8 Posts

Legendary: A Marvel Deck Building Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sentinels of the Marvelverse rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Both Legendary and Sentinels of the Multiverse are my favorite games, so I thought it might be fun to have some crossover. Here are some thoughts on Hero decks based on SotM characters (not playtested). Thoughts? Overpowered? Underpowered? Thoughts on any other characters?

Legacy
====
Galvanize (5 copies)
Cost: 4
Strength
0 Attack Points
Until the end of your turn, all cards that give Attack give +1 Attack

Motivational Charge (5 copies)
Cost: 4
Strength
2 Attack
1 Recruit

Flying Smash (3 copies)
Cost: 6
Strength,Ranged
0 Attack
Villains in the Rooftops, Street, and Bridge get -3 Attack, minimum 1

Take Down (1 copy)
Cost: 8
Strength,Instinct
0 Attack
Rescue 3 bystanders.
Next player's turn and your next turn, no cards will be played from the Villain Deck.

Tachyon
====
Lightning Reflexes (5 copies)
Cost: 3
Ranged
0 Attack
2 Recruit
Draw a card
When played, move this card to your discard pile.

Nimble Strike (5 copies)
Ranged
2 Attack
Draw a card
When played, move this card to your discard pile.

Sonic Vortex (3 copies)
Cost: 5
Ranged
0+ Attack
+1 Attack for every Ranged card in your discard pile.

Lightspeed Barrage (1 copy)
0+ Attack
Teleport
+1 Attack for every Ranged card in your discard pile
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Legacy's rare is overpowered, although it doesn't appear to be at first. You have to be careful with cards that prevent the Villain deck from being manipulated, as that deck is one of the primary clocks in the game.

By preventing a player from turning over any cards in the deck during their turn, you're essentially making the game easier. By then having the next player also not turn any cards over, you're making it even easier.

The fact that the card is a rare is definitely better than if this ability was on a common or uncommon, but think about what would happen if it came out early and someone was able to recruit it? You could potentially add, in essence, 10-20 turns to the game between yourself and the next player.

I would consider revising it to be something other than completely eliminating manipulating the Villain deck. Perhaps something like, "Reveal the top card of the Villain deck, and if it's a Master Strike, KO it." Or "Reveal the top XXX cards of the Villain deck, and reshuffle any Scheme Twists back into the Villain deck" or something.

I suppose I should clarify that I'm basing the above statements on the assumption that, from the way the text is worded, after you've drawn a new hand of cards at the end of your turn in which you played Legacy's rare card, you would not turn over a new card from the Villain deck. The next player would also not turn over a card at the end of their turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carnilius IV
msg tools
mb
Colossus of Future Past has the ability to prevent the next card from being played, but that is a Fight effect.

What if I nerfed it to "Rescue 3 Bystanders. Gain a wound. Don't play a Villain Card at the beginning of next turn."

Still powerful, but only skips one Villain card and gaining the wound increases the time until you get to play it again. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Hay
United States
Owensboro
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="swirlsaepi"
I suppose I should clarify that I'm basing the above statements on the assumption that, from the way the text is worded, after you've drawn a new hand of cards at the end of your turn in which you played Legacy's rare card, you would not turn over a new card from the Villain deck. The next player would also not turn over a card at the end of their turn.[/q]

Villain cards are drawn at the start of your turn. The next player would not flip one over at the start of their turn, and once the game had come back around to you, you would not flip one over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unity's by far my favorite character, but aside from summoning sidekicks as golems, I'm not sure how you replicate her abilities in the Legendary format.

How about these?

Wraith
====
Infrared Eyepiece (5 copies)
Cost: 2
Tech
0 Attack Points
Reveal the top 2 cards of the villain deck. You may put one or both on the bottom of the villain deck. Return other cards to the top of the villain deck in any order.

Trust Fund (5 copies)
Cost: 4 (maybe 5?)
Tech
4 Recruit
Draw a Card

Micro Targeting Computer (3 copies)
Tech
1 Attack
+1 Attack for every Tech card played this turn

Inventory Barrage (1 copy)
Tech
2 Attack
+2 Attack for every Tech card played this turn, KO a Tech card played this turn

Tried to focus on her multiple equipment pieces, without everything just being a piece of equipment.

The Visionary
====
Precognition (5 copies)
Energy
Reveal the top 3 cards of the hero deck. You may recruit, or put any of the revealed cards on top or bottom of the hero deck in any order.

Wrest the Mind (5 copies)
Energy
Reveal the top card of the Villain deck. If it is a villain, you may fight it as though it were just played. If it is a master strike, place it on the bottom of the villain deck. If you choose not to fight the villain, or if any other card type is revealed, put it back on top of the villain deck.
Draw a Card

Twist the Ether (3 copies)
Energy
Choose another player. Reveal the top card of that player's deck. Treat that card as though you just played it, put it back on top of that player's deck after you have resolved it's ability.

Psychic Maelstrom (1 copy)
Energy
0 Attack
Reveal the top card of every player deck (including yours). Gain the attack of the revealed cards as attack power. (would it be too powerful if you gained the attack and recruit power as attack power?)

