Subject: Any chance of Episodes I-III content? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark T
United States
Southern MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This may have been asked already, but with several hundred pages to wade through, I figured I'd just throw it out again.

I certainly don't have the same love for Episodes 1-3 as for 4-6, but there are a few interesting ship types from Eps 1-3 that would be fun to explore. Has there been any word on whether any of this content might ever see the light of day? I'm guessing not since Episodes 7-9 are on their way and will likely provide plenty of fresh, new content for some time to come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Devs have mentioned a few times they intended to stick to the civil war era. Though now they are extending it to whatever era the new movies are going to be considered in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on Wave 8, it looks like they're focusing on ships from new releases (Rebels and Force Awakens). With a new movie coming out every year, I'd expect that will be the focus of future waves, rather than introducing ships and pilots from a trilogy of movies many Star Wars fans try to forget.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
FFG does not have license for the prequels and apparently has no interest in getting it either is not interested in prequel material.

Edit..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
FFG does not have license for the prequels and apparently has no interest in getting it either.

Do you have an official source for that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SMDMadCow wrote:
a1bert wrote:
FFG does not have license for the prequels and apparently has no interest in getting it either.

I don't have the link, but it has probably appeared in some interview from their CEO (?), so you decide how official that is.

Would you need a press release from them, or would that be enough?

(i.e. I'm just repeating what I have heard. Could have been something I have geekmodded. Or third-hand information. But it matches all indications from FFG this far.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Redfearn
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
SMDMadCow wrote:
a1bert wrote:

I don't have the link, but it has probably appeared in some interview from their CEO (?), so you decide how official that is.

Would you need a press release from them, or would that be enough?

(i.e. I'm just repeating what I have heard. Could have been something I have geekmodded. Or third-hand information. But it matches all indications from FFG this far.)

Ok, I thought you might have had something more solid than second or third hand info that may or may not be accurate. If that is what they stated, then Im kinda dissapointed in no Vulture droids or N-1s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
I see the issue as a lack of material.

Episode 1: Vulture droid, Naboo N-1, Naboo cruiser
Episode 2: Jango Fett's Slave 1, Jedi starfighter, republic troop transport
Episode 3: droid tri-fighter, arc-170, g-wing (grevious' escape ship)
Clone Wars: original Y wings, that weird shuttle Anakin uses, some of the bounty hunter ships.

Plenty of chassis, but it is a lack of material for each. The Vulture and Tri-Fighter would have no unique pilots and realistically only one skill level. Arc-170 and the G-wing also don't have much screen time to work off.

Naboo N-1 could scrape some pilots together for a cheap ship with bad maneuvering and torpedo/astromech slots. You could make a complete expansion here.

Naboo cruiser would be an epic sized ship similar to the transport.

A Jango Fett slave 1 would be pretty awesome. Not sure what else to shoehorn into it to make a complete expansion though.

Lots of material for the Jedi Starfighter. Obi-won, Anakin, plo Koon as unique pilots. I can't remember if Ahsoka ever flew one or not.

Now, the old school Y wings would be fun. Plenty of screen time for various unique pilots and passengers. A beefed up y wing with the armor it was intended to have. Add in the passenger slot and you have some opportunity for some real fun.

you have lots of material for a few republic ships, but not enough for matching separatist and scum/villainy material for even waves.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
Mercury is my dog's name.
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
SMDMadCow wrote:
a1bert wrote:

Would you need a press release from them, or would that be enough? :D

That's just completely untrue. FFG has the license for all of Star Wars. FFG took over the license when WotC lost it (and WotC put out tons of Prequel stuff, which may or may not have been a successful strategy). There are plenty of things from the Prequel Trilogy throughout FFG's Star Wars games.

Seismic Charges (in X-Wing) - From Attack of the Clones
Nexu (in Imperial Assault) - From Attack of the Clones
Toydarians (in Edge of the Empire: Enter the Unknown) - From the Phantom Menace
The whole Force & Destiny core book is practically a guide to the Prequel Trilogy Jedi Council - you get rules for Cereans (Ki-Adi-Mundi), Togruta (Shaak Ti and Ahsoka), Zabrak (Darth Maul and Eeth Koth), Nautolan (Kit Fisto), and several other species, not to mention the Jedi starfighters from Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith.

FFG hasn't put out stuff more directly grounded in the Prequels because they don't want to. Either they don't think there's a market for it or they just like the Original Trilogy era better. I've watched a ton of Christian T Peterson's announcements and presentations, along with talks with FFG's developers, and I've never once heard anyone actually associated with the company way that the license was limited to certain eras. They've always said that they prefer the Original Trilogy era and that was what they were focusing on, but never suggested anything more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
FFG hasn't put out stuff more directly grounded in the Prequels because they don't want to.

At least that is what can be said to be true.
Dr Lucky wrote:
I've watched a ton of Christian T Peterson's announcements and presentations, along with talks with FFG's developers, and I've never once heard anyone actually associated with the company way that the license was limited to certain eras.

Every interview since Imperial Assault came out? Have they said they have licenses to all Star Wars content?

