Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris
Belgium
Leuven
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Mistfall together with this expansion in Essen this year. After reading the rules, it seems I bought this for nothing, as I don't seem to be able to get to the full xtend of this, without the kickstarter exclusive quests. Let me get into detail:

If I follow the setup rules, I need to take a final quest, other than th KS one. No problem with this. The problem is with the followin step. From this point on, nothing is mentioned about difference for people without the KS exclusives. So now I take all 4 basic quests, remove the one that is the finl one, and also remove into the wilds. So I have 2 cards left, I need to shuffle these and place 3 random ones on top of the final quest. Now can someone explain me how I need to select 3 cards from 2 available.

I'm still trying to fully understand the base game (It isn't that easy to learn from the rulebook). I already tried the game and I'm happy about the base set, and how the mechanics work. I just feel that I bought this expansion on the promise of adding campaign play, and I don't seem to be able to do this. Is there somehing that I'm overlooking, of is this something that was overlooked by the designers?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
Herne
flag msg tools
We recently tried the game and ran into the exact same problem. How do we actually use the campaign system?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pawel P
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this case you use all 4 missions starting with Into the Wilds.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jared lucev

South Carolina
msg tools
I gotta say, I feel they really dropped the ball hard here. They never should have taken space in the expansion for something only useful to KS backers. Anyone who buys the pack later on is spending money on content they will never be able to use, simply because they chose not to include one card. Add to that, the Elite versions are extremely lackluster, just a slight modification to the stats of the encounter. No new abilities, no new effects....nothing more than a slight stat bump. Why not just give make two entirely new encounters and make the expansion work for everyone? I don't want to go so far as to say I feel ripped off, but I do feel really let down. They need to offer the missing quest card through the mail or something, or they risk sending the message of only caring about Kickstarter backers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spe Wi
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Has anyone come up with a workaround for this? Does the campaign work if one simply leaves out the KS exclusive card? Or is there a p&p or proxy option?

Or is it simply the matter of not removing a final quest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jared lucev

South Carolina
msg tools
The issue is that you can't use the KS card because you don't get the quest setup card. You can only use one of the two alternate versions of the quests from the base game, and that's what leaves you with too few quests to play the campaign as designed. So to someone that didn't back the KS all three Final Encounters can't be used.

With more expansions you'd have enough quests to make it a non-issue, but for now there is no solution unless they give out/make available the setup card for Karnas, and you'd still be locked in to using him as your final encounter.

Hopefully they will make the KS limited stuff available soon, since they did say that they'd put some in the BGG store. But having to pay more money to use content I already paid for is very annoying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin DeOlden
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
badge
Twilight Imperium 3rd - Forever
mbmbmbmbmb
All three of the Kickstarter exclusive material extras are now available in the BGG Store

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/mistfall-quest-nightm...

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/mistfall-enemy-pack-1

http://boardgamegeekstore.com/products/mistfall-encounter-pa...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burnett
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting this. However, I just checked my copy, and I noticed I had bought all of these from the BGG Store in November during BGGCon. So I'm glad you posted this, but I'm sad that others haven't had this in the interim.
(Alas, I haven't played since I got these, but we almost played last week.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Face Ache
msg tools
I was thinking of getting this, any final word on this? Am I going to have to get the Kickstarter extras or is there a way around it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Ant
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Jolly Teaparty wrote:
I was thinking of getting this, any final word on this? Am I going to have to get the Kickstarter extras or is there a way around it?

I'm not sure anyone on these boards has ever tried the Valskyrr "Campaign" (which isn't much of a campaign IMO) but I at least have all the components, so I'll answer.

The KS extras from the BGG store are actually rather interesting, but only if you're "all in" on the Mistfall game, for example if you're thinking about getting the upcoming expansion (end of year?).

You'll get two complete new quests (#V and #VI) to add to your regular game, plus another batch of time cards, 18 new regular enemies (6 in each color), plus of course the cards you need for the new quests. Perhaps a bit pricey, but all the cards are well produced and interesting.

The two new bosses in the KS extras would also be used in the Valskyrr Campaign (which I recently obtained from Amazon although they were running low on stock apparently).

I'm still planning on trying the campaign with some tweaks, maybe with two players, or, best case, I might be able to get three players interested in it.

Put briefly, I don't like the Valskyrr Campaign out of the box because you use very few of the components. I'd rather "tweak" the rules a bit to make the campaign longer (i.e., turn it into a real campaign rather than a few linked scenarios). That way we could make use of all the extra stuff we're buying, rather than see most of it sit unused in the box.

In sum, if you're "all in" on Mistfall, probably a good purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls