Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mark taylor
United Kingdom
Dunstable
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"As I survey the smoking wreckage of this once great hub of Empire I recall those preceeding 12 days when humanity was at the mercy of that fiendish spawn from the planet of the God of War - Mars.

For a full 10 days in August those green flames were seen emanating from the red planet and it was exactly one month later, on 28th October 1896 that the first of those cylinders containing our most unimaginable nightmares crashed in Maida Vale just a mile from Lords cricket ground and disgorged the first of the Tripods. Thus began mankind's darkest hour.........."

From the booklet `The Great Martian War` by Professor Challenger, November 1896.

So I played solo with starting forces of 2 infantry, 1 Police and the ship (HMS Thunderchild obviously)! Thunderchild was moored by St. Paul's an infantry by Buckingham Palace, another south of the river and the Old Bill by The North station.

The Martians rolled 1 which meant 9 Tripods and a Flying machine.

I personally find the rule that the ship can't move hard to reconcile (IMHO) so as a house rule I give it a rating of 3 on the Thames. I am thinking of also giving it a range but not sure if this would make it too strong and/or a ram option which destroys both it and the Tripod (as in the book).

Anyway as mentioned above the first cylinder landed at point 6 followed by a 2nd & 3rd at points 2 & 1. My infantry rushed to deal with the first but was toasted by the heatray immediately whilst the Police destroyed the 3rd cylinder before it could activate into what would have been a flying machine! Meanwhile the 3rd cylinder Tripod started burning the East End end on route to The Tower. The Police moved to intercept as did a cavalry unit from Northern station but both were defeated.

Further Tripods landed mostly preferring North & West London apart from one which landed at the only South of the river landing point and promptly destroyed the Royal Observatory and Peckham station before being destroyed by a cavalry unit detraining into battle at Clapham Common.

By turn 8 & 9 most of North West London was rubble and only the ship and an artillery unit were left in play for humanity! 3 Tripods were stalking the West End torching Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square and Victoria Station. However they were then met by HMS Thunderchild and 2 Tripods were destroyed trying to reach St Paul's.

Come turn 10 the 'Super Gun' was unveiled and deployed on St Paul's to assist an artillery unit which had been successfully fending off a Tripod attack heading for The Tower of London for 2 turns. The artillery was destroyed that very same turn!

The last turn saw 4 Tripods left, 2 in non victory point winning areas (down by entry point 5 and a destroyed Clapham Station) and the other 2 closing in on St Paul's from both East and West but just too far to reach them with their deathrays and so with the last throw of the die, HMS Thunderchild caused a Tripod to retreat and the Super Gun destroyed the Tripod to the East.

Humanity was saved. God save the Queen!

A very good and quick little game. I do enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nevin Ball
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great write-up on a game that deserves wider attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.