Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
http://www.startrek.com/article/first-look-halik-raider-for-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's rare that I have this reaction, but I really like the picture choice for the Halik Raider. Also, I like the ability especially with the new Kazon Captain coming out of the blind boosters.

Variable Yield charges, I like. Haron Really likes it along with a photonic charges.

Unremarkable species is a downpowered version of the Kazon advantage in Decipher's STCCG. Seems strange that it would only apply to a ship at a time. It feels like something that would be applied to a Kazon captain in a fleet in apply to all Kazon ships in the fleet. They are all one species after all.

Surat is.....unremarkable to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mb
Halik Raider: Ships ability is ok to preserve a shield for cloaking if so equipped but its risky on such a small ship. 3 Stars out of 5

Surat: Captain is poor. Adding a scan rather than a BS is usually silly and taking an Aux on top of that is not great. 2 Stars

Photonic charges: ok but with such a poor primary attack you really want to use Particle beam each turn in stead. Adding Variable Yield charges helps a bit but you won't have the actions to turn it back on. 2 stars for each.

Aft torp: is a poor version of standard photons that can't even shoot forwards. Not great on a small Kazon and a Bannana boat should use Particle beam as a rear weapon instead as it is harder hitting and doesn't need a target lock. 1 star.

Lorrum is useless on a Predator and not great for a discard to get +2 attack dice assuming the target has a decent sized upgrade on board. Not for that point cost. 2 stars

Kzon Guard: 4 points for an evade. Usually it is 2 points for +1 shield or hull and the Aux on top of that is just a joke. 1 star.

Unremarkable Species. 5 points if the Borg are not your opponents is harsh so only good if you are tailoring a list against a known opponent's list. 1 star.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Covert
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I was excited about Lorrum until I saw the "max 4 dice" at the very end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, just like the Talvath, I think this is a fail for the design team. X-Wing is good at making upgrades to make under powered ships more playable, WK should learn something from them.

Upgrades like Unremarkable Species should have been 1 point if not 0 when deployed to a Kazon ship. Just as Advanced Scanning should have been 0 points for a Science Vessel and 5 for any other ship. If anyone should have scan for free it is a Science Vessel. WK just fails for these things that a particular ship should have naturally.

Variable yield charge should had been a Kazon version of Type 8 Phasers. The very least it should add a weapon slot, because as it is Variable Yield Charge can only go on the Halik Raider and the Predator Classes. On Predators it is a bit useless as it already has 4 attacks.

Surat is a terrible requiring an action and an Aux for only a scan, and nothing in the pack to synergize with a scan. Picard and Spock can add a scan as a free action. Would it have set the game on fire to allow a Kazon captain to have a free action scan? WTF!

For Lorrum and Kazon Guard, I do not even have words to describe how much of a waste of points they are.

The only redeemable cards in this pack are the Aft Launcher and the named ship.

Again lots of wasted opportunity, big fail WK.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with a lot of that, but Unremarkable Species as a free (or near-free perk) seems like a very bad idea. First, because making it the sort of thing that you'd want on each of your ships would just have us bitching about how we need to buy four Halik raiders because of this one card. And second (and perhaps unlike the science vessel), the Kazon don't need a boost; they don't see a lot of use for the same reasons as the other minor factions, but in terms of power level they're already where they should be. Still, I think 3 or so would have been a much more sensible price.

As for Variable Yield Charges, my first thought was "hey cool I can use it with my predator Photonic Charges for a five-die attack. Six on the Relora-Sankur."
I actually really like photonic charges for what they do, but they did need a bit of a boost to make the aux stick. (It's probably not enough to make me buy this pack, though :-/)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
The ship text is great for keeping it alive just a little longer. It helps such a small ship. Not amazing, not bad.

The captain doesn't generate an APT if you have a tech. So strap tractor beam on and go with it. Amazing? No. But there are a lot worse captains. See Kurn.

Aft torpedo launcher is basically aft Weapons array with a timer instead of disable. I like the disable better, but it gives a decent secondary weapon for predators. Given the bad dial on a predator, not needing actions to get that weapon back could be really handy.

