Pandemic Legacy: Season 1» Forums » General

Subject: Translation errors in the Dutch version (no spoilers) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was looking for the dutch rules for Pandemic Legacy and found that someone found a translation error on one of the stickers (Flexible) of the Dutch version of the game:

https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/3q4u8w/translat...

In dutch it says: For an action, discard a card to pick ANY card from discard pile
In English it says: For an action, discard a card to draw a card of the same color from the player discard pile

Earlier I found a topic were there was a translation error on one of the event cards (forecast):

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20734678

Now I wonder what other translation errors there are in the Dutch version (and maybe other languages as well)... Apparently Rob Daviau is "on it" (https://twitter.com/RachelKremer/status/657887916820176896) so I hope it won't take long before we get a complete errata after a thorough translation (re)check, so people with the Dutch version can start playing with the right rules too!

I don't have the dutch stickers here, but maybe somebody else with the Dutch version can compare their stickers with the English stickers to see if other errors are made. Link to English stickers: https://boardgamegeek.com/image/2702629/pandemic-legacy?size...

Feel free to post other errors found in the Dutch version, but of course remember to use the spoiler tag for the "secret" errors.

Overview of translation errors found so far

Rulebook:
On page 4 it says that funding is at least 1 and at most 10. This is incorrect because funding can drop down to 0, as is mentioned in the English rulebook.

Flexible/Flexibel (character upgrade):
Incorrect Dutch: For an action, discard a card to pick ANY card from discard pile
English: For an action, discard a card to draw a card of the same color from the player discard pile
Corrected Dutch: Voor 1 actie mag je een kaart afleggen en er één van dezelfde kleur uit de aflegstapel nemen.

Local connections/Lokale connecties (character upgrade):
No spelling error just really bad Dutch sentence:
English: Once per turn you may Treat Disease in a city connected to your city.
Corrected Dutch: Je mag eenmaal per beurt een ziekte behandelen in een stad die verbonden is met de stad waar je bent.

Forecast/Prognose (event card):
Incorrect Dutch: Draw the top 6 cards of the player cards deck, and place them back in any order
English: Draw the top 6 cards from the infection deck, and place them back in any order
Corrected Dutch: Trek de bovenste 6 kaarten van de infectiestapel. Bekijk deze en leg ze in een volgorde naar keuze gedekt terug op de stapel.

PTSD/PTSS (scar):
Incorrect Dutch: Lose an action if DURING your turn you are in the region where you got your scar
English: Lose an action if you START your turn in the region where you got this scar
Corrected Dutch: Verlies 1 actie als je aan het begin van je beurt in de regio bent waar je deze verwonding hebt gekregen. Regio: ...

Regretful/Berouw (scar):
Incorrect Dutch: Discard a card every time you leave a city with 3 cubes
English: Discard a card every time you leave a city with 3 cubes of the same color
Corrected Dutch: Leg elke keer dat je een stad met 3 ziektestenen van dezelfde kleur verlaat 1 kaart af.

Translation errors per month:

February (click on the spoiler before starting the game):

Spoiler (click to reveal)

Co-worker/Collega (relationship):

Incorrect Dutch: You may share knowledge with a co-worker even if you are not in the same city. The city card must correspond with the city you are in (unless you are the researcher)
English: You may share knowledge with a co-worker as long as one of you is in the city of the card being passed (the researcher can pass any card)
Corrected Dutch: Je mag de actie “Deel kennis” met een collega uitvoeren, ook al zijn jullie niet in dezelfde stad. De kaart moet met de stad waar één van jullie is corresponderen (tenzij je de Onderzoeker bent).

March (click on the spoiler before setting up the game):

In Dutch it says:
Zien jullie vanaf nu onderstaande cirkels, open deze dan en handel ze één voor één af:
X

Translated that means: From now on, if you see any of the circles below, open them and take care of them one by one.

Actually it means you should open the circles right then and there.

