Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

This is my first review here on BGG. I will try to be as objective as possible but this might be worthless because this review only reflects my opinion anyway.

First, I will describe what exactly I like and dislike about Doomrock, then discuss the impact of the expansion in more detail, and finally conclude with an overall verdict.

What's there to like?

(+) Custom character development without the need of a priori deckbuilding a la Lord of the Rings
(+) Simple game structure with only (3x) two phases: adventuring and battling
(+) Rewarding adventure phase (with lots of LOOT!) and highly tactical combat system
(+) Small impact of luck in both phases: even bad die rolls are still useful most of the times
(+) The fun factor: there is enough humour in the game to still be enjoyable even when you are losing

What's there not to like?

(-) Relatively long playing time: My 2-4 player games all took between 3 and 5 hours (solo basically counts as 2 player as you will be controlling two heroes)
(-) Size of cards: especially area cards are way too small for a group of 4 players to sit around and read
(-) Difficulty of final battles: while this has never been an issue for my groups, I could easily see others being frustrated by this.

How does the expansion affect the overall game?

(*) Additional choice of (cool) characters, traits and starting abilities--all of which add interesting options and increase replayability
(*) More random setups due to additional settings/areas/events/enemies, esp. great for veteran players
(*) I am still ambivalent about terrains: they are generally fun and can have a large impact on combat (more than I thought they would) but sometimes there is just way too much to keep track of. Whenever I introduce new people to the game these days, I leave out terrains because they make things too complicated.

As a final point, I briefly need to talk about misprints, typos and other errors that are currently discussed in the forums. Although the 2nd edition contains corrections for >50 typos and other textual errors, there are a few new issues in the expansion. Official errata can be found here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/124427/official-errata-do...

Most of these issues are minor and none of them really affect the overall gameplay. Still, if you are looking for a completely polished and error free game, you will likely be better off waiting for a 2nd edition of the expansion.

As it stands, Assault on Doomrock is a gem of a cooperative adventure game. It's a hidden gem and a rough one but I feel like there is plenty to like about it. In the past 4 weeks, I played it around a dozen times with different player counts and different groups of people. Every game was a lot of fun and there has been nobody in my groups yet who did not like this game. It just offers such a good balance between depth and complexity, a lot of replayability due to random setups, and a great sense of humour.

Final verdict: 8/10
(excellent except for its playing time [-0.5], minor issues [-0.5], and the unexplored potential of more story, scenarios, etc. [-1.0])

Thanks for reading!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
Athens
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Nice review! But I think I would have taken more than (.5) off from the game if it really can last up to 5 hours (especially when the playtime is stated at 2.5 hours)! snore
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poczet Herbut
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
Nice review!

Do you think the playtime will be shorter when people are more experienced with the game? Is it possible to get a 2 player game in around 2 hours?

How would you compare the fiddlyness of this game to, let's say' Sentinels of the Multiverse?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
For a shorter game you could also use the rules for a quick play on page 22 in the rulebook. Or you just play one encounter with costumized setups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SuperMike3288 wrote:
I think I would have taken more than (.5) off from the game if it really can last up to 5 hours (especially when the playtime is stated at 2.5 hours)! snore

I was surprised about this, too. Then again, the up to 5 hours often feel like 2.5 at most. So it's not as bad as it may sound.

Punnuf wrote:
Do you think the playtime will be shorter when people are more experienced with the game? Is it possible to get a 2 player game in around 2 hours?

I do not think that playtime depends that much on experience. From my point of view, many of the more straightforward decisions are simple from the beginning (mostly adventuring) and more difficult decisions often remain difficult (mostly battles). With a bit of experience and the "shorter game" rules, as mentioned by Kha od Dro, it might be possible to play this game within 2 hours.

Quote:
How would you compare the fiddlyness of this game to, let's say' Sentinels of the Multiverse?

I have never played Sentinels of the Multiverse but based on other people's comments I would say that this game is probably less fiddly. The designers of Doomrock definitely put a lot of thought in some of the more fundamental things to keep them simple (e.g. having enemy tokens indicate health points by themselves, rather than having extra tokens for that). As a result, multiplayer games work really well if everybody keeps track of their own hero, but controlling multiple heroes in solo can still be a bit too much for my taste.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Loobeensky
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for answer. Do you know maybe difference between first and second edition? I might be able to buy 1st and wanted to know what changed.

Edit: It's Poczet, forgot to switch from my gf's account.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Loobeensky wrote:
Do you know maybe difference between first and second edition?

To the best of my knowledge, the second edition contains an updated rule book, hero cards that have alternate gender sides, the 8(?) cards from the Indiegogo promo pack, and replacements for 56(?) small cards and 1 large area card that involve "text error corrections and minor balance tweaks" (quote from the kickstarter campaign). All tokens and other game components are the same and there is little to no difference in terms of actual gameplay.

Edit: Regarding the balance tweaks, I am guessing that the Zombie AI might got nerfed as there has been a lot of discussion about it on the forums. I do not know this for sure though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Martin
United States
Lacey
WA
flag msg tools
Check out my Hollenguard book series on Amazon!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as an experienced player we have gotten our games of Doomrock down to the stated 2.5 hours, but as stated in the review the game can go long when you start. I also agree with the reviewer's later sentiment that this time isn't barely noticeable, owing to the depth of the decisions you have to make. For us, Doomrock has been a "Wow, I had no idea it's already been two hours!" kind of game, if that makes sense.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra Loobeensky
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mb
Fnar wrote:
Speaking as an experienced player we have gotten our games of Doomrock down to the stated 2.5 hours, but as stated in the review the game can go long when you start. I also agree with the reviewer's later sentiment that this time isn't barely noticeable, owing to the depth of the decisions you have to make. For us, Doomrock has been a "Wow, I had no idea it's already been two hours!" kind of game, if that makes sense.

It's the first game that when i watch gameplay i get the feeling i had when playing World of Warcraft.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added a link in the review to the official errata to the 2nd edition and expansion. I hope that this will be helpful to people who are worried about existing errors being too severe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.