Subject: Fury of Dracula Third Edition Rules are Up! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Victor
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
They're available on the FFG website now!

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/fury-of-dracu...

Learn to Play

Rules Reference Guide
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark L
United Kingdom
Belfast
Northern Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Hooray! Reading them now. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting to note the use of the 2nd edition box art on the cover of the Rules Reference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
anyone see any glaring difference between 2nd and third editions not mentioned in the previews?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Can Bud
Turkey
Istanbul
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks a lot for the heads up!!! Been waiting for this

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked the 1st edition, but the 2nd edition fell flat for me. I wonder if 3rd will be a hit in my collection or another quick trade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
anyone see any glaring difference between 2nd and third editions not mentioned in the previews?

The first change I notice involves the SUPPLY ACTION (p.7). (Items are only acquired by supply actions at large cities.)

EVENT cards are drawn differently depending on time of day.

In a DAY supply action, hunters take from the TOP of the event deck. (So they can see in advance whether it is a hunter/dracula card.) They take or discard it, depending.

At NIGHT, they draw from the BOTTOM of the event deck. (So they don't know in advance which type of card it will be -- like 2nd Edition.) The card either goes into the hand of the hunter or dracula, depending on the symbol.

So there is a "safe" daytime supply action and risky night-time action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are indeed differences. Identified so far:

a) Three different flavors of vampires Dracula can try to mature.

b) Hunters will never be able to initiate a combat with Dracula at day - conversely Dracula will never be able to initiate combat with Hunters at night.

c) Heavenly host is not permanent

d) Hide works differently - and to me better. Dracula can actually use the encounters placed on hide along with the one on his actual space.

e) If Dracula moves to a Lair (catacombs from old game), he just brings the card over to the track and keeps the encounters on it.

f) The whole "Despair" mechanic. It means that the longer the game goes the worse a defeated Hunter hurts their cause. It also means that once the Despair track is full Dracula gains influence every turn he survives.

g) Dracula's "storms" card works differently too. It now lets him seed spaces on the board through which Hunters cannot move by sea.

I'm sure there's more, but so far the more I read the more I feel like they really went the extra mile on this to straighten out all the little "gamey" things that popped up over the years and also to try to get the balance correct (before with experienced Hunter players Drac was at a big disadvantage).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Lavender
United States
Fort Worth
Texas
flag msg tools
Klaatu barada nikto.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just picked the game up at my FLGS. Can't wait to get it to the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to say, this version seems a lot more streamlined and accessible to the everyday game player than the 2nd edition.

Don't get me wrong. I soooo wanted the 2nd edition but never bought it because the game just seemed too complex for my non-gamer playing friends to figure out. This version looks much more accessible and fun. It definitively converted me and I bought it immediately.

2nd edition art was very good. 3rd edition art is also very good, just in a different way.

All in all, major kudos to Fantasy Flight for absolutely nailing it with this version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More new items:

1) Rumor tokens. Complete new mechanic. Dracula starts with one and gets one each time a token is added to Despair. He can add them to cards on his trail, and if that card matures any vampires Dracula gets an additional three influence.

These seem pretty powerful, as they make a matured vampire potentially worth 8 influence. In essence the Hunters have to react by moving to such a location if known and searching and resolving all the Encounters. Excellent Trap bait and also gets the Hunters eyes off of Dracula.

2) Double Back has been replaced with Misdirect in Dracula's Power Cards. Misdirect works somewhat like Double Back but is more open ended - Dracula still takes the location card off the trail but does not have to play THAT card for movement.

This is also an improvement as it gives Dracula a bit more flexibility in movement plans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rob taylor
England
bingley
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still needing 5 players excactly,otherwise in a 4 player game,1 player has to control 2 characters.
I was hoping they would find a solution for less than 5 players,similar to how imperial assault does it.
Oh well,still bought it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
this version seems a lot more streamlined and accessible to the everyday game player than the 2nd edition.

I think it is worth noting the specific ways they have made the game more accessible.

1) Replacing encounter chips with encounter cards. Now when an encounter resolves, the text is RIGHT THERE. (In 2E, you had to search the rulebook, find the graphic, look up the text). This speeds game play, both when Dracula chooses what to play [he looks at his hand instead of rules] and it TAKES ALL THAT TEXT OUT OF THE RULE BOOK.

2) Separating the rules into a "How to Play" Guide (16 pages) and Reference Guide (16 pages). [More on the content below]

3) The How to Play is separated into Basic Rules and Advanced Rules (with the fiddly details extracted to the Reference Guide). It's organized to read as you set up and play your first game, then add rules for second play, then mostly use the reference guide. There are well illustrated play examples of the key concepts (e.g. Combat on p 13).

4) The Reference Guide is well organized. Page 2: a) How to resolve conflicts between card text, reference, how to. and b) Advanced Set Up Guide. Pages 3-14 Glossary of key game concepts with INDEX (p. 15). Page 16: Quick reference guide on a single page.

The one thing that seems lacking is a strategy/tactics guide. Because the combat and encounter and event text are not in the rules or reference guide, reading them does not give you much of a clue as to how they interact. There are some clues in the examples, but there is are still a lot of questions in my mind. Will have to wait for my copy to arrive. I can't wait to put this on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received the game today - physically stunning board, just so moody!

They have definitely improved the flow of the game. Not quite so impressed with why they felt the need to spread both the basic rules and advanced rules across two documents instead of one for basic and one for advanced. That is my only complaint - can't wait to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Bowles
United States
Depauw
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just reserved my copy from my FLGS. Plan to pick it up tomorrow along with my pre-order of Ghost Busters. Going to be a fun Halloween!

Brian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Howsare
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
There's at least 1 change to the map--The Atlantic Ocean is now divided into the North Atlantic and South Atlantic. I haven't seen any others yet, but there might be more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blue 80
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vlad3theimpaler wrote:
There's at least 1 change to the map--The Atlantic Ocean is now divided into the North Atlantic and South Atlantic. I haven't seen any others yet, but there might be more.

...and Manchester has once again been demolished and moved even further towards Hull...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.