United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Need some math,

What is the production cost for 108 original cards VS. 54 printed twice?
Restated
How much will I save if I design the game to hold 2 of each type VS. 2 unique print set ups?

Don't include art cost... just production runs of 1000 and maybe 5000.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Moddle
msg tools
mb
It depends on the printing company and the discounts they offer. I have found some of them seem to have extravagant costs for custom sized decks. However, I landed with Drivethrucards, and they have costs that are per card, regardless of whether each card is the same or custom (prices below are double-sided cards as well). I don't know how they compare with others for high volume (a 108 card deck on premium cards would cost you $6.50 at runs of 1000 cards), but for low volume I couldn't find a better price.

http://www.drivethrucards.com/pub_podcard_cost.php
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great post. and a solid reminder that if your card is not a trope in shape your in trouble, due to custom cutter made. (tarot, Poker, Mini, Bridge, Square, are fine)

So, I am seeking the production cost (specifically DIFFERENCE) from over seas mass printing pandagm, wingo or some company that is as good. I am looking to gain insight on the money saved for repeating one production set up VS. 2 unique set ups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i think this depends more on traditional offset vs the kind of laser printing Printerstudio and others do

offset printing they'll need to make a set of 4 plates to print the job (C, M,Y and K). let's says for generalizing purposes they can fit all 54 cards on one sheet. if you run 2 sets of 54 cards this then is cheaper than 2 separate sets of plates, one for set A of 54 and one for set B of a different 54.

back when i was doing graphic design and printing more things each of the platers was like $75. so you'd save $300 with printing set A twice

with new laser print on demand technologies this is not the case. there are no plates. the job is just printed on a huge laser printer so there is no cost savings by doing 2 sets of 54 over 108 unique images

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John A. White
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!!
the $300-ish is offset by the size of the production run.

Now to do the math in my head... um.... Where is that old Wingo quote I had for unit cost.

Thread insight
I am trying to figure out the value of repeating cards twice. And also learning the value of consolidating by repeating.
Love Letter has 3 games per 54 card printing.

In this instance, I am doing the math of 108 unique cards VS. the savings of 54 cards printed twice. (Not respecting art cost)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schumann
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For larger quantities, look at makeplayingcards.com. Same company as Printer's Studio, but set up only for cards, and good discounts for more copies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.