wrote:
Hi,
For the 2 milestones,

I think generally everyone understands, but you do not lose the milestone, you lose the cook that the milestone provides. You still have the milestone (which admittedly has no inherent benefit left).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Goodwin
United Kingdom
Robertsbridge
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game, with 3 players, two of us went straight for the Kitchen Trainee while the other went for marketing.

We immediately produced a burger to throw away as we were very keen to get the freezer, not caring that we'd have to fire the bonus cook.

For the rest of the game it really helped us to be able to store up to 10 food/drink items each round while the other player had to throw away surplus.

Although he got underway with marketing a little earlier, our ability to meet the demands for multiple food items from single households using our freezer stores meant his marketing helped us more than him - he couldn't produce enough to satisfy demand so we got his customers instead, even from the other side of town.

So for us in that game at least, immediately going for the Kitchen Trainee led to success despite losing the bonus cook from the milestone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
Norway
Oslo
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want the fridge, the Errand Boy looks to be a better way to get it as the associated milestone is useful in this context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mfl134
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2bit wrote:
In our first game, with 3 players, two of us went straight for the Kitchen Trainee while the other went for marketing.

We immediately produced a burger to throw away as we were very keen to get the freezer, not caring that we'd have to fire the bonus cook.

For the rest of the game it really helped us to be able to store up to 10 food/drink items each round while the other player had to throw away surplus.

Although he got underway with marketing a little earlier, our ability to meet the demands for multiple food items from single households using our freezer stores meant his marketing helped us more than him - he couldn't produce enough to satisfy demand so we got his customers instead, even from the other side of town.

So for us in that game at least, immediately going for the Kitchen Trainee led to success despite losing the bonus cook from the milestone.

also, it sounds like you are saying it worked because somebody was doing your advertising for you. Seems like doing lots of marketing while others have lots of food is a mistake.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Goodwin
United Kingdom
Robertsbridge
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mfl134 wrote:
2bit wrote:

also, it sounds like you are saying it worked because somebody was doing your advertising for you. Seems like doing lots of marketing while others have lots of food is a mistake.

Absolutely! But it was our first game and mistakes were made

His problem with the marketing was that while we obtained the freezer milestone he obtained the First Billboard Placed milestone, so he paid no salaries for marketeers and gained eternal marketing. That seemed like a good thing.

But once he had placed eternal marketing tiles on the board he couldn't remove them - they remain on the board forever - so they were permanently helping his opponents with freezers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Galandil wrote:
mfl134 wrote:

What they do before producing and selling food/drinks it's under a strict "don't ask, don't tell" policy.

Reminds me of a story that a friend of mine once told me: she went into a coffee shop and asked for a cup of coffee -- and they laughed in her face because of course they did not sell coffee...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.