Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I've wanted to buy a C&C game for a long time now, but I've always been put off by the two player only tag. The games just look too good to ignore though, but I absolutely, definitely only want one of them. Not Battle Cry, as I have no interest at all in the civil war, but the other three all have appealing themes.

I thought this was going to end up being a really tough choice between Memoir, C&C:A and Battlelore but a friend of mine made it somewhat easier by buying his son a copy of Battlelore. So I know at least I can get the chance to play that sometime.

So, I'm left with a few issues to consider here:

1) I like multiplayer games much more than two player games. I understand that if there were two copies of Battlelore floating around in our gaming pool we might be able to join them together to have an ubergame. But is this going to allow proper multiplayer play (and I have to add I'd much rather it not be a team game)? Does anyone have any details as to what, if anything, the multiplayer rules for Battlelore are going to be?

2) On the other hand, do either of the other two C&C game provide a sufficiently different play experience from BL to be worth owning and playing over multiplayer BL? If so, which? I'm guessing memoir because of the ranged combat, but I could be wrong!

3) Different to BL is my major choice factor here. The other, less important, factors that would influence my decision are setup time (the shorter the better) and depth of gameplay (I'm presuming C&C:A wins both here).

In short then my preferences for choosing a game are most importantly, ability to play a quality multiplayer, preferably not team game (in which case BL wins), secondly being as different as possible from BL (you tell me!) and the tie breaker is setup time and game depth, which I presume will tilt toward C&C:A.

Based on those preferences, which should I get? I should add that one possible answer, if multiplayer BL isn't going to be worth it and all the games are fairly similar, is to buy none of them at all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Matt

My 2c is that all of these are essentially two-player games. Not that they cannot be made to work as multi-player games, but that is not the primary design focus. So keep your expectations in line with this.

The next point is that it usually requires 2 copies of a game to make work it as multiplayer. So, if a friend already has BL, that is a good start. BL also seems more setup for "epic" battles with the reverse side of the board designed with this in mind. BL is one of the current "flagship" products from DoW and they look set to support it in a big way... so I would assume that more multi-player scenarios will be forthcoming.

The final point is that the core concepts and basic game mechanics across all the game are "fairly similar" (depending on the subjective value assigned to fairly) so trying pick one of these over the other on some graduated scale of "game depth" is probably not worth it.

Hope this helps.

PS I think the "family" of games is that good that you owe to yourself to own at least one of them... for whatever reason!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesbook wrote:
Matt
The final point is that the core concepts and basic game mechanics across all the game are "fairly similar" (depending on the subjective value assigned to fairly) so trying pick one of these over the other on some graduated scale of "game depth" is probably not worth it.

People do tend to view C&C:A as being a "deeper" game though. Maybe the problem is simply one of somantics - what people understand by "depth".

Any other opinions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C&C:A also scores in terms of ergonomics. Sure, the wooden blocks don't look as cool as plastic figures, but setting the game up and moving the pieces around is a LOT easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Anderson
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I haven't played multiplayer BattleLore (are there any maps available yet?), I have played several multiplayer games of Memior '44 and it is a lot of fun. In fact I would prefer to play an OverLord scenario of M '44 to any of the 2 player scenarios.

Having multiple officers who move their units the way they see fit while you are in the General seat overseeing the whole of the battle really hikes up the tension in the game. There is nothing worse than handing a powerful card to your friend on the left flank and watching him squander it in a useless artillery barrage or infantry suicide mission. Also there is nothing greater than disobeying an inept general's orders and winning the day despite him.

In short Multiplayer Memior has created some of the most fun gaming moments I've had.

But to answer (at least partially) your question, multiplayer Memior is a team game. There are still only two sides and then you can have various numbers of players (anywhere from two to four) playing on each side.

As for multiplayer BattleLore, I haven't seen any rules or maps for it, so I can't speak for it. (Although I've heard a lot of conflicting rumors about what it will and won't be. I guess we'll see.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Irving
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Jeff that multiplayer C&C scenarios are a lot of fun--I even placed some for C&C Ancients on the Geek: I call them "Armageddon scenarios" (Overlord just didn't fit.)

The game really shines as a fun Beer & Pretzel experience--even better than with 2 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Thrower
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info so far. It's a shame DoW (I always think of Dogs of War when I type that) hasn't put out any more about plans for multiplayer BL. Any thoughts on which of the other games has the biggest difference in play style from Battlelore?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Johannesburg
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MattDP wrote:
Thanks for the info so far. It's a shame DoW (I always think of Dogs of War when I type that) hasn't put out any more about plans for multiplayer BL.

If you put together a list of 'expectations' that the punters have so far for BL, its a wonder [sic] that they haven't already set up a whole new company just to handle it. Perhaps, "The Pups of War"?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.