Support support support; except when she really needs to unleash hell, she can.

Alternately, I think the Visionary could also do something like, if you fought the mastermind this turn, you may look at the Mastermind Tactics cards before choosing one. But I'm not sure a) if that's too powerful and b) what it should replace, as it feels far too strong to be a common and I really like the feel of her uncommon and rare. =/ bwa wah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Yavorski
United States
Kannapolis
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm super tired, but here's a few more ideas if anyone wants to run with them.

Mr. Fixer
====
Grease Gun
Tech
Ignore the Fight effect of the next non-mastermind villain you fight.

Jack Handle
Instinct
Gain +1 Attack Power that can be reused each time you fight a new villain this turn. (There's probably a cleaner way to say this, but basically 1 damage to all villains that he attacks this turn).

Unity
====
Construction Pylon
Tech
Draw a card for each villain in a city space.

Robot Reclamation
Tech
KO this card and any number of non-wound cards from your hand or discard pile. Add 2x that number of sidekicks to your discard pile.

Dr. Medco / Sentinels
====
Hippocratic Oath
Cost 6
Instinct
Move a number of non-shield heroes equal to the number of players from the KO pile to the bottom of the hero deck in any order. KO this card.

Chrono Range
====
Ranger's Mark
Cost 3
Instinct
+2 Attack
Draw a card.

Eye on the Prize
Cost 3
Instinct
+2 Recruit
Draw a card.

Bounty Board
Cost 6
Instinct
+3 Attack
Draw a card every time you fight a villain this turn.

Argent Adept should have a lot of whatever keyword lets you use the heroes stuff for attack or recruit - is that Versatile?

Nightmist
Focus 2 recruit points to draw a card.
Discard a card to gain that cards' printed attack or recruit value as attack AND recruit value. Do not resolve any text on the discarded card.

Bunker's mode cards should all have teleport so you can change into that "mode" whenever you need to, to take advantage of your current situation.

Akash'Bhuta
Always leads: The Ennead
12 Fight
Attack or Recruit points may be spent to fight Akash'Bhuta.

Akash'Bhuta may only be fought once per turn.

Whenever a member of The Ennead is played in the city and another member is already in the city, reveal cards from the top of the villain deck until enough villains to fill the city have been revealed. Play those villains. Return any non-played cards to the top of the deck in any order.

Master Strike: Regrow limb. Shuffle a bystander into the Mastermind tactics. Treat this card as a blank mastermind tactic. Gain the bystander if it is drawn as a mastermind tactic.

Tactics:
If this is the first tactic drawn, place it next to Akash'Bhuta. Any villain escaped after this card is played, place under this card. Akash'Bhuta gets a +1 Fight for this card and every card underneath it. This effect remains for the remainder of the game. If this is not the first tactic drawn, take this card into your victory point pile and resolve two Master Strikes.

If this is the first tactic drawn, place it next to Akash'Bhuta. Any Shield Heroes KO'd after this card is played, place under this card. Akash'Bhuta gets a +1 Fight for this card and every card underneath it. This effect remains for the remainder of the game. If this is not the first tactic drawn, take this card into your victory point pile and resolve two Master Strikes.

Play cards from the top of the villain deck until the city is full. Resolve any Master Strike or Scheme Twists normally.

Each player must KO a Shield Hero from their hand or discard pile. If a player cannot KO a hero this way, they must KO the top card of their deck.

OK, that's way more than I intended to write and I really need to sleep. Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jem
France
flag msg tools
swirlsaepi wrote:
Legacy's rare is overpowered, although it doesn't appear to be at first.

Only the rare? Legacy's first common is overpowered - how many people have pulled out large card-engine hands wherein you play 20 or so cards? Can you imagine what sort of attack scores you could hit with a couple of copies of Galvanize?

Both of Tachyon's commons are equally insane, if you've got your engine set up well enough to draw your entire deck (this isn't difficult) then you hang on to two commons as your last two cards: infinite recruit and/or infinite attack. Game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jemjar wrote:
swirlsaepi wrote:
Legacy's rare is overpowered, although it doesn't appear to be at first.

Only the rare? Legacy's first common is overpowered - how many people have pulled out large card-engine hands wherein you play 20 or so cards? Can you imagine what sort of attack scores you could hit with a couple of copies of Galvanize?

Both of Tachyon's commons are equally insane, if you've got your engine set up well enough to draw your entire deck (this isn't difficult) then you hang on to two commons as your last two cards: infinite recruit and/or infinite attack. Game.

True, true. I hadn't looked at the mechanics of the commons that closely from my initial perusal, but yeah you're right. That combo would be really easy to achieve - much moreso than Kingpin's or Electro's infinite combos.

Jexhai wrote:
Villain cards are drawn at the start of your turn. The next player would not flip one over at the start of their turn, and once the game had come back around to you, you would not flip one over.

Thanks for the clarification. I only ever play solo, so flipping over the card in the Villain deck gets jumbled with drawing new cards. It all kind of happens at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.