Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
52 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: What does Euro game mean? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
At the risk of exposing myself as a board game fraud or something, I just had hopefully a simple question. I keep seeing mentions of games being "Euro." Does that just mean they're made in Europe or is there more to it than that?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's not just a geographical descriptor, it's about a particular school of design.

The BGG Wiki is pretty good on this- https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eurogame
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brudz
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mb
It has more to do with mechanics than point of origin these days. I'm sure someone with much stronger opinions than I will rehash the differences between "Euro" and "Amerit[h]rash" games soon enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian B.
Denmark
Frederiksberg C
flag msg tools
I don't design games, I play them!
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It means it's a good game, unlike an "Ameritrash" game...


Sorry, couldn't resist. In all seriousness, take a look at the link provided in the post above.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ChrB wrote:
It means it's a good game, unlike an "Ameritrash" game...


It means it's a mass market casual game. Like Flappy Bird.whistle
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Abiezer Coppe wrote:
It's not just a geographical descriptor, it's about a particular school of design.

The BGG Wiki is pretty good on this- https://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Eurogame
I'd also recommend this link:
https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/27367/schools-design-and-...
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Its a way to categorize games. There are multiple terms used to describe the style of gameplay found in a game (listed below) and many games fall into more than one category. The labels are usually used to know what to expect of the game, but its bad way to categorize games, since there are too many games that have exceptions to the definitions, and the definitions themselves leave a lot to interpretation.

Euro: Euro games usually focus more on mechanics and less on theme. The games themselves last 1-4 hours, and require more strategic thought process, and less direct player interaction. Common mechanics found in Euro games are worker placement, area control, action taking. Examples: Brass, Terra Mystica, Agricola, Robinson Crusoe.

Ameritrash: Heavy on theme, with common mechanics like: Push your luck, player elimination, dice rolling, direct player interaction. Usually lasts 30min-1.5hrs. Examples: King of Tokyo, Bang!, Cosmic Encounter.

You can see how a game can be placed with one of these labels, and how easy it is for them to have a gameplay style of both ameritrash and euro. Look at Robinson Crusoe, a worker placement game with many strategic choices, yet it is very heavy on theme, and has a lot of push your luck aspect to it. Or Comic Encounter, where push your luck and negotiation are huge mechanics in the game, yet it still has a strategic thought process that would be consider euro.

tl/dr: These terms are thrown around a lot, but their main goal is to loosely explain the feeling of the game, but as far as labels go, they are not very well defined.
10 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gimo Barrera
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
We should take Bikini Bottom
badge
and push it somewhere else
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrudz wrote:
I'm sure someone with much stronger opinions than I will rehash the differences between "Euro" and "Amerit[h]rash" games soon enough.


I got your back bro!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gimodude wrote:


Ameritrash: Heavy on theme, with common mechanics like: Push your luck, player elimination, dice rolling, direct player interaction. Usually lasts 30min-1.5hrs. Examples: King of Tokyo, Bang!, Cosmic Encounter.



I would have said your Ameritrash examples are all Family games (with the possible exception of Cosmic Encounter). Examples of Ameritrash games are more like Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Symath wrote:
I would have said your Ameritrash examples are all Family games (with the possible exception of Cosmic Encounter). Examples of Ameritrash games are more like Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium.

Which just goes to show how nebulous these silly vaguely defined genre labels are.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlotte M-R
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Which just goes to show how nebulous these silly vaguely defined genre labels are.


Good point!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:

Which just goes to show how nebulous these silly vaguely defined genre labels are.


That's because they describe trends, not hard and fast rules. (That's sometimes forgotten on here but it's important).

To use one of my standard music analogies, Crass and Black Flag are very different musically. But it's still reasonable to call them "punk" bands. The somewhat vague nature of the the descriptors is a feature, not a bug.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Symath wrote:
I would have said your Ameritrash examples are all Family games (with the possible exception of Cosmic Encounter). Examples of Ameritrash games are more like Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium.

Which just goes to show how nebulous these silly vaguely defined genre labels are.


Which is why when someone asks me to define the differences, I tell them I can't, but I know it when I see it.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Katina Choovanski
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
aka KabukiKid on Youtube. Yeah, I have a few online aliases. heh ;-)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe the history of the Eurogame actually stems from post-war Germany... After WWII, games with heavy conflict or war weren't something desired in Germany, so games brewed up that relied more on strategy, less direct interaction between players, and no player elimination, and usually victory points; theme is famously not as strong or important. Originally these types of games were called, "German Games", but eventually became "Eurogames". Catan was the first big Eurogame to hit big in North America, and likely other parts of the world, as well.

