Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
16 Posts

Grand Austria Hotel» Forums » General

Subject: Can we get a review? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Somebody, anybody... Thanks in advance.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
SapoLJackson wrote:
Somebody, anybody... Thanks in advance.


Video? Written? Which do you prefer?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, any of the two really. There's nothing on here, in English anyways.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Ozzy, I will post something formal soon.

In the meantime:

* Enjoyable experience for the most part. Nice "puzzle" with the room layout aspects.

* Dice mechanism works quite well. You don't use up all of the dice, which is cool - gives you flexibility of choices and "more to do" on a turn. Passing is an option we didn't use near enough - you burn a die and re-roll the remaining ones. This gives you a chance to get the action you wanted/needed, albeit after the others have taken their turns.

* Went quite long with 4 players on first play. General recommendation is to try 2P or maybe 3P on first play to get accustomed. I concur with this. Didn't dislike the game because of it, but a shorter play time than what we experienced "feels more appropriate"

7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Rice
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the time the game takes is fine. However, due to the style of taking turns, the game will feel longer than it actually takes because there is so much down time in between taking turns.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
larryjrice wrote:
I think the time the game takes is fine. However, due to the style of taking turns, the game will feel longer than it actually takes because there is so much down time in between taking turns.


That is a fair assessment. Going 1st and 8th feels like a long wait, while going 4th and 5th is almost too quick
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
Ozzy, I will post something formal soon.

In the meantime:

* Enjoyable experience for the most part. Nice "puzzle" with the room layout aspects.

* Dice mechanism works quite well. You don't use up all of the dice, which is cool - gives you flexibility of choices and "more to do" on a turn. Passing is an option we didn't use near enough - you burn a die and re-roll the remaining ones. This gives you a chance to get the action you wanted/needed, albeit after the others have taken their turns.

* Went quite long with 4 players on first play. General recommendation is to try 2P or maybe 3P on first play to get accustomed. I concur with this. Didn't dislike the game because of it, but a shorter play time than what we experienced "feels more appropriate"




The passing mechanism sounds cool. I've heard the downtime can be brutal in this one, but it's not something that concerns me since almost all of my gaming is two player, and sometimes three. I got a thing for Dice Euros, and I love the running a hotel theme, so really looking forward to playing this.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
SapoLJackson wrote:
The passing mechanism sounds cool. I've heard the downtime can be brutal in this one, but it's not something that concerns me since almost all of my gaming is two player, and sometimes three. I got a thing for Dice Euros, and I love the running a hotel theme, so really looking forward to playing this.


I believe this will shine at the lower player count, and would generally want to avoid the four player count after trying it last weekend - "brutal" is a bit of hyperbole for my experience, but it isn't optimal for sure.

For a dice euro fan, it is definitely worth exploring for two players, maybe even three.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Harskamp
Netherlands
Zeist
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the downtime. Played this yesterday with 4. OMG it took a long time to finish the game. It almost took 3 hours. After that I played with 2. So much better. The game took about 70 min.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
dedkid wrote:
I agree with the downtime. Played this yesterday with 4. OMG it took a long time to finish the game. It almost took 3 hours. After that I played with 2. So much better. The game took about 70 min.


It's the 2-player game that Lookout/Mayfair should have put out this year ;-)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
framebrain wrote:
It's the 2-player game that Lookout/Mayfair should have put out this year ;-)


YOu didn't rate Hengist then?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ugur Dönmez
Netherlands
Hoofddorp
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
larryjrice wrote:
I think the time the game takes is fine. However, due to the style of taking turns, the game will feel longer than it actually takes because there is so much down time in between taking turns.


This.

The main culprits are all the additional actions, that can in turn trigger new additional actions:

I move this coffee from my kitchen to this guest
Then I can move this guest to this room
I close this group and take a reward
I take the reward from the guest
Oh! That allows me to move this guest to a room as well
That reward allows me play a staff member
And so on...

Still, as Larry said, I found the overall game time to be OK, and I enjoyed the game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Frahm
United States
Queen Creek
AZ
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
tonksey wrote:
framebrain wrote:
It's the 2-player game that Lookout/Mayfair should have put out this year ;-)


YOu didn't rate Hengist then?


I didn't care much for Hengist when I played it... wondered if I played wrong, but the more people that play it, the more I realize that the game was just not very good, as I felt. 'Tis no Patchwork, I'm afraid...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wißner
Germany
Augsburg
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Ta-da:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/83738
8 
 Thumb up
1.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:


It's like magic.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ozzy perez
United States
Hialeah
Fl
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MiWi wrote:



Awesome, thanks Mike.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.