Subject: This or One Night Ultimate Werewolf? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthias Fischer
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm thinking about getting One Night Ultimate Werewolf (or Daybreak) or waiting for this one. What would you recommend? Are there any differences in the mechanics that would put one over the other?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cagey McCageface
United States
Clawson
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ONUV adds another layer of complexity with the marks. So not only can your role card change who you really are, but the marks can alter things as well. So there are two (or sometimes more) different things to consider when trying to figure out who is who.

There is another phase to consider (DUSK) rather than just the night and day phases. It can make the script at the beginning quite long (relatively speaking) depending on what roles you've chosen.

Ultimately though, they're both fun games. I'd recommend getting a werewolf game and then getting vampire when it's in retail
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff C
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Werewolf.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C
msg tools
The games are nearly exact in gameplay, but indeed, the Vampire game adds a fresh new mechanic with the Marks, which can make things a bit more complex for people who aren't used to the game. The characters are also really interesting in how they work, compared to older characters.

I'd recommend getting the games in order. Play Werewolf first, and enjoy. When you feel like you want more, go for Daybreak. It's actually not meant to be played on its own, its more like an expansion for the first One Night, giving you new cool roles to mix in for new combinations.

Then, if you're up for it, try out Vampire and its new mechanics, and work your way up to Epic Battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you only buy one game, definitely go with ONUW. If you have funds for two, buying ONUW+Daybreak might be a good idea (depending on how many times you expect to play with your gaming group).

ONUW on its own is really fun and simple to introduce. Most people are confused until they realize that first step of the game should be to determine your role instead of spilling the beans
Daybreak shifts focus and sometimes ends up having Werewolf majority. But it's good for messing up with groups who are advanced ONUW players.

I've only played couple of ONUV games in PBF format (epic battles) and they were nice, but quite complex. In my opinion it would be a good addition to really advanced ONUW group that still wants to play the game and add a breath of fresh air to it.

If you are planning to buy just one game and later expand, then make sure to buy sleeves with opaque back. There might be some minor printing differences between games coming from different print runs and sleeves will fix that issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To me it depends on what size your game group is. I think Vampire can do a smaller game group better.

Here's the basic break down. Werewolf is about switching roles around. Roles determine what team you are on So you need to figure out what role you are. There is just a night time action phase.

Vampire is about moving and replacing the tokens. Though with the gremlin there may be some role switching. So it is a combination of role and token that determine what team you are one. There is the duck and night time action phases. Because there is a bit more going on here I think this would play a smaller group better.

Then if you compare these to One Night Revolution - that is similar to Vampire in that you move ID cards around. ID cards determine what team you are on. Though instead of two action phases you have team specific actions per role. Also there is no order of roles, you just go around the table and do your action. So your role has two possible actions depending on which team you started on. This is one thing I am curious about, I wonder if doing it this way would work better with 4 players than the other two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Lewis
United States
Salem
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think the base One Night set is the best if you haven't played, and even then, I still need a lot more time with Vampire before I can say I like it over any of the others. It's A LOT more complex, and requires a lot more thought, and because it's built upon a different game's engine, it's probably best to start with the original.

Daybreak wouldn't be so bad either, but I really like Daybreak as an expansion to the first game more than a game on it's own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.