Today, a Eurogame is defined by the game-style, and has much less to do with Geography, since there are now "Eurogames" made in the U.S.A., for instance.

Lines are definitely getting more blurred as time goes on, because you see more and more "hybrid" games, which incorporate Eurogame elements with Amerithrash elements. This is a trend I am fond of, and I hope to see more and more games like this as time goes by. :-)

~Kat ^_^

3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I swear, the next person to use the godawful "Amerithrash" is getting a nuke to the face.
17 
 Thumb up
0.10
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig C
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
From my post in the Scythe forum:

Euro Design
"What if people had to choose whether to walk or chew gum?"

"And there was a limited amount of gum--"

"And a small walking space--"

In unison: "So some players might get left out altogether! Brilliant!"

--

Of course, it would end with the AT player shooting them both, taking all the gum and walking off into the sunset.
3 
 Thumb up
0.02
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Berg von Linde
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
badge
Waiting in line for RFTG: Alien Artifacts since 2010
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, its a lot about where the randomness comes into play. In a euro the randomness is often in the setup of the game or before your action (fx dice pools), where as ameritrash is about making a desicon and then seeing if random rolls/card draws goes your way
4 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RJD
United States
Quad-Cities
Illinois
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Symath wrote:
gimodude wrote:


Ameritrash: Heavy on theme, with common mechanics like: Push your luck, player elimination, dice rolling, direct player interaction. Usually lasts 30min-1.5hrs. Examples: King of Tokyo, Bang!, Cosmic Encounter.



I would have said your Ameritrash examples are all Family games (with the possible exception of Cosmic Encounter). Examples of Ameritrash games are more like Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium.


And much, much longer too. The game length times given seem way off. I was under the impression the average Euro usually lasts from 30 min. to 1.5 hours whereas Ameritrash - while having plenty of shorter games too - is also very well known for games commonly last 2-4 hours, 3-6 hours, or longer still, ie. all the more to love!

And the deeper AT games can require just as much strategic thought as their Euro counterparts.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Euro = a conspicuous lack of dice + resource gathering/control.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
TracerBullet wrote:
Euro = a conspicuous lack of dice + resource gathering/control.

And all this time I thought Catan (with conspicuous dice) and Carcassonne (with no resources) were euros!
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
TracerBullet wrote:
Euro = a conspicuous lack of dice + resource gathering/control.
russ wrote:

And all this time I thought Catan (with conspicuous dice) and Carcassonne (with no resources) were euros!
They're overall: 'insipidipshats'; why, just READ about what they'd "supposedly" covered within theirs, AND how it doesn't even compare with 'reality', 'surreality', nor 'obviouscausality'. shake
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
UnluckyNumber wrote:
Symath wrote:
gimodude wrote:


Ameritrash: Heavy on theme, with common mechanics like: Push your luck, player elimination, dice rolling, direct player interaction. Usually lasts 30min-1.5hrs. Examples: King of Tokyo, Bang!, Cosmic Encounter.



I would have said your Ameritrash examples are all Family games (with the possible exception of Cosmic Encounter). Examples of Ameritrash games are more like Arkham Horror or Twilight Imperium.


And much, much longer too. The game length times given seem way off. I was under the impression the average Euro usually lasts from 30 min. to 1.5 hours whereas Ameritrash - while having plenty of shorter games too - is also very well known for games commonly last 2-4 hours, 3-6 hours, or longer still, ie. all the more to love!

And the deeper AT games can require just as much strategic thought as their Euro counterparts.

I concur, the idea that AT games generally go "30-90 minutes" or somehow lack strategic/tactical depth is completely preposterous to me as an AT-player. I play AT games in part because to me, they're a lot less shallow and simple than Euros (And of course, because I like theme and interaction). The definition "Euro = brainburner, AT = Monopoly & Risk" is the result of a Eurogamer's echo chamber, not a sober examination of the genres.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PBrudz wrote:
"Amerit[h]rash"


I wish people, aka The Dice Tower, would quit using that bastardization of a word.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
matthean wrote:
PBrudz wrote:
"Amerit[h]rash"


I wish people, aka The Dice Tower, would quit using that bastardization of a word.



Yeah, makes for a really trashy word (followed by the fact the a niche, of a niche are the only ones who will say it). Maybe if AT games were better we wouldn't call them trash whistle (this place needs a pot stir emoticon)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
darthain wrote:


Yeah, makes for a really trashy word (followed by the fact the a niche, of a niche are the only ones who will say it). Maybe if AT games were better we wouldn't call them trash whistle (this place needs a pot stir emoticon)


Maybe if Eurogames were more interesting they'd have an interesting name like we do? ninja
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.