(There is no "took over" in licensing. I'm sure the license was renegotiated for and by FFG. FFG also has regionally only the license to release Star Wars -related miniature games, while Hasbro has the board game rights, which muddles up the licensing even more. You must have heard the mess with the distribution of Imperial Assault when it wasn't considered miniatures game anymore.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
a1bert wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:
FFG hasn't put out stuff more directly grounded in the Prequels because they don't want to.

At least that is what can be said to be true.
Dr Lucky wrote:
I've watched a ton of Christian T Peterson's announcements and presentations, along with talks with FFG's developers, and I've never once heard anyone actually associated with the company way that the license was limited to certain eras.

Every interview since Imperial Assault came out? Have they said they have licenses to all Star Wars content?

(There is no "took over" in licensing. I'm sure the license was renegotiated for and by FFG. FFG also has regionally only the license to release Star Wars -related miniature games, while Hasbro has the board game rights, which muddles up the licensing even more. You must have heard the mess with the distribution of Imperial Assault when it wasn't considered miniatures game anymore.)

I obviously can't say I've seen everything CTP has said since Imperial Assault came out - I don't follow the man around. What I can say is this. I have seen lots of speeches and interviews, and they've been very consistent in their messaging that they want to stick with the Original Trilogy era (at least before there was an Episode VII era). They refuse to discuss the specifics of any of their licensing deals in great detail, which is pretty normal business practice. They also have a strong policy of not discussing unannounced products, so even if something Prequel based was being considered, we wouldn't hear about it until they were ready to make an announcement - they do not discuss speculative products or things that are just possibilities.

The idea that the license doesn't include the Prequel Trilogy is silly because it doesn't make any sense:

They can include an Eta-2 Actis Interceptor (Obi-Wan and Anakin's Jedi starfighters in Episode III) in Force and Destiny, but not in X-Wing?

They can include a model of an Episode II monster (Nexu) in Imperial Assault, but not a model of an Episode II starship in X-Wing?

They can include pilots from the Prequel Era on Pilot cards in X-Wing (like Captain Kagi from Episode III or Latts Razzi and Moralo Eval from the Clone Wars) but they can't include ships from that era?

Fantasy Flight and Lucasfilm (the original deal was done before the the Disney acquisition) made this deal before FFG had the specific product lines made, so saying that they could use Prequel models in Imperial Assault but not X-Wing isn't reasonable, because those games weren't designed yet (Jason Little did a very interesting interview where he tells a story about getting the call to start the design process for a Star Wars space combat game after the license deal was made - and X-Wing was years before IA). Even after the Disney acquisition, we've seen Disney's logo on FFG Star Wars products (like the Force and Destiny RPG core book) with of Prequel content.

There is no reasonable way to infer that FFG doesn't have a license to the Prequel content. That is a silly rumor that has been bouncing around the internet for years, but no one can ever actually point out a source. This is just urban legend, so unless you can actually find an authoritive statement from FFG or an FFG employee, you should probably stop passing it off as fact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, we're left with - There is little chance for Episodes I-III content because FFG is not interested.

(Except for specific picks of generics that may appear during prequels, but may have also appeared in Extended Universe.)

Everything else is speculation and opinions, not fact.

I can live with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.D. Shrum
msg tools
I certainly hope not. I'm having a hard enough time justifying the purchase of the goofy looking punisher and k-wing.

Plus a Jar-Jar crew card might cause my upgrade card binder to burst into flames.

~A.D. Shrum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Sweat
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
I sincerely doubt FF will release content taking place in the Prequel era for any of their miniatures games for several reasons:

1) No one wants it. While some people don't mind them as much, Episodes 1-3 are simply a hard marketing sell, especially to the older SW fans who buy the majority of their Products and tend to hate the prequels more passionately than the casual and younger fans.

2) It would be a mess to add into the design. Its already going to be a stretch to have Episode VII pilots flying with Episode IV Pilots that predate them by 30 years, adding another 20-30 years to that gap would be even worse. Also the Faction alignments would be a mess on their own, let alone trying to mix them with the existing factions.

3) There is a limit to how much content that they can (wisely) put out at a time, and they are already going to have their hands full for a while with new movies every year.

All that being said though, I do see a lot of potential for them to cherry pick some specific things and drag them into the era that they like, which, with the release of wave VIII for X-Wing, is apparently from about 5 years before Episode IV to all the way to Episode VII.

My personal Hope is for:

-a Rebel ARC-170 and LAAT (republic gunship). My two favorite designs from the Prequels, its easy to believe the Rebels having some of these if they still have some Y-wings.

-An Imperial V-Wing. The Official cannon Novel Tarkin confirms the empire continuing to use these (as well as ARC-170s) until at least the 6th year of the empire. I can see a few still being around in backwaters (or in the hands of Scum) and it would be cool if the empire had an astromech slot.

-Venator Class Star Destroyers for Armada

Stuff I can't ever see happening:

-Any droid ships. No pilots and they were all Shit designs anyway.

