Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeffrey Layton
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Although BoardGameGeek has lured me into buying and playing more board and card games, I'm really a miniature gamer at heart. So of course I had to paint my Jupiter Rescue figures before playing.

First let me say that you should not prime these models with an oil based spray paint. Now, I have always cheerfully disregarded that advice as I've found that modern primer that bonds to plastic works even when others say it won't. At worst, most plastic models end up slightly tacky, and after they've been painted and varnished, they're fine. Not this time. I ended up stripping all my models and starting over, hand priming them with a water based craft paint.

I've used several different brands of expensive model paints (Citadel, Reaper, etc.) over the years and I find that for my quick and dirty "finish the army and play" style, cheap craft paint works better. I'm talking about the 2 oz bottles that sell for fifty cents at Walmart and craft stores.

There are a lot of identical figures to paint in this game, so I simply speed painted them by priming them black (exception: I primed the robots grey then painted them in their base colors), drybrushing some color details on, and then "dipping" them by painting on Minwax stain. I then killed the resulting shine on the robots and colonists by painting them with Testors Dull Cote. Then I painted the bases. (Now I wish that I'd done the Creep bases in a light pastel blue like the Colonists instead of black. Oh well.)

This method leaves figures quite dark and dirty looking. My son asked why my Colonists are so dirty when the pictures of them in the rulebook are so bright and colorful. I told him that the colony was under attack by aliens, with explosions throwing up dust and smoke everywhere!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.