Thor Egil Braadland
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Thor Egil Braadland, Oslo
badge
Thor Egil Braadland, Oslo
mbmbmbmbmb
As both a social geographer and a boardgamer, I have a profound interest in nicely drawn and meaningfull boardgame real-world maps. By meaningfull I mean that the mere physical extent and the role of the map makes the game what it is; it adds to a game where space matters, a game where the functionality and the construction of the map in itself adds importantly to the game.

For these reasons, I love Axis & Allies, Mare Nostrum, Risk Napolèon, Alex the Great, El Grande, Funkenschlag, Stephensons rocket a.o. for their nice and meaningfull maps

- and was similarly disappointed by Oltre Mare, with a nice map but where the map in itself plays a marginal role for the solution of the game.

My questions are:

1) How can we turn "Map" and "Real world map" into separate game categories on Boardgamegeek?

2) Meanwhile, how can I search and find nicely drawn and meaningfull boardgame real-world map games on BGG? Does anybody know of a Geeklist that fills this purpose? (I will start my own of course, unless it already exists).

Regards
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, the map from OltreMare is of dubious utility. Curiously, I found that to be the same in Il Principe, and am wondering if that's going to be a common trait of the designer. But from the pictures, the map on Hermagor seems to be a bit more integrated with the gameplay. Here's hoping...

I seem to recall geeklists about maps, but you can search as easily as I...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Revolution: The Dutch Revolt has a great map.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.