United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Paul Klee, "Tod und Feuer" (1940)
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said in the title, I've been working on a series of comparative reviews. I take a number of similar games, as few as two (Downfall of Pompeii vs Survive: Escape from Atlantis) to as many as nine (entire Commands & Colors series) and weigh their pros and cons - you get the idea.

The problem is with how BGG's forums are set up, with each game having its own more or less independent forum. It doesn't seem like there's a high enough profile neutral space to post such a review. I could hypothetically cross-post my review to each forum, but when I'm looking at nine different games you can see how that would be problematic- I don't want to come across as spamming myself all over the site. Also, there's a bit of a problem with factionalism - people who like a game already are more likely to subscribe to its forum, and in a comparative review one game is likely to be favored over others. You can see the result of this whenever someone posts a negative review of a game - there's likely to be a pile-on in the comments, accusations of just not having played it enough, no-true-gamer, etc. So you can see why I'd prefer a neutral space, to avoid excessive negativity.

I've been thinking about this for quite a while and have come up with four general options, each with its own advantages and disadvantages:

1. General Gaming forums - The main advantage is that this is an uncontroversial and neutral space. One review, one post. However, it would very poor visibility, and no one looking for a review of any of the individual games would be able to find it.

2. Game-specific forums - There are also two sub-options here. One is to make a wholesale copypasta of the review from forum to forum, and the other is to have only the relevant sections of the review posted on each forum. The main downside to the first one is that it involves the highest volume of posts. In addition, the second one, while less spammy, forces a rigid structure on the reviews, without the sort of back-and-forth I'd like to have. The pro is that this is likely the highest visibility option.

3. Geeklists - This is one of the most attractive options, as it provides a neutral space that is still linked to each of the individual game pages. One review, one Geeklist. The main con is that geeklists are buried near the bottom of the game page, below files, and many popular games have literally hundreds of geeklists associated with them, many of them joke lists, auctions, etc. So while the list would be linked to each page, it would still have low to middling visibility. I suppose that this could be combined with a short notification posted to the general forums of each game letting people know that the review is up. The other main con is that once again, this forces a rigid game-by-game structure upon the review.

4. External site - The most neutral option, and the one that gives me the most freedom of formatting and structure - but by far the lowest visibility. If you thought geeklists were buried at the bottom of the game page, well external links are even lower. Hypothetically this could be combined with any of the other options as well...

So there it is... lots of options, as you can see, none of them exactly ideal. I want the reviews to be in a relatively neutral space and avoid the appearance of spamming, but I also want people to be able to find them! Any thoughts or advice would be very welcome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
See this method:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5373164#5373164

I.e. a full review in the review forum of one of the games, and a short post (NOT submitted as a review, but moved later by an admin to the review forum) linking to that full review in the review forum of the other of the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
See this method:
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/5373164#5373164

I.e. a full review in the review forum of one of the games, and a short post (NOT submitted as a review, but moved later by an admin to the review forum) linking to that full review in the review forum of the other of the games.

This is what I was going to suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.