Subject: How does this game compare to Runebound? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3rd edition of Runebound is coming out and I've never played it before. I'm curious how the two compare (at least from what people can gather from previews or old Warhammer Quest).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This is nothing like the old Warhammer Quest - that was a modular board game.

Which also makes this nothing like any version of Runebound.

This is purely a card game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joey Larsen
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
The Joeymans chose one to lead them.....The Joeyman
badge
Anyone who thinks that Avatar is a guy with a blue face needs an airbender
mbmbmbmbmb
One major difference is that Runebound is historically competitive, while Warhammer Quest is cooperative. Pretty big difference there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy game of adventuring heroes. Runebound 2nd ED used dice. That's about the extent they have in common. Basically, nothing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess other than coop vs competitive, I want to know what are the selling points on each / what does each game offer

Cheers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Warhammer Quest:
It's a card game, no boards or mats. A few different types of tokens.
Dice for exploration and combat. Roll a number of dice, looking for successes, has "exploding" dice.
Uses action card selection, once a card is used, it can't be used again until an effect resets it.
Full co-op.
Dungeon crawl focused on exploring, looting, and scenarios.
Features a short campaign, allowing players to customize characters from one game to the next. Several ways to upgrade; get more gear, upgrade actions, increase gear limit, obtain character specific items.
No "exp" or gold to track.

Runebound 3rd ED:
Full board game, with minis, board, and many different types of tokens.
Dice for movement, token based combat. Characters and enemies have combat tokens you shake each combat, then choose actions based on the results of the tokens.
Action point system.
Competitive. Currently no co-op, but all players can lose.
Hex crawl adventure game with lots of moving around a map. 3 adventure types: combat, exploration (quests), and social (multiple choice encounters).
Has 2 scenarios in the base game, both are "fight the final boss to win". Each scenario has a unique deck and other cards shuffled into the other adventure decks.
Characters level up by completing adventures and spending experience to buy skills. Gold buys items (which can give new combat tokens). No allies to add to your party.
Uses a time tracker to trigger events, including end game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Senn
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
I guess other than coop vs competitive, I want to know what are the selling points on each / what does each game offer

Cheers

Not to be a jerk. But just look at the pics. Its like whats the difference between an apple and a car
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grove123 wrote:
u1timo wrote:

Cheers

Not to be a jerk. But just look at the pics. Its like whats the difference between an apple and a car

That's a bit extreme. It'd be more like asking for a comparison between an apple and big mac. About all they have in common is "food".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
oldschoolgamr
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Are you standin' yet?
badge
Artwork: My Daughter
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Grove123 wrote:
u1timo wrote:

Cheers

That's a bit extreme. It'd be more like asking for a comparison between an apple and big mac. About all they have in common is "food".

Now I am hungry, thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Star
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Montag451 wrote:
Warhammer Quest:
Dice for exploration and combat. Roll a number of dice, looking for successes, has "exploding" dice.
Uses action card selection, once a card is used, it can't be used again until an effect resets it.
Full co-op.
Features a short campaign, allowing players to customize characters from one game to the next. Several ways to upgrade; get more gear, upgrade actions, increase gear limit, obtain character specific items.

Runebound 3rd ED:
Dice for movement, token based combat. Characters and enemies have combat tokens you shake each combat, then choose actions based on the results of the tokens.
Action point system.
Hex crawl adventure game with lots of moving around a map. 3 adventure types: combat, exploration (quests), and social (multiple choice encounters).
Has 2 scenarios in the base game, both are "fight the final boss to win". Each scenario has a unique deck and other cards shuffled into the other adventure decks.
Characters level up by completing adventures and spending experience to buy skills. Gold buys items (which can give new combat tokens). No allies to add to your party.

This is perfect. Thank you
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ian short
United Kingdom
Newcastle
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The designers of warhammer quest, the Sadler brothers, just kickstarted a game (folklore) that has a lot in common with runebound.

Judging by their other work I'm willing to take a leap of faith and get warhammer quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
u1timo wrote:
Montag451 wrote:
Warhammer Quest:
Full co-op.

Runebound 3rd ED:
Action point system.

This is perfect. Thank you

He forgot to mention the most important difference :

Warhammer Quest: TCG has an official solo play. The new Runebound not.

Which eliminates the latter already for me.

FFG fxxxked up by making the new Runebound solo unfriendly, cutting 30% (at least) of the potential market.

Some publishers/designers will NEVER learn really.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas King
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben_Bos wrote:

He forgot to mention the most important difference :

Warhammer Quest: TCG has an official solo play. The new Runebound not.

That's what I meant by "full co-op".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien Robert
France
Thiverval-Grignon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it compared to Mistfall ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eduardo Soeiro
Portugal
Portalegre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
FFG fxxxked up by making the new Runebound solo unfriendly, cutting 30% (at least) of the potential market.

I agree totally.
I have the Runebound 2.0 with many expansions, and i don´t think in buying the new version. I am pleased in a way, because i save some money.

I hope someday the FFG made a STARWARS:the adventure card game, for solo.
I will be VERY HAPPY.

I play Descent 2.0 solo cooperative games ( witch i like ) and i don´t know if I need to buy the warhammer quest. I am strugging with this.

(PS: the english is not my mother language...sorry )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.