D. Lund
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I will be hosting our first game on Saturday, I will be the Keeper.

Is there a Story you would recommend for a first timer?

And what tips do you have?

What do you wish you knew your first time playing?

Question regarding gameplay:
1. The rules say when an investigator dies, they can respawn as a new investigator. What happens to the dead character? Is it out of the game, or does it go back into the pile of investigators a killed person can respawn as?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cogent suggestions here:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/10563478#10563478

I don't have much to add to that.

Have a GREAT time !!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BasenjiMaster wrote:
Question regarding gameplay:
1. The rules say when an investigator dies, they can respawn as a new investigator. What happens to the dead character? Is it out of the game, or does it go back into the pile of investigators a killed person can respawn as?

They're dead. Pick a new investigator to "arrive late".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Lund
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks! I'll have a read.

BTW, my monster tokens that are supposed to fit under the bases don't fit, or are VERY hard to push in.

Any suggestions on how to fix that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sagritalo
United States
Round Lake Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Decide on the scenario ahead of time, find all the components needed, and set them apart somehow for quicker setup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Set up the board as early as possible.

Make sure you know the rules well.

Print off a quick reference sheet from the files section of this page in case you forget something.

Set the mood. We played a thunderstorm soundtrack from YouTube in the background last time. It worked well.

Be tough on the investigators, but don't pummel the fun out of them.

You may need to help new players along as to how the game progresses and what they are supposed to be doing. It can be a lot to take in at first and can easily bog down with players fighting monsters and forgetting about the objectives.

The first scenario in the base game is a good one.

Be flexible with beginners. Don't be a rules Nazi. Remember, the goal for everybody is to HAVE FUN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Garramone
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To set the mood, I always boot up the iPad version of Elder Sign and just let the creepy sounds and piano music play in the background.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Lund
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmb
The monster tokens don't seem to fit the bases. I can push them in with much resistance, but then it would be impossible to get out.

Anyone else have this problem? And how can I fix this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matěj Jan Morávek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had this problem with few of the tokens. Use knife, or more force:-). There is no need to take them out anymore (unless you decide to paint the minis including the bases;-)).

As mentioned above, the Fall of the House Lynch is great scenario for beginners. If you want to run the game well, I suggest to read through the event cards - it spoils a bit of fun for you, but you will know what is coming and may prepare your moves and storytelling.
Always have on mind, that it is important to have fun, so save some uber-plays you may find yourself able to set up (Eyes in the dark followed by Panic comes to mind immediately) for later, when you will play against some experienced players who are willing to take some unfair moves played against them. The game can sometimes converge to a situation, when the investigators have absolutely no chance to win or do anything sensible - that needs to be avoided in order to have fun (and future plays).

New players playing investigators sometime need some hidden advice-giving (you should be sure that they know where they need to go at any moment of the game and they won't go a-stray much - the time is very limited for the investigators, especially if they are only two or three).

The purpose of the game is to tell and live the story, so make it a great and compelling one! And don't forget to have a good time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk K

New Kensington
Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plan ahead. Ignore what the rulebook says about everyone setting up at the same time. The Keeper should give him/herself at least a few hours to make all the decisions for the scenario and get an understanding of how the game should play out. The fun in playing Keeper is seeing how your choices unfold, and you'll miss out on that if you don't prepare well.

After that, give yourself a good hour to get the game set up (again, don't wait until the other players are ready to go). It's a Fantasy Flight Lovecraft game, so you have to figure out the best layout for all those cards and chits on your table.

As far as setting the mood, I like to play mellow 20's era jazz that sounds like it's being played on an old gramophone. It fits the period and sounds super creepy. There are plenty of examples on Youtube. Unfortunately, you need good lighting to play this game, so you can't set the mood that way.

Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Lund
Norway
Stavanger
Rogaland
flag msg tools
mbmb
matejmoravek wrote:
There is no need to take them out anymore

Oh, I thought we swapped them according to story. So even if I end up getting the expansions I will not need to take the monster tokens out again?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Karlsson
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
BasenjiMaster wrote:
matejmoravek wrote:

Oh, I thought we swapped them according to story. So even if I end up getting the expansions I will not need to take the monster tokens out again?

If you can tell the figures apart, then it´s not a good idea. Different stats so you know which monster is the strong one etc. I used a small knife and needle file to widen the slot so they go in and out easy and then just randomly pick one token each time a monster come up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bauer
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BasenjiMaster wrote:
matejmoravek wrote:

There is a monster token for every stand, so no.. you don't need to take them out again. The issue with painted minis is not that big in my opinion. Most people here suggest to read the event cards in advance. If the keeper already knows so much, why shouldn't he or the investigators be able to tell the monsters apart? And I believe hardly anyone does that anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems the 'knowing which monster it is" problem can be easily solved without swapping monster tokens in the base.

Put the model for any version of that monster on the table.

Then THE FIRST TIME ONE NEEDS TO KNOW THE DETAILED STATS, roll a die to determine which version it actually is.

Use the model for that version from that point onward.

The above is what we do, and it generally works just fine.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Bradshaw
United States
Farmington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Double-check your setup, then check it again, before the game starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roberta Yang
msg tools
chicklewis wrote:
Then THE FIRST TIME ONE NEEDS TO KNOW THE DETAILED STATS, roll a die to determine which version it actually is.

The keeper gets to know its stats as soon as it's placed, and has a fair chance of caring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.