Subject: Session report of Mission 3 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This was my 17th play of Conflict of Heroes Solo expansion... in 3 weeks time.

While I initially skipped this "huge" scenario 3 with 4 boards and lots of hidden units and wrecks , I was curious how a bigger game would be handled by the system.

As it turned out, it was a smashing play through.

Below you find the initial set up and all these hidden AI's are showing 16 different possibilites of Russians.

The purpose of the scenario is not only killing more Russian Tanks/Mechanised units than you get casualties, but also to find the Commander Tank and destroy it (second KV-1a).

So I set up 2 main forces. To the left 3 x PzIIf that would infiltrate into the small city and try to recce forces there. But my main assault would be on the right with a few smaller Tanks (Pz38t and PZIIIe) and the 2 PzIVe to drive to the mountains area.

Doing group moves with both forces (except for the 2 PzIV) I bridged the gap to the first enemy units.

The Russian T-35 was a beast for my 3 PzIIf. Actually the AI got pretty lucky with a killing blow shot on the front Tank. Kaboem. Later on the left most PzIIf would ride into the town and try to sneak behind the enemy over here, only to get shot in the back by that same T-35: immobilised and later killed.

On that left I just had enough time to see the rumoured forces in the town were nothing. I ended that recce action by hiding in the forests with the remaining PzIIf out of sight.

Meanwhile on the right ...

... a lone BA-10 (sic) put my advance on hold. Terrible unlucky there as 3(!) grouped assaults did nothing to that BA-10. Talking about a holding action of that AI (actually I managed to roll 3 times less than a 5...). At what seemed to take ages my PanzerIII finally made the right attack but this allowed the AI to put in reinforcements on my left ... and this time they weren't fake reports ...

I hurried my PzIV's to that side becoming spend with everything. ... And then this cruel AI gets its Blue Command cards of course ... The result is shown below:

Time went on and it was time to have a brief overwiew of the situation with all these AI popping up, advancing ... and closing in...

It was now apparent the KV1a Tank I was searching for could only reside on 2 different places (and I needed all 2KV1 (!) ).

And the mission clock ... ticked away my precious time while standing at position 9/12.

With obvious Russian superiority in forces on my right, I would do the only thing I could do. Try to go with 3 units to the left and group up with my remaining PzIIf to try to go for those 2 remaining hidden forces. My PzIV would hold off all that right flank.

I would go in massive group mode with CAP's...

I was constantly alternating between spending CAP's and risks (NO pulling "1" cards please !!!!) and it all went quite well

But at the end of that long road stood ... Mister T-35 ...again. And despite it being spend, that is NO problem at all for these AI. I used all trics possible really as can be seen on the picture below...

A typical situation: as when I hadn't cover from that burning wreck that T-35 bastard would have killed me almost certainly (AI farthest away shoots with +2 FP at already hit Unit ...). It shows how cunning this AI is and how many trics as a player you need to pull out of that hat to survive...

So we reached that reinforcing T-26 with another CAP group move and ... KILLED that tank with >+4 !

And then it happened: on the following turn we got the card + 2 mission. Cold end...

The end situation : 4 VP to the Russians.

The game was a blast for 3 hours... What made me loose the fight ?

1. The fact I lost immediately with one lucky blow that first coordinated Tank action.
2. The AI did a marvellous job to hold me up on the right with one junk unit.
3. My PzIV's should have group moved with the others on the left and that hold up should never have lasted so long.
4. Bad luck in locating the KV1 target Commander Tank (only 3 hidden units left and 2 of them were KV1's).
5. Too late recognition of the situation and while the group moves to the left were quite successful, the mission timer just kept ticking too fast...

Conclusion:

What a story teller this is. At the end I looked on my watch and 3 hours were flown past like they were 30 minutes...

And the best thing is that the next time I will set this scenario up it will be COMPLETELY different ...

My next play will be created by the FireFight generator. I am almost certain this game will finally pass its last challenger (Labyrinth) on my top 10 of all time.

11/10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gator Skin
United States
Evanston
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of all the solo scenarios I've played, including those of the Firefight Generator, this one was by far the best. I played it multiple times and will probably go back for more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great report, Benny! I'm anxious to get back to it and try this scenario, in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes this is indeed a good scenario, but I think you will like the first Mission of the first Campaign too.

In that one you have to liberate German prisoners behind enemy lines. That one is Infantry of course, but it has some very difficult dilemmas.

Going in too fast and you will whipe, wait too long and the mission ends,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Romuald Doering
France
Orsay
flag msg tools
mb
Ben_Bos wrote:

And the mission clock ... ticked away my precious time while standing at position 9/12.

Very pleasant report. Thank you.

Just one little question : as RE are AI (Gunter's words), the "AI + Units <= X" ticking of the clock shouldn't apply when you still have a lot of RE. Is that correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Grose
United States
Olmsted Falls
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good report. I got my rear kicked by this scenario twice before winning last night by 1 point! I learned to mass my forces, use group moves and fire, and stay away from any KV-1a. Don't take unnecessary risks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YesMyNameIs Smith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How does this play out without the wrecks expansion? Not real thrilled a scenario uses something from that expansion and it's not mentioned on the box. Love the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wrecks may provide cover and block LOS. You could play without and its no big deal, since its affects both sides. You could also use substitute markers, such as peasant and cow units and assume they all provide +1 DM and block LOS or you could get fancy and create your own.

Edit: There aren't enough wrecks to both lay out the starting wrecks and create a wreck for each destroyed unit. Eventually, should enough tanks get destroyed, you have to remove one of the other wrecks or stop using them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.