Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Cody Fleming
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I surprisingly haven't seen as many of these threads as I'd imagined there would be. Getting together with
Dave Mansell
United States
Naperville
IL
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
this Halloween and was contemplating running past my FLGS tomorrow to look for a game. There will be four of us, and strict co-ops do not go over well due to my wife (who only likes to win by herself). Three v. one scenarios go over only marginally better. I'm looking for something with a good scary theme for the night. Game length doesn't matter. Complexity doesn't really matter.

Our group has played the following: Betrayal (always good despite the co-op element), Arkham (hate it), Mall and City of Horror (enjoyable), Last Night on Earth (not so great), Fury of Dracula (boys enjoy, girls are iffy), Mystery Rummy Jack the Ripper (good under right circumstances), Gloom (eh...), and others.

I believe there is a copy of Dead of Winter as well (though my wife and I haven't played that one yet).

I haven't been on the Geek much in the last year or two with my children taking most of my time, so I didn't know if any good games that fit this description came out recently.

To sum: 4 player, non-co-op preferred, any length, any complexity, likely to be at a current store.

Thank you in advance! Happy Halloween, Everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Betrayal At house On the Hill...GREAT game!

Happy Halloween!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Schmoll
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd suggest Dead of Winter. It has a tense and thematic feel, it has the potential of a traitor and there are personal goals so your wife can win on her own and do her own objective.

We have a competitive player in our group who is similar, and Dead of Winter has been her favorite.

Also, bonus of One Night Ultimate Werewolf.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J H
United States
Chesterfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floors
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Gobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Not the avatar you're looking for
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't Turn Your Back fits the bill!

The Bloody Inn also would and looks like fun, but I'm not sure it's out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Transylvania Curses and Traitors. Mostly competitive. There are times where it's in your interest to collaborate, but it's not required and there is one winner at the end. Similar to Betrayal there is a traitor, but there may also be multiple traitors. It's an "experience game" that's light on strategy and heavier on narrative. Plays 3+ so I don't get to play it as often as I'd like, but it's great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burt Yaroch

The Villages
Florida
msg tools
mbmbmb
Run, Fight, or Die!

And a +1 for Dead of Winter if you can get past the co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Fleming
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Steve, I listed Betrayal above. It is a classic! I haven't played the reprint, but the only two flaws are 1-a bit hard if a newbie ends up at the traitor, and 2-many vague moments where traitors and players attack with certain types of stats and other other says, "Uh...ok?"

Thanks, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mistersox wrote:
I haven't been on the Geek much in the last year or two with my children taking most of my time, so I didn't know if any good games that fit this description came out recently.

If you know about Dead of Winter, you are up to speed. Too bad one versus many doesn't really work as Mansions of Madness would be a great pick.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysterium just hit stores. If it's available, it could be a good option.

[edit]

Scratch that, it's co-op.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Molyneaux
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
badge
The comic character Nexus, by Mike Baron and Steve Rude
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I really like A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. It can be played cooperatively, but the default is competitively, with everyone racing to be the one to defeat the monster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuns on the Run has a bit of a spooky feel to it. And it's competitive. Even though it plays out in a 1-vs-all format, the other nuns are all in a race to finish. So there's only one winner in every game, no teams.

Broom Service - Lighter fare, but it's a great little game.

A Study in Emerald - I haven't played the new edition, and I'm not sure if it's readily available yet. But the first edition is amazeballs. This one is supposed to be more streamlined and simple. It plays great with 4 and 5 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
HATE ARKHAM!!!!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Fleming
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Have played Mysterium and enjoy it. Owned Nuns on the Run for a while, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nightfall is thematic, though mainly just a deck builder with a reasonable theme as is Resident Evil Deck Building Game.

City of Horror and Mall of Horror might also fit your fancy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Stewart
Scotland
ELGIN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What about King of Tokyo: Halloween

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Fleming
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the suggestions, Everyone. If I get one today, I'll let you know what it is!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cody Fleming
United States
Roselle
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, I listed City and Mall above. I wanted to get my own copy of Mall, but it was too expensive, so I tried City. While fun, I believe the mechanics were actually less effective. They may have tried to take the original formula and do too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.