Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chad Martinell
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Players: Doug - Phoenicians, Paul - Greeks, David - Romans, Chad (Me) - Germanic Tribes

That is also the order in which we took our turns.

Doug starts the game on marble and everyone (myself included) follows suit. Then he jumps to Iron and everyone follows suit. Temple follows with everyone except me building on a marble city. I built on a gold city. After that the strategies diverged. We were on the western map by the way. Paul felt like he had to fortify his position and spent a lot of resources on building troops, but not expanding. Doug seemed to be able to expand and build troops at the same time. David and myself both spread to the east. Doug was first to pick up a tech VP, and I think I was 3rd. By the end of the game I had a total of 4 tech VPs (the 3rd from getting all 8 techs first). I also picked up 2 Vps for temples and 2 Vps for cities.

There were no battles until the very end of the game, as nobody wanted to invoke the wrath of a revenge retaliation.

Unfortunately I was unable to pick up the 9th Vp for the win, my troops were spread too thin to be able to mount an attack on 2 temples - which is what I needed to do. However, Doug could have taken the win earlier than that by getting a 2nd 7 seas VP and taking a greek temple - but he didn't see it. He still won in the end, but it was close for 3 of us, 8 VPs for myself and David, 9 of course for Doug, and 3 for Paul. Even discussing his strategy on the way home, he felt that he had no other options than what he did, which would make the game broken against the greeks. I don't think that is really the case, but maybe you guys can spread some light on the situation. Oh - Paul started like everyone else, but once Doug built some armies, Paul followed suit. The difference was that Doug had some room to expand along the eastern edge of the board and Paul felt trapped in the middle. I had the top of the board and David had the west side of the board. David and I weren't posing much of a military threat, but he felt compelled to fortify against Doug, and in the end he suffered because of that.

In all I think it is a great game, and I had fun playing it. The next time the strategies might play out a bit differently now that we have a knowledge of the rules and mechanics of the game. Also we may have 5 players next time as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Parrott
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Greeks are far from broken. I've found you have to play the Greeks as a naval power and focus on expanding across the Med. Remember that galleys can fortify cities and temples just as well as legions. You said Paul was building armies which I took to mean legions. This would bottle the Greeks up as they have no where to expand by land except to the north which is directly competing with the Romans and Persians. The Greeks can be tough, but I've found focusing on an early gold temple and getting know how ramped up can put them in a good position. Monarchy, Market, and temples are the Greek's friends. It also helps to make pacts with at least one of your neighbors so that you don't expend resources guarding all your flanks.

Chuck

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.