Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen McLaughlin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have seen several posts about simultaneous triggers and such, but not one that covers this situation.

My opponent has an unexhausted Blue Jaguar, and on my turn, I play an Anchornaut. Since Anchornaut doesn't have a timing 'anchor' [forgive the pun], can I sneak in the throw before the Jaguar can gaze at my 'Naut?

And relatedly, is it correct that the Jaguar's gaze doesn't exhaust the Jaguar?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I don't believe so. Cards play out (along with their triggers) before you can do anything else. Anchornaut has to be in play before you can use its ability, so the gaze trigger would happen first as part of playing the card. Only afterward would you have the option to use its ability (if it weren't exhausted.)

2. Absolutely. Jags can gaze, gaze, gaze as much as they want unless something else exhausts them. Also, two Jags can trigger for the same card being played (you'd have to pay for each), but you could potentially double-exhaust a unit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Keddie
Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nbfritz wrote:
1. I don't believe so. Cards play out (along with their triggers) before you can do anything else. Anchornaut has to be in play before you can use its ability, so the gaze trigger would happen first as part of playing the card. Only afterward would you have the option to use its ability (if it weren't exhausted.)

2. Absolutely. Jags can gaze, gaze, gaze as much as they want unless something else exhausts them. Also, two Jags can trigger for the same card being played (you'd have to pay for each), but you could potentially double-exhaust a unit.

I'd agree with this in principle, but I'm not 100% sure - the 'anytime during your turn' bit of Anchornaut does make it a bit sketchy. I'd need to check the rules to see if there's any formal timing structure on Reactions that would give it priority over Anchornaut - obviously the Anchornaut has to be in play before the Jaguar can React and Gaze it, so by that same logic it can use its Throw ability.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aaaaah. I had mis-remembered Blue Jaguar as "when a unit comes into play" and not "after a unit comes into play". Interesting. That does put it into potentially-simultaneous territory in which case the active player would get to choose the order of resolution.

I'm far less confident now. I'm curious what the FAQ might eventually say about it (and how Phuzzworthy might rule this one.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hopefully Bob (Edit: the aforementioned Phuzzworthy), the lead playtester will chime in an make it official, but based on something he said about Anchornaut vs Jaguar timing, I fairly certain the Jag gazes before the Naut can throw:

Quote:
Please note that you can't interrupt the resolution of a spell or ability with throw, once something starts resolving it completes it's resolution before another effect can start resolving.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20629734#20629734

The situation is different than in that thread, however, as soon as the Naut comes into play the Jag triggers, and given what Bob said that trigger would resolve before you could use the Naut.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Fritz
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah. That's along the lines of my first response, then. The card playing to the battlefield and its associated trigger(s) would resolve before an opportunity arises to use Throw.

The previous examples of Throw being used happened between distinct game actions (declaring attackers, blocking, etc.) and not in the middle of the resolution of triggers associated with an action. It would feel more in line with other discussions here to play out the Gaze trigger first before Throw.

But Bob's the man, and I'll wait for a ruling or FAQ from him :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERT KLOTZ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
locusshifter wrote:
Hopefully Bob (Edit: the aforementioned Phuzzworthy), the lead playtester will chime in an make it official, but based on something he said about Anchornaut vs Jaguar timing, I fairly certain the Jag gazes before the Naut can throw:

Quote:
Please note that you can't interrupt the resolution of a spell or ability with throw, once something starts resolving it completes it's resolution before another effect can start resolving.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/20629734#20629734

The situation is different than in that thread, however, as soon as the Naut comes into play the Jag triggers, and given what Bob said that trigger would resolve before you could use the Naut.

I need to confirm with Isaac on this one, but this is my leaning currently, it is consistent with the logic of the rest of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J V
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nbfritz wrote:
Also, two Jags can trigger for the same card being played (you'd have to pay for each), but you could potentially double-exhaust a unit.

WOW! I didn't realize that...

Ok so with my 6 dice I bring out my mighty iron rhino!
...Yeah, go ahead and put 5 exhaustion tokens on that mighty iron rhino. Gaze, Gaze, Gaze, Gaze, Gaze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERT KLOTZ
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
I just spoke with Isaac and the way I was leaning is how this is resolved. All effects that could trigger off of an event that a player wishes to use, or must use, resolve before another effect can begin to resolve.

That means in this case, that the gaze triggered upon the Anchornaut entering play, after the Anchornaut entered play the jaguar gaze ability must trigger and resolves before the Anchornaut can use its throw ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.