EDIT: misread Lorrum. The card blows.

Unremarkable AND Kazan guard are lousy, but photonic charges and variable yield are okay.

So an unremarkable expansion with some nice cards, but nothing meta shattering. I'm good with this for Kazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dodd
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Well, my days of not taking the Kazon seriously are certainly coming to a middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Astoria
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Isn't the article incorrect, though?

IE.,

Quote:
Gaining a scan action is very valuable if you are going up against mines or cloaked ships.

...but he doesn't "take a scan action", instead he "places a scan token beside the ship"? Wouldn't this be ruled the same was as, e.g., Romulan Pilot? IE., scan token isn't the important thing, it's literally "taking the scan action".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Val Cassotta
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hope they fix Surat's card before they print it - looks all jacked up on my screen
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew McLaury
United States
Cocoa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinKase wrote:
Hope they fix Surat's card before they print it - looks all jacked up on my screen

The only time there was ever a difference between the card previewed and the card printed was Kuvak on the Ni'Var - and that went the wrong way, the preview was right but the print was wrong.

This'll definitely be one for your corrections thread, given that both Surat and Photonic Charges have visible issues.

Surat's lack of synergy with his own ship due to the Tech slot issue makes a little more sense given that the Halik Raider isn't his ship - Surat's a Kazon-Mostral, not a Halik.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boardgame Geek
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks good, I'll be grabbing one for sure.

Also....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kobold47 wrote:
I agree with a lot of that, but Unremarkable Species as a free (or near-free perk) seems like a very bad idea. First, because making it the sort of thing that you'd want on each of your ships would just have us bitching about how we need to buy four Halik raiders because of this one card. And second (and perhaps unlike the science vessel), the Kazon don't need a boost; they don't see a lot of use for the same reasons as the other minor factions, but in terms of power level they're already where they should be. Still, I think 3 or so would have been a much more sensible price.

Kazon do need a boost, they should be a viable faction on their own. Even though they were not united, the sects did rule an entire region of space. They have enough ships and screen content to make them viable. Granted they are not up their with the main factions, but they should be able to hold their own.

Unremarkable Species wouldn't be OP if it was 0pts for Kazon only, it could still keep the +5 for non Kazon ships. That combined with the faction penalty for 6 doesn't make it very appealing for cross faction play.

One faction getting +2 defense against only the Borg isn't bad. Most Borg ships have 6 attack dice, not to mention Mag Charges. As it is written not many people are going to pay 5 points on the off chance that they will run into Borg, which are in decline in a lot of metas.

I would have no problem buying multiples of a ship if there is a good card in them or if I want a fleet. I bought 4 Nistrim Raiders for a Kazon fleet. If it had some great cards I would have bought 4 of the Halik, but as is it's not worth it just for the Aft Launcher.

Church14 wrote:
The captain doesn't generate an APT if you have a tech. So strap tractor beam on and go with it. Amazing? No. But there are a lot worse captains. See Kurn.

Only problem is his ship doesn't have a tech slot. He is better on the Nistrim or a Predator. The Halik and generic Raiders don't have tech slots.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mr S Baldrick wrote:
kobold47 wrote:

Kazon do need a boost, they should be a viable faction on their own. Even though they were not united, the sects did rule an entire region of space. They have enough ships and screen content to make them viable. Granted they are not up their with the main factions, but they should be able to hold their own.

Unremarkable Species wouldn't be OP if it was 0pts for Kazon only, it could still keep the +5 for non Kazon ships. That combined with the faction penalty for 6 doesn't make it very appealing for cross faction play.

One faction getting +2 defense against only the Borg isn't bad. Most Borg ships have 6 attack dice, not to mention Mag Charges. As it is written not many people are going to pay 5 points on the off chance that they will run into Borg, which are in decline in a lot of metas.

I would have no problem buying multiples of a ship if there is a good card in them or if I want a fleet. I bought 4 Nistrim Raiders for a Kazon fleet. If it had some great cards I would have bought 4 of the Halik, but as is it's not worth it just for the Aft Launcher.