It's a strange instruction since at this point you already had instructions to open doors indicated by circles. The sentence sounds more like a first time instruction, which is out of place in march.

July (click on the spoiler before starting the game):

On the track you get for searching there is a big mistake. It says: "Voer de actie "zoeken" uit als je in een stad van de verbleekten met paniekstatus "chaos" bent." That means you can do search only in a city of the faded with status rioting (level 2/3).

But the correct text should say you can do the search action in a city of the faded (verbleekten) with a research station (in dutch: VOER DE ACTIE “ZOEKEN” UIT ALS JE IN EEN STAD VAN DE VERBLEEKTEN MET EEN ONDERZOEKSSTATION BENT), see picture in this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20687079#20687079

See discussion in this thread: Question July *spoiler*

August (click on the spoiler before setting up the game):

The win bonus you get in July for the month August is translated wrong:

In Dutch: add a military base in a city of your choice
In English: add both 1 starting military base AND 1 military base to any one city on the board.

The difference is that you are allowed to put a military base sticker on the board, so for every future game you will have a military base there.

Added clarification: You put down the sticker and the military base in the same city, hence the word 'one'. This is confirmed in de FAQ.

November (click on the spoiler before setting up the game):

Translation error on card 'LD 53 F' "tijd is schaars"):

Dutch version: it instructs to scratch this card open in the case the team didn't open packet 6 AND packet 7.
English version: it instructs to scratch this card open in the case the team didn't open packet 6 OR packet 7.

On a side note... its impossible to open packet 7 before packet 6 is open, so in both the English and Dutch version they could just instruct to scratch the card open if packet 7 is still unopened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Regnier
msg tools
Some other translation errors:

PTSD:
English: Lose an action if you START your turn in the region where you got this scar
Dutch: Lose an action if DURING your turn you are in the region where you got your scar

Regretful:
English: Discard a card every time you leave a city with 3 cubes OF THE SAME COLOR
Dutch: Discard a card every time you leave a city with 3 cubes

Luckily it is a legacy game so you have to write stuff on the components anyway
Hopefully there are no translation errors on the secret components, because these are more difficult to check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirjam Molenkamp
Netherlands
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Bernaar wrote:
In dutch it says: For an action, discard a card to pick ANY card from discard pile
In English it says: For an action, discard a card to draw a card of the same color from the player discard pile

I hope someone can clarify this, because I played my first legacy game yesterday, and chose this upgrade for my scientist!
If it is only for the same color, this upgrade is hardly worth the effort I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mirjam wrote:
Bernaar wrote:

I hope someone can clarify this, because I played my first legacy game yesterday, and chose this upgrade for my scientist!
If it is only for the same color, this upgrade is hardly worth the effort I think.
It is only of the same color.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rama Jagerman
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Another translation error:

*minor spoiler until start of February*

Relationship, co-worker:

In Dutch: you may share knowledge with a co-worker even if you are not in the same city. The city card must correspond with the city you are in (unless you are the researcher)
In English: "you may share knowledge with a co-worker as long as one of you is in the city of the card being passed (the researcher can pass any card)"

BTW the English sentence leaves room for multiple interpretation. The folks from the Dice Tower had trouble with it.

Should I email Z-man games about this translation error, or do they read this too?

Last but not least:
Thank you so much all for the above posts, it helps me a lot and I will try to follow the English rules as soon as I know them. Lets do our best to find all translation errors together, although its hard because of the hidden rules and I dont have an English copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Daviau
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I have pointed Z-Man to this thread. Either I (or someone from Z-Man) will keep an eye on it. It's outside my area of expertise so I don't know next steps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rama Jagerman
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Thanks Rob. It's a great game so far, ofc we want to play it like it's supposed to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melvin Zwemmer
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
In the general rules in the Dutch version it states that your funding can't drop below 1 but the english rules state it can't drop below zero. On the back of the Dutch rules where you record your games it is stated correctly as zero.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RobDaviau wrote:
I have pointed Z-Man to this thread. Either I (or someone from Z-Man) will keep an eye on it. It's outside my area of expertise so I don't know next steps.

