Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I finally took the plunge and got CC:A. I spent the weekend in late nights & early morning applying stickers whilst listening to podcasts on other games, and half paying attention to playthroughs of CC:A and other games. My boot camp complete, I was ready to get the game on the table.

My son and I took advantage of a mid-week late night opportunity (homework all done, no school the next day) and set up Akragas to learn the game. I've read the rules, printed the great unit cards as helpers and we are set to go.

First thing I hear is "unfair!" as I point out I get to move first. He REALLY likes to go first. :/ I then point out he has an additional command card and it is in fact he who has the advantage. So we make our first tentative moves.

Did I say tentative? My first play is Move all Lights. Which allows me to get my light cavalry and light bow JUST within range to begin peppering his line with arrows. "Jeeze dad, going for blood already?" Why yes, yes I am. I even manage to kill off one block. First blood is drawn.

I realize I have a decent hand with some Inspired Leadership cards available right off and after several turns Darken the Skies arrives in my hand. Evil grin. I know what to do with that one...

We spend a few more turns dancing around and having light infantry fight. I manage to maul some of his right flank and in return he eliminates my own right flank chariots. Ouch. However, I've managed to form a decent line in the center and right flank. My left flank is held by the chariot and cavalry--those two bloodied him enough that he was content to let them stand a couple of hexes away from his own units.

The main show was forming up in the center-right (for me). He finally got his heavies moving. Darn it! I was content with him leaving them twiddling their thumbs while I whittled down his flanks. One double-time card and they are now a threat.

Biding my time, I use a Move Line card and get my center all lined up, comprised mainly of Auxilia and Light Bow. Sure enough, he moved his heavies up.

Voila! 90% of my archers/slingers are now in range and nobody in close contact! Darken those skies now! My son's eyes bugged as I dropped that card on the table and he groaned realizing what was about to come. By the end of the barrage he was nearly ready to throw in the towel; I had incredible luck with dice rolling, scoring at least one hit with every shot. I picked up two banners from this turn alone, and left some units very whittled down. Plus, I think I forgot the second shots on some units. Regardless, this was a brutal turn and I almost felt bad causing so much carnage.

He then got his heavies moving, though he broke his own line in an attempt to deal with both my center and right flank. In the end it made no difference.

I had gotten cocky and neglected (forgot) to Evade with the units I was able to. So they stood toe-to-toe with the Syracusan heavy infantry. Big mistake. Very quickly my one heavy unit AND leader are gone. A light unit in the center goes down, and suddenly he's a mere single banner from victory.

The next turn, he's managed to isolate a light infantry unit on my right flank and picks them off, collapsing the right, and theoretically rolling up my forces.

So he pulls out a win after surviving a huge archery onslaught in the beginning of the battle. We both made several errors in tactics, and we picked up the basics of the game mechanics so fast I worry that we missed something. But, in the end we both had big grins (his was bigger) and are set to switch sides & try again in a day or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Abercrombie
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report. Welcome to CC:A. Soon you'll have all the expansions. Once you get going, they are hard to resist. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kind of went into this one assuming I'll eventually "catch them all." I'm hoping I can hold off on this one until at least we have played both sides of all the included battles & maybe scrounge around the files here & on the commandsandcolors.net site for additional ones playable with the base set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene Abercrombie
United States
Maumee
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My advice is to try to catch the expansions when you can. GMT periodically does reprints. Between reprints the secondary market cost on some get crazy.

I have avoided the Napoleonics line for fear I would need to accumulate all the expansions!

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hah, sounds like ASL in tat regard! My bank account can only absorb so much of that. Well...there are copies of some of the expansions sitting at a FLGS & the wargames shelf doesn't seem to move very fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edwin Tait
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
Akragas is very hard to win as the Carthaginians, which makes it a great scenario for teaching and/or for playing with kids. As you found out, the Syracusans can stand a lot of punishment and still win if they get their heavy infantry in there. The only hope for the Carthaginians, in my experience, is to crush the Syracusan wings before the heavies get into it.

Ranged combat is rarely effective enough to be decisive--mostly it can be used to weaken heavies and other formidable units and make them easier to destroy in one go once the serious fighting starts. Also it's very effective against chariots and elephants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Groves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
geneaber wrote:
My advice is to try to catch the expansions when you can. GMT periodically does reprints. Between reprints the secondary market cost on some get crazy.

I have avoided the Napoleonics line for fear I would need to accumulate all the expansions!

Enjoy.

If you love Commands and Colors and are partial to the Napolenic era then an investment in Napoleonics is a must. Finance them while they are all still in print (the Spanish and the Russians have just made a welcome return) and can be had at a reasonable price.

Expansion 5 (being delivered in the States at the moment) looks as if it will give the entire series a significant boost to make it a fantastic game collection but with many scenarios using coalition allied armies all expansions are required to play Ex 5 fully.

Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.