-Any Jedi star fighters. They are sweet, but there's no way to bring them or their pilots into the Rebellion Era (except maybe a Vader only Eta-II, which he used until at least the 6th year of the empire, before switching at some point to the Tie advanced X1 by the 15th year of the empire)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I really care that much whether we see Prequel Era ships or not. I've enjoyed playing with the ships that I grew up with, but I've also enjoyed playing with a bunch of ships where I have no familiarity with their source material (particularly, I never played Star Wars Galaxies, so the Decimator and Kihraxz are new to me). I've even enjoyed playing with a ship FFG made up from scratch (the Raider). I can't imagine why playing with the Prequel Era ships would be any less fun.

At this point, I've got a lot of faith in the X-Wing design team (recent waffling on the Damage Decks aside). As long as they keep putting out two waves a year, I'm sure I'll keep having a blast. I would like them to be looking at the game and asking what it needs or what would be interesting, and then finding ships from throughout the source material to match. If that leads them to Prequel Era ships, so be it.

That being said, the issues with factioning seem to make Prequel Era ships unlikely. I wouldn't mind more factions, but there don't seem to be enough ships (and especially enough potential pilots) to make CIS viable, and just adding the Republic as a faction seems odd.

I really do think the V-19 Torrent is a great ship design (first from Tartakovsky's Clone Wars and then The Clone Wars, though not actually in any of the films). It's a little odd but I think it fits the Star Wars aesthetic perfectly. I think that would be really cool in X-Wing, but it won't break my heart to have other ships instead.

It does surprise me just how much vitriol some people have for the idea of Prequel Era ships. I get that plenty of people didn't love the movies , but it still seems like the ARC-170 is a more firmly entrenched piece of Star Wars lore than the M3-A Scyk. As bad a movie as I thought Attack of the Clones was, I don't think it was worse than IG-88's story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and I'm still happy to have the IG-2000 in X-Wing.

Just give me more ships, whether they come from the Prequels, new movies, Rebels, the EU/Legends, wherever, and I'll be happy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
As bad a movie as I thought Attack of the Clones was, I don't think it was worse than IG-88's story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and I'm still happy to have the IG-2000 in X-Wing.

IG-88's AI being installed in the Death Star central computer (something which doesn't really make a lot of sense in the movies, all the systems seemed to operate at a WWII level of tech...) and messing with people by closing doors and stuff seemed totally awesome to me, when I was 13. Re-reading those stories this year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:
As bad a movie as I thought Attack of the Clones was, I don't think it was worse than IG-88's story in Tales of the Bounty Hunters, and I'm still happy to have the IG-2000 in X-Wing.

IG-88's AI being installed in the Death Star central computer (something which doesn't really make a lot of sense in the movies, all the systems seemed to operate at a WWII level of tech...) and messing with people by closing doors and stuff seemed totally awesome to me, when I was 13. Re-reading those stories this year...

Yeah, I've been surprised how poorly some of the stories hold up rereading them as an adult. When I was a teenager, I totally missed how much of a mess Shadows of the Empire was. It really turned me off to the idea of going back to any of the other EU books.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:

Yeah, I've been surprised how poorly some of the stories hold up rereading them as an adult. When I was a teenager, I totally missed how much of a mess Shadows of the Empire was. It really turned me off to the idea of going back to any of the other EU books.

Recently getting back into PC gaming, it has been quite a surprise to see how poorly most of the old Star Wars games have aged, as well. For books, I might give the X-Wing series a try, I remember those being a little better, but even back then I never got past book 4...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron D
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
I like hats.
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeykins wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:

Recently getting back into PC gaming, it has been quite a surprise to see how poorly most of the old Star Wars games have aged, as well. For books, I might give the X-Wing series a try, I remember those being a little better, but even back then I never got past book 4...

When X-Wing and TIE Fighter released on GOG, I jumped on them immediately and was not disappointed. Pure nostalgia, tons of fun (though it helps that I still have a decent joystick, even if it is an old one). However, I've been hesitant to go back to Dark Forces, which was another game I really enjoyed. I'm not confident that it will hold up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John NotBatman

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr Lucky wrote:
monkeykins wrote:
Dr Lucky wrote:

Agreed, coming back to Shadows as an adult is just... ugh. I didn't like NewHan the first time around, the second time was just painful. It also felt very sit-com-ish in the way that, because it was placed squarely between two known points, at the end of the story, everything's pretty much right where it all was at the beginning.

Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy... I remembered that as being so awesome, but it's just... full of not good. I wonder if Zahn thinks adding a "u" to the name is just a part of the cloning process? And if you clone a clone, does it get ANOTHER "u"? You can do that once, guy. But you can't keep on doing it.

I never read the X-wing books when I was younger, so they weren't as much of a disappointment, but there was still an annoying level of derivative content, especially in dialogue. (It really annoys me when an author has one of the original trilogy characters say the same goddamn thing they said in one scene of one movie, as though that's all they know how to say. Ugh.) I got through the first five, but the Wraith Squadron books took a step up. When it went back to Stackpole again, I had to stop. I just couldn't keep doing that to myself.

I'm glad I read them all (as far as I got) but it's not the kind of stuff that's really worth going back to. Enjoy your happy memories and move on.

I'd kind of like to try the new stuff, but I'm hesitant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen T
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Word is the new comics are very good. The new book is hit-or-miss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.