Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another preview for Mists of Bilehall was posted:

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2015/10/28/tainte...

The tainted mechanic really looks refreshing, something that will mix up the dynamic between hero and overlord. I'm looking forward to it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Williams
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
BITS FOR THE BITS GOD!
badge
Staring in dumbfounded terror at Frans Raynor's neckbeard.
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the Reanimates and Broodwalkers are patently horrifying in power level. This is exactly what the witch-doctor ordered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recall someone saying (don't remember who or where) the tainted cards wouldn't be usable outside this expansion, but from what I read it seems to me they can be easily added to any campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
seb seb2
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
I recall someone saying (don't remember who or where) the tainted cards wouldn't be usable outside this expansion, but from what I read it seems to me they can be easily added to any campaign.

but not really thematic i think outside of those quests.
(i am not impressed by those cards...)
The tainted mechanic doesn't seem to do much to the game.

Monsters,on the other side are great
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:

Imo these cards make the game somewhat harder for heroes under certain circumstances. Heroes not being able to stand up or being able to be revived by other heroes that were KO'd during this encounter will drop the heroes capabilities extremly once 2 or 3 heroes were KO'd.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:

I think it was me who said that

The cards seem to be intended for this expansion only, but you can always house rule them into other campaigns. They might provide an interesting change of pace, but could also unbalance quite a few quests.

Personally I think they might work best in coop adventures, even if that is completely unintended. I hate the "fate and doom tokens meet, time to pack up this 3 hour game because we lost of reasons" mechanic. Instead, every hero could receive a face up tainted card if the tokens meet, and they would then have to finish the adventure with their literally last life. The chances of success might be low, but it would be a lot more thematic for the heroes to be overwhelmed, then to die by an arbitrary time limit that just runs out.

On another note: The new monsters seem to be refreshingly different, but dangerously powerful. I hope the reanimates are no "conversion kit kobolds 2.0".

Altogether though, I´m still not very impressed by this expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DelphiDie wrote:
The cards seem to be intended for this expansion only, but you can always house rule them into other campaigns. They might provide an interesting change of pace, but could also unbalance quite a few quests.

Well, as I read the text in the tainted cards, the effects look pretty generic and no particularly related to any of the expansion features, so the house rule would be simply using them. What makes you think they're intended for this expansion only? Is there any rule explicitly limiting them to the expansion campaign? or is it because of the overall theme?

Surely they have a risk of unbalancing the game towards the overlord, but I'd be more than willing to use them if only for thematical reasons. I think they might add a real sense of threat for the heroes which is sadly absent to the game now (like, you know, "oh gosh, they knocked my hero out again. well, I'll spend this surge and we're good to go!"). And they also remind me a lot of the condition cards in Arkham Horror, which is a feature I totally adore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casper jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
What the Tainted cards seem to add to the game, gameplay wise, is an incentive to try and knockout different heroes, instead of holding the same hero down again and again. This seems like a nice welcome.

And man, those monsters... *droool*
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
srcabeza wrote:
Well, as I read the text in the tainted cards, the effects look pretty generic and no particularly related to any of the expansion features, so the house rule would be simply using them. What makes you think they're intended for this expansion only? Is there any rule explicitly limiting them to the expansion campaign? or is it because of the overall theme?

There was a quote in the first MoB Preview, which strongly suggests that this mechanic is meant to be used in the MoB Campaign.

First Mists of Bilehall Preview wrote:
During the Mists of Bilehall campaign, the overlord deals a facedown Tainted card to each hero at the start of each quest. While the hero possesses a Tainted card, his health is increased by two, but when he’s knocked out, he must flip his Tainted card faceup. For example, your Tainted card may be Bad Blood, which forces you suffer a strain every time you recover damage. In addition, while you have a faceup Tainted card, you are tainted and can only recover damage from untainted heroes or heroic feats! While the individual effects of a given Tainted card may vary, you can be sure the toxic effects of the mists have proven deadly to heroes before.

srcabeza wrote:
Surely they have a risk of unbalancing the game towards the overlord, but I'd be more than willing to use them if only for thematical reasons. I think they might add a real sense of threat for the heroes which is sadly absent to the game now (like, you know, "oh gosh, they knocked my hero out again. well, I'll spend this surge and we're good to go!"). And they also remind me a lot of the condition cards in Arkham Horror, which is a feature I totally adore.

I agree, and will also try to experiment with the tainted cards in other campaigns. But they might simply be either too harsh for the heroes, or even the overlord. The permanent + 2 HP will give the heroes a certain edge, and they still apply after the card is flipped. I also think they will work well in a 4 hero game, but I imagine them to be utterly frustrating in a 2 Hero game. Splitting up, which is already a bad idea, would become litteraly impossible. As soon as an isolated hero is knocked out, it´s almost assured game over for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santi Velasco
Spain
Mairena del Aljarafe
Seville
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes in some cases it can be hard indeed. I look forward to check the MoB rulebook to se how exactly this mechanic is implemented; I am sure there can be a workaround to use taint generally, like for instance removing the nastiest cards from the deck or something like that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The kicker- the reason tainted cards are trouble for other expansions- is that other quests are not necessarily over if all 4 heroes are KO simultaneously.

This is much more likely to occur as the last hero to be KO of the party is done for the encounter (provided there is not a heroic feat to heal him (since the other heroes are now tainted). The OL KOs one by one until there are no heroes standing, and sensibly the map must be over since the heroes are all just KO- it basically adds a necessary new victory condition for the OL.

However, many encounters do not have this victory condition. Without adding it (which will likely heavily impact strategy) it creates situations where the OL could KO all heroes, and then literally just pick up his entire deck for encounter 2 by letting an arbitrary of rounds go by before actually winning the encounter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian H.
Germany
Weilburg
Hessen
flag msg tools
Evil Overlord
badge
Evil Overlord
mbmbmbmbmb
A great explanation Zaltyre thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Stripling
United States
Lowell
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Belsamoreth wrote:
The tainted mechanic doesn't seem to do much to the game
Not sure I agree here. Heroes can no longer stand up on their own or revive other heroes if tainted. This makes it a lot harder to split up and allows the OL to potentially whittle down the heroes' numbers or get a total party knockout. Death has real consequence, beyond the actions lost and OL card gained.
As to how to integrate it into other campaigns, tainted seems a fairly balance-shifting mechanic. I don't know if it would work for all quests. I might introduce it sparingly, maybe having heroes roll a D6 or something when they're knocked out and giving them a tainted condition if they roll a one. I'd have to see how it plays though.
-ryanjamal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.