Thanks for responding Rob. I wonder how Z-man will errata the hidden content without spoiling undiscovered content. Only thing I can think of is an errata with a list of legacy deck card numbers and confidential file letters and numbers, that point to a certain page in the errata. Or they could offer a dutch translation error advent calendar of course. :P

Z-man could also offer a replacement-package with new cards, confidential file, etcetera, with translation errors (I don't know were all the errors are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mirjam wrote:
Bernaar wrote:

This mistake is really annoying 'cause I've misused this one a lot!

That'll teach me to buy a Dutch game... I almost never do, but in a normal game, you can just play correct the next time, now we'll never know if we'd won all those games without the mistakes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rama Jagerman
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Suzan wrote:
mirjam wrote:
Bernaar wrote:

This mistake is really annoying 'cause I've misused this one a lot!

That'll teach me to buy a Dutch game... I almost never do, but in a normal game, you can just play correct the next time, now we'll never know if we'd won all those games without the mistakes.

Same here Suzan. Although our group found out at the end of February, probably earlier then you. This is the most game-breaking translation error, the others I dont mind too much about. I wonder if Z-man will react and try to fix this error.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For every person with the Dutch version going into July, be careful there is a mistake, see spoiler.

On the track you get for searching there is a big mistake. It says: "Voer de actie "zoeken" uit als je in een stad van de verbleekten met paniekstatus "chaos" bent." (That means you can do search only in a city of the faded with status rioting(? Lvl 2/3). It mentions nothing about there being a research station to be able to search.)

But the correct text should say you can search in a city of the faded (verbleekte) in a research station. see picture in this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20687079#20687079

This makes a very big difference because we didn't have a city at lvl 2/4 we couldn't do this goal in July, but in hindsight we could.

I asked the question in this thread: Question July *spoiler*

Edit I wanted to ask if we could make a list of mistakes we've found, but I see we have one at the top of this thread. Maybe we can also keep track of the months and put those in spoilers so people can look it up as they come to that month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Suzan wrote:
For every person with the Dutch version going into July, be careful there is a mistake, see spoiler.

On the track you get for searching there is a big mistake. It says: "Voer de actie "zoeken" uit als je in een stad van de verbleekten met paniekstatus "chaos" bent." (That means you can do search only in a city of the faded with status rioting(? Lvl 2/3). It mentions nothing about there being a research station to be able to search.)

But the correct text should say you can search in a city of the faded (verbleekte) in a research station. see picture in this post: https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20687079#20687079

This makes a very big difference because we didn't have a city at lvl 2/4 we couldn't do this goal in July, but in hindsight we could.

Edit I wanted to ask if we could make a list of mistakes we've found, but I see we have one at the top of this thread. Maybe we can also keep track of the months and put those in spoilers so people can look it up as they come to that month.

Seems like a good idea, and I will do that. Only problem is I haven't played the whole game yet. But I can copy the spoiler tag with my eyes half closed, but then I can't check it until I have played the month myself of course. It's hard to check anyway since I only have access to a Dutch copy, not an English copy.

Fact is that this is something Z-Man games should fix as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rama Jagerman
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
Great work Bernard with the first post of this thread! Will post more mistakes once we discover them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
Suzan wrote:

Seems like a good idea, and I will do that. Only problem is I haven't played the whole game yet. But I can copy the spoiler tag with my eyes half closed, but then I can't check it until I have played the month myself of course. It's hard to check anyway since I only have access to a Dutch copy, not an English copy.

Fact is that this is something Z-Man games should fix as soon as possible.

Great, much appreciated! But do be careful not to spoil it for yourself, maybe put a link to a post there until you can safely read it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember we found a strange translation as well on one of the legacy cards. Don't remember exactly what it said, but will look it up and post it here.

