34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Recommendations for game to play with 2 players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Hickman
msg tools
Hi, I'm looking for a game to play with my brother. Since it will only ever be with 2 people I need a game that plays well with 2.

I would quite like a game similar to Hearthstone but where you don't need to keep buying more cards!

Games we have played and enjoy are Descent second edition, Blood bowl team manager, dungeon petz and mage knight.

Not sure if the information i've given will be much use but would be great to get some suggestions!

Thanks a lot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Star Realms? It's an inexpensive deck building game where you go head-to-head in space battles against your opponent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
How about Star Realms? It's an inexpensive deck building game where you go head-to-head in space battles against your opponent.

The perfect answer.

If you wanted a deeper game, any LCG doesn't need additional purchases, although you can when you want. Something like Android: Netrunner gives you the Hearthstone/CCG feel, but in a single product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Crown (Second edition): Dominion + Chess

Also, been pleasantly surprised by:
Risk: Star Wars Edition

Dungeon Twister

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Andersson
Sweden
Rimbo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Android: Netrunner is really fun. You can play a lot with the core box.

You seem to like fantasy so maybe A Game of Thrones: The Card Game (Second Edition) is something you may like (I have not played it).

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game is also very good, but it is co-op. But you can play it solo also

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension: Deckbuilding Game is a spectacular 2 player game, all self-contained. If you dig it, there are many expansions that add TONS to the original box.

Jaipur is a simpler game, only takes maybe 10-15 minutes to play, but is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smash Up filled that card battle void for my group and I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LuAnn Hensel
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look into Blue Moon Legends. It's a complete collection of all of the Blue Moon decks with nothing more to buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Gabriel
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pixel Tactics - I don't think it's similar to Hearthstone but it may be worth checking out. My SO and I have gotten a lot of millage out of just the first set which is rather inexpensive, 10$ to 15$ depending on where you get it. Each version includes two identical decks however each card has 5 uses depending on how/where it's deployed. Each card can be your leader including your leader power for the game, a one time use special power or when deployed each card has a power that gets activated depending on it's placement front/center/back rows. For those reasons the game seems very different from play to play even with just one set. I also feel set one is the way to go initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
james napoli
United States
Westwood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
twilight struggle is the #1 game on bgg(most of the time), and also happens to be a two player affair.

enjoy.

Also take a look at Stronghold, which has a 2.0 version coming out soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Gustafson
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
“The elements of good trading are: (1) cutting losses, (2) cutting losses, and (3) cutting losses. If you can follow these three rules, you may have a chance.” – Ed Seykota
mbmbmbmbmb
Omen: A Reign of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Charters
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Android: Netrunner - most engaging experience you can have with a deck of cards. Especially if the two of you are learning together....you'll have a blast as you ramp up your knowledge of the game. Don't allow for ANY deckbuilding for the first 6 or 9 months. Just use the entire deck of a faction with all the neutral cards. When/if you start to get bored change factions. This will make for an equal, albeit sub-optimal battle. You will have a blast....guaranteed.

+1 Star Realms - smaller, quicker, less expensive. You should get this whether or not you get NetRunner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
WTF is Hearthstone?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hickman
msg tools
Thanks a lot for the suggestions. Will definitely try out Android: Netrunner and Star Realms!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Snell
England
flag msg tools
mb
+1 to netrunner, however..

no one has mentioned Mage Wars? Two Player only, card based magic wars which plays like a miniatures game, and has everything you need in the base box. And it has actual spell books to cast from! It's likely to be precisely your thing!

Wife and I love blood bowl, netrunner and descent and Mage Wars gets to the table a lot too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
WTF is Hearthstone?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hearthstone

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ct5150 wrote:
WTF is Hearthstone?

A dumbed down crappy take on Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pevsfreedom wrote:
I take it Netrunner is possible to play without deckbuilding beforehand? That aspect sounds like a total turnoff for me (pre-made decks or whatever).

You can use the premade decks to get a feel, but the game really takes off once you start constructing decks.

Comparing Heartstone to Netrunner shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rowe
United Kingdom
Minsterley
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Can't go wrong with Star Realms!

Jaipur is a good one too. Splendor works well with two players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Lindrupsen
Norway
Fredrikstad
Østfold
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are so many great 2 player games!

I can't really think about anything that will feel exactly like Hearthstone, but there's Magic I don't know if you have played it, but you can get a lot of good fun just by bying a couple of duel decks. Even though I don't play the game anymore, it's a damn good game.

When that is said, if you have time to play a longer game, definitively check out Mage Wars Arena. It's such an amazing game, but it takes time to play. I have heard that Mage Wars Academy is also very good. The last one is a shorter version of the first one.

As many has said, Star Realms is also a very nice game. It's quick and fun and you can play many rounds of it back to back.

If you are interested in a dungeon crawler, Claustrophobia is a good 2 player one. Haven't played it in quite some time, but I did enjoy it.

That's some suggestions! Hope it helped!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
ahh, get it off.. get it... GET IT OFF!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ascension seems like the exact game that you want. it's inexpensive, you fight directly against one another by attacking each other. it's about as close as one can get to Hearthstone without being Hearthstone.

The other option I'll throw out is Dice Masters. It does have a blind buy aspect but is very playable with just the starter sets and you can throw in a few boosters if you want. I've lost track of how many Dice Masters sets there are but if you're into Superheroes you've got Marvel Dice Masters & if fantasy is your thing you could go with D & D Dice Masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
colinmarsh wrote:
Ascension seems like the exact game that you want. it's inexpensive, you fight directly against one another by attacking each other.

Which? As far as I know, in Ascension (Ascension: Apprentice Edition is the most inexpensive for 2 players) you fight for honor points, there are no direct attacks against other players (except to destroy constructs). Or did the latest one Ascension: Realms Unraveled totally reinvent the game?

(Maybe you're thinking of Star Realms.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Marsh
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
colinmarsh wrote:
Ascension seems like the exact game that you want. it's inexpensive, you fight directly against one another by attacking each other.

Which? As far as I know, in Ascension (Ascension: Apprentice Edition is the most inexpensive for 2 players) you fight for honor points, there are no direct attacks against other players (except to destroy constructs). Or did the latest one Ascension: Realms Unraveled totally reinvent the game?

(Maybe you're thinking of Star Realms.)

yep i was thinking Star Realms but was playing Ascension on my iPhone as I typed. brains are funny...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Maynard
United Kingdom
Exeter
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
"Star Realms" is a lot of fun but possibly frustrating if you're looking for more strategy and less luck.

I would recommend The Rivals for Catan which is a great two player card game adaptation of "Settlers of Catan".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Chiriboga
United States
Oviedo
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A 2 player game that just come out that I love is Jarl: The Vikings Tile-Laying Game. It's very chess-y.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.