Church14 wrote:

Only problem is his ship doesn't have a tech slot. He is better on the Nistrim or a Predator. The Halik and generic Raiders don't have tech slots.

I feel Like 0 points for Unremarkable Species is a bit too far. I think the 5 point cost now would be better though if it was a card that applied to your whole fleet of Kazon ships rather than just the one ship- I mean it's not like because you happen to be on a different Kazon ship that you're a different species. This way the 5 point value would be worth it, currently it's asking you to spend 5 points for each ship your fleet that is silly- especially given the theme of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Isn't the article incorrect, though?

IE.,

Quote:
Gaining a scan action is very valuable if you are going up against mines or cloaked ships.

...but he doesn't "take a scan action", instead he "places a scan token beside the ship"? Wouldn't this be ruled the same was as, e.g., Romulan Pilot? IE., scan token isn't the important thing, it's literally "taking the scan action".

On the other hand, it does mean that Surat can synergize with other things that give a free scan action or place additional scan tokens. He might be able to find a home on the Excelsior for instance which is kind of interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moppi Wurm
Germany
flag msg tools
They should have inserted some Talent or tech to do away with aux tokens like the Vulcans have. And something for time tokens like Feds and ROms have. Lorrum would be very good, if he added those dice to the primary attack value.
Unfortunately, all of this didn't happen. Poor Kazon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek B
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ok wizkids, we get it, we'd be fools to play anything but federation, no need to rub it in our faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
Victoryislife wrote:
Ok wizkids, we get it, we'd be fools to play anything but federation, no need to rub it in our faces.

This message brought to you by the Klingon Empire

Borg, Romulan, Dominion, Independents, and Mirror Universe have a bone to pick with that statement though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt W
msg tools
mb
"Unremarkable Species"? More like "Unremarkable Expansion Set". I haven't seen one card on here that helps the Kazon become viable in a faction-pure environment. They really needed better upgrades with this set, and it failed to deliver. The Nistrim-Culluh on the other hand was a pretty decent pack, too bad it's only an OP blind booster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sodoff Baldrick
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zinvictus wrote:

On the other hand, it does mean that Surat can synergize with other things that give a free scan action or place additional scan tokens. He might be able to find a home on the Excelsior for instance which is kind of interesting.

If you really wanted to pull scan shenanigans wouldn't Janeway be better for only a point more (Surat being 4 cross faction) and a much higher skill

My only complaint about Surat is that he is an Action, which is total BS. The feds have Picard, Spock, and Janeway can double down, so why make the Kazon guy have to cost an action. He is already either has to pay for a tech or take an Aux.

There is just no reason for the double and triple penalties built into some cards when other can do the same if not more for nothing more than their cost.

Thot Prad wrote:
"Unremarkable Species"? More like "Unremarkable Expansion Set". I haven't seen one card on here that helps the Kazon become viable in a faction-pure environment. They really needed better upgrades with this set, and it failed to deliver. The Nistrim-Culluh on the other hand was a pretty decent pack, too bad it's only an OP blind booster.

The Aft Launcher is good for Kazon in faction pure, but it is not a good enough card to buy multiples of the pack for it. I was planning on getting 2-4 of these if it had some good cards, but as is it will be 1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hare
msg tools
For some reason your comment has me thinking about a captain with the text "at all times, treat your ship as if it has taken a scan action."

Or word it tighter so cards like Breen Aide or Spock can trigger off of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Landy
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sigh. It really wouldn't "break" the game to give Kazons some half-decent upgrades you know. But these aren't even 10% decent if we are going to be honest here. Give us reasons to want to buy Kazons, that's all we are asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Coon
United States
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
H00D4M4N wrote:
Sigh. It really wouldn't "break" the game to give Kazons some half-decent upgrades you know. But these aren't even 10% decent if we are going to be honest here. Give us reasons to want to buy Kazons, that's all we are asking.

The hair isn't reason enough?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.