Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
As far as I know, the only significant difference between Deflexion and Khet is that Khet features nested obelisks that take two hits before they die. I have been pondering the best way to adopt this feature in Deflexion. Simply making a mental note of any hits on the obelisks will suffice I think. Has anyone developed an elegant way to Khetify Deflexion? Does anyone have any other comments regarding the two games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Wood
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know some folks have been able to order extra obelisks from the publishers. I've attempted to contact them about getting some myself; however, they have failed to respond to both of my inquiries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Cason
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see why they had to make it Khet. I think that it seemed to be just fine as deflexion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill H
United States
Absecon
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"Shijuro" in Awatum (Serpent's Tongue)
badge
"A master in the art of living draws no sharp distinction between his work and his play, his labour and his leisure, his mind and his body, his education and his recreation." LP Jacks
mbmbmbmbmb
TMuscle wrote:
I don't see why they had to make it Khet. I think that it seemed to be just fine as deflexion.

Please see:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/121993
where the one of the designers explains why they were forced to make a name change.

(edited immediately for grammar error, then again for spelling error)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wray Cason
United States
Everett
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Excellent information, thank you. At this point, is it possible to get the additional obelisks? I am skeptical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fritz
United States
Rochester
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:
As far as I know, the only significant difference between Deflexion and Khet is that Khet features nested obelisks that take two hits before they die. I have been pondering the best way to adopt this feature in Deflexion. Simply making a mental note of any hits on the obelisks will suffice I think. Has anyone developed an elegant way to Khetify Deflexion? Does anyone have any other comments regarding the two games?

In all honesty, a one-hit obelisk is useless to me, so I would never separate the stack if I had Khet (I have Deflexion) (maybe someone can counter as to WHY you would separate them?). In any case, I marked mine with two "steps" (like a block war game). Put one dot on each of two opposing sides, and the other two opposing sides get two dots each. The current hit point status faces both you and you opponent (one or two HP). So, one hit would obligate you to rotate the obelisk to step the hit points down. If you are down to one dot, the next hit eliminates the obelisk.

Thoughts?

I am still a bit peeved that I did not get any sort of reply regarding the silver/gold obelisks. angry

EDIT: A post by Luke Hooper answers my question:

Quote:
a. Can owners of Deflexion purchase the new stacking obelisk pieces?

The new stacking obelisk pieces are only being made in the new colors of silver and red. However, the old obelisks can stack as well with the only difference being they don't nest as well so they tower over the field a bit more. After the switch we will sell additional obelisks from the original Deflexion game for one month for basically the cost of shipping (box+postage)so that the game can be 'upgraded' to the new rule set.

I missed the window for this one... oh well, I think my mod will do the trick..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geo
Greece
Athens
Marousi
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrayman wrote:

I got the extra gold/silver obelisks (plus the silver/gold beamsplitters) directly from Luke Hooper. Considering that he sent them to Greece i am surprised that you have problems getting these!

I marked the extra obelisks and when one of them gets a hit i replace it with a normal (unmarked) one.

(And if i want a 3-hit obelisk i simply stack a normal obelisk on top of the marked one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Remember that the Khet board has two other 'reserved' spots on each side (second row - far left and far right) that Deflexion does not have.

Any further thoughts on the strategy of separating the stacked obelisks in Khet?

It must have been added for a reason (as opposed to just letting the obelisks take two hits).

- Jonathan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Figuracion
United States
Chicago
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a little while since this thread was last seen, but I can imagine one situation where you'd want to separate the obelisks: if your opponent has two potential shots from different angles, including the current position of a pair of stacked obelisks. Separating the two would force your opponent to make a choice between shots and perhaps change the positions enough to shift the defensive positions. It's not great, but when you need to use your defenses, you do what you must.

It's not a position that I've been in, EVER.

Also in Khet you're not allowed to stack obelisks three-high. It was a question I had which I checked in the rules. There's no rule against replacing a destroyed top obelisk with another obelisk.

The other distinction between the games has been mentioned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.