Excellent thread though! We will be continuing soon and this will come in handy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for this
We played somethings wrong to trusting the Dutch translation.
Such a disappointment!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Baguet
Belgium
antwerp
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can Someone post a picture of the english relationship stickers please so we can check

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob van Wijngaarden
Netherlands
Amsterdam
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Yes, If you look at the top of this post there is a link to the English stickers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MADG0BLIN wrote:
I remember we found a strange translation as well on one of the legacy cards. Don't remember exactly what it said, but will look it up and post it here.

Excellent thread though! We will be continuing soon and this will come in handy! :)

Thanks! Please post it here so new people can benefit! :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baguety wrote:
Thanks for this
We played somethings wrong to trusting the Dutch translation.
Such a disappointment!

Yves, could you please edit/remove your posts with spoilers! It's not a valid argument to ignore the no-spoiler request just because you don't know where the spoiler button is.

The spoiler button is the SP-button above the text box you are typing in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christiaan G
Netherlands
Emmeloord
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bernaar wrote:
MADG0BLIN wrote:

Excellent thread though! We will be continuing soon and this will come in handy!

Thanks! Please post it here so new people can benefit!

It's card number LD 15 B / F. It's the mission instructions for march that we didn't interpreted correctly.

SPOILER FOR MARCH

In Dutch it says:
Zien jullie vanaf nu onderstaande cirkels, open deze dan en handel ze één voor één af:
X

Translated that means: From now on, if you see any of the cirkels below, open them and take care of them one by one.

We where a bit unsure what to do. Does it mean on cards after this one or should we open them now.

We did not open them, but after the game we found out we should have. Luckily, we still won.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dutcher99 wrote:
Another translation error:

*minor spoiler until start of February*

Relationship, co-worker:

In Dutch: you may share knowledge with a co-worker even if you are not in the same city. The city card must correspond with the city you are in (unless you are the researcher)
In English: "you may share knowledge with a co-worker as long as one of you is in the city of the card being passed (the researcher can pass any card)"

BTW the English sentence leaves room for multiple interpretation. The folks from the Dice Tower had trouble with it.

Should I email Z-man games about this translation error, or do they read this too?

Last but not least:
Thank you so much all for the above posts, it helps me a lot and I will try to follow the English rules as soon as I know them. Lets do our best to find all translation errors together, although its hard because of the hidden rules and I dont have an English copy.

Rob said he gave the link to this thread to Z-man games.

By the way: how does the english sentence leaves room for multiple interpretation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lafrance
msg tools
publisher
Hi guys, here's an errata that should help you with this!

ERRATA Nederlandse versie Pandemic Legacy

Helaas zijn er een paar foutjes in de Nederlandse vertaling geslopen. Hieronder een overzicht van de correcte teksten. Wij bieden onze excuses aan voor deze oneffenheden.

Karakteropwaarderingen:

Flexibel. Voor 1 actie mag je een kaart afleggen en er één van dezelfde kleur uit de aflegstapel nemen.

Verwondingen:

PTSS. Verlies 1 actie als je aan het begin van je beurt in de regio bent waar je deze verwonding hebt gekregen. Regio:

Berouw. Leg elke keer dat je een stad met 3 ziektestenen van dezelfde kleur verlaat 1 kaart af.

Gefinancierde gebeurteniskaart:

Prognose
Trek de bovenste 6 kaarten van de infectiestapel. Bekijk deze en leg ze in een volgorde naar keuze gedekt terug op de stapel.

Februari:

Relatie:

Collega van:
Je mag de actie “Deel kennis” met een collega uitvoeren, ook al zijn jullie niet in dezelfde stad. De kaart moet
met de stad waar één van jullie is corresponderen (tenzij je de Onderzoeker bent).

Juli:

De zoektocht naar de viroloog:

VOER DE ACTIE “ZOEKEN” UIT ALS JE IN EEN STAD VAN DE VERBLEEKTEN MET
EEN ONDERZOEKSSTATIO BENT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzan
Netherlands
Enschede
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please use spoiler tags.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.