United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played two games with my wife this evening, I won the first game by eliminating her pieces, she won the second game by eliminating my pieces. Neither of us built many buildings in the first game so it turned into a straight battle. In the second game I went heavy for buildings but she blocked the castles, this left me sitting at 11 points up until she wiped me from the map.

I'm sure we'll get more and more interesting "aha" stuff out as we play more

Interesting notes about 2 player games

- Building all the encampments and towers will get you 11 points, meaning that you'll need to also build a castle or capture an emperor to hit 12 points and win

- There are 3 specifically important locations on the two player setup. There are 2 places that can support castles and one capitol location. In order to win by points, you need to have a building on the capital, and you might need to have a castle to hit 12 points.

- Single units of yours are very important to the end-game, both for keeping you opponent from making a stack of 4 and for allowing you to create stack sizes for stacks you cannot reinforce (adjacent to enemy buildings).

- Placing buildings limits your opponents options for reinforcement, and since you're required to place your emperor if at all possible, this can force your opponent to place their emperor in a weak position.

- Being the player without any single-stacks left means that your opponent has a pretty serious upper hand as they can have four-stacks running around without consequence.

- Force March can have a serious impact especially towards the end of the game, so keep an eye out on your turn as to whether 2 actions might be a lot of fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt L.
United States
Seahurst
Washington
flag msg tools
I have text here
badge
So important!
mbmbmbmbmb
Played again tonight, my wife won again.

We rewound and replayed the last two turns, it was interesting that there were two direct paths to her winning by eliminating my last stack, but if she hadn't I would win on the following turn based on points.

It seems I don't defend well enough.

One more note : I had multiple situations come up where my wife's 3-Stack was threatening a 1-2 stack of mine, I would reinforce the threatened stack to 4, forcing her to either create a 4 stack with her emperor, or sacrifice a 1-stack to destroy my 4-stack. In essence, I was likely to lose a footprint on the board regardless, but if I forced her to kamikaze, then she did as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Interesting! So far we have had two three-player games. Very different outcome and play style due to tile placement, lock-downs (buildings or disc blocking) and/or strategies. Good stuff. Emperors tend to get used as a constructor a lot, thus moving around the board. Never leave your Emperor without a build spot nearby.

Good stuff, well designed and with a classic feel to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
mbmbmbmbmb
LunaWolvesMan wrote:

There are 3 specifically important locations on the two player setup. There are 2 places that can support castles and one capitol location. In order to win by points, you need to have a building on the capital, and you might need to have a castle to hit 12 points.

My two player tiles have 0 mountain spaces (for castles) and 2 capital locations (can support buildings and towers). Are you able to build the 3 point 'castles' in your two player game? Because with my board it appears that the 'castles' cannot be built when playing with 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.