Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luca Ricci
Italy
Vigevano
PV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to be sure I've understood the rules correctly about ships...

At the beginning of the Movement phase:
-I pay 1 treasury/token for every ship already on the board (or the ship is scrapped)

During the Movement phase:
-I pay 2 treasury/tokens to build a new ship

At the end of the Movement phase:
-I pay 1 treasury/token for every ship that I DIDN'T move this turn (or the ship is scrapped)

It's that right? So to mantain a ship that I don't want to move, I've to pay 2 treasury/tokens (one at the beginning and one at the end of the movement phase)?

BUT, I could always move the ship back and forth to avoid this upkeep? Or the rule means that it must end the movement phase not on the starting point to avoid the final upkeep?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walter Kolczynski
United States
College Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfbane wrote:
Just to be sure I've understood the rules correctly about ships...

-I pay 1 treasury/token for every ship already on the board (or the ship is scrapped)

-I pay 2 treasury/tokens to build a new ship

-I pay 1 treasury/token for every ship that I DIDN'T move this turn (or the ship is scrapped)

It's that right? So to mantain a ship that I don't want to move, I've to pay 2 treasury/tokens (one at the beginning and one at the end of the movement phase)?

BUT, I could always move the ship back and forth to avoid this upkeep? Or the rule means that it must end the movement phase not on the starting point to avoid the final upkeep?

No. You pay 1 to maintain an existing ship when you move it, or at the end of movement for any ships you didn't move. So each ship only costs 1 to keep for the whole turn. In advanced civ this was a separate step before movement, but including it as part of movement makes the game flow smoother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clayton Threadgill
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To adjust the OP's post:

-I pay nothing, no matter how many ships I have on the board.

-If a ship has not moved, I can remove it from the board.
-I pay 1 treasury/token to move a ship that was on the board at the beginning of the turn.
-I pay 2 treasury/tokens to build a new ship, and then move it.

-I pay 1 treasury/token for every ship that I DIDN'T move this turn, or remove it from the board.

If you've played Civ or AdvCiv, then it's the same cost as always for building and maintaining ships. Allowing you to do it during the movement phase instead of before hand takes out one of the biggest stalling points during a turn, where seafaring civs had to plan all their movement ahead of time to figure out where they need the boats.

This change also makes the Military tech slightly stronger, especially in combination with Naval Warfare. Moving last is even better when your fleets aren't already committed to the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luca Ricci
Italy
Vigevano
PV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I was tricked by "Once a player starts movement with ships", it means the ship movement and not the movement phase.

I played Civ, but that was long time ago. Now I've got the chance to play it again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.