Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done at least a cursory runthrough of the rules, so forgive me if I've missed this. How does the number of enemies scale with the number of heroes? I would think that when you encounter a group of enemies, that their number should vary based on the number of heroes.

Also, I'm guessing that the missions have to be played in order, starting with the lowest level of hero(es). So, once you have played through all the missions and have a beefy hero, what's next? Do you start over with another noob hero and go through the process again? I'm wondering what kind of replay value this game has.

It seems that this game is similar to the D&D board games with respect to replayability. If I play the same scenario three times, the basic goal of the mission is unchanged. However, the will e plenty of variance in the monster draws, the R/E draws, and also the dungeon tile draws, as all these are shuffled before each game. From what I can tell, it looks like S&S varies in the first two; but, the map for each mission stays the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:
I've done at least a cursory runthrough of the rules, so forgive me if I've missed this. How does the number of enemies scale with the number of heroes? I would think that when you encounter a group of enemies, that their number should vary based on the number of heroes.

From experience of Galaxy Defenders the event cards will probably have things along the lines of "Spawn 2 monsters, if 4 or 5 heroes spawn 3 monsters". Because of the AI system going after each hero turn this tends to make monsters more powerful compared to each hero the more heroes there are.

Quote:
Also, I'm guessing that the missions have to be played in order, starting with the lowest level of hero(es). So, once you have played through all the missions and have a beefy hero, what's next? Do you start over with another noob hero and go through the process again? I'm wondering what kind of replay value this game has.

I think you're right about having to restart after the campaign ends. Since the KS box currently contains 8 heroes each with 2 classes I think I will play through happily several times.

Quote:
It seems that this game is similar to the D&D board games with respect to replayability. If I play the same scenario three times, the basic goal of the mission is unchanged. However, the will e plenty of variance in the monster draws, the R/E draws, and also the dungeon tile draws, as all these are shuffled before each game. From what I can tell, it looks like S&S varies in the first two; but, the map for each mission stays the same.

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simone Romano
Italy
Rome
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The humber of enemies scales based on the number of heroes, there are 2 mechanisms:

1) Spawn balancer in the event cards/story events
2) The number of initial shadows on the map (each quest has 2-3 or 4-5 heroes setup in terms of shadows in play).

Also the HP of the Master Enemies are based on the initial number of heroes.

Thanks for your support!

Simone
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky W
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

If you can't separate yourself from your "beefy hero" you certainly can do the diablo computer game thing.

Do the nightmare mode and start over with the first quest, but use enemies with the strength of the end of the campaign you played.

Then simply calculate
(enemy strength of campaign's last quest - enemy strength of campaign's first quest)
and add that amount to every quest's base enemy strength.

And for map's variability:
Many people have asked for random dungoen and random quest generation. They answered that they are thinking/working on it, but more important at first are smooth playable story quests.

My guess is there won't be rules for random quests in the delivered box, but they'll publish the rules/tools for downloading on their website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Erskine
United States
Alexandria
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And of course there will be future expansions that you can continue on with your hero. One thing to keep in mind, Galaxy Defenders had missions that required X number of heroes where X wasn't 1. So you could also play missions with different combinations of heroes.

I can honestly say that I won't run out of combinations to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E Licious
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many spawn cards have "spawn (heroes - monsters)" text on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
dakkadakka1 wrote:

Jim - thanks for asking this! Like you, I have looked through the rules, but not in detail. I have watched Lance, Ricky and Rahdo's videos and never saw this come up (again, I could have easily missed this). I made a note to myself to go back into the rules and figure this out. Now I know. Fantastic. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Johnson
United States
Germantown
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ricky:

Nightmare mode sounds like a blast. I'm sure that many of my fellow RPG players will echo my sentiment that, after going through several adventures and building up your character, you do kind of grow attached to him/her. It's really difficult once your character can start kicking some major butt to just say "OK - end of the line. Time to retire and start over"! I look forward to hopefully see some higher level adventures in future expansions.

Simone, as always, thanks for being so active on the posts and giving us your official ruling on all our questions. This type of customer service is what pulls people off the fence and gets them to buy games. It's a pity more game companies don't do this.

I hope you guys will seriously consider working on some random generation tables for the missions. In Warhammer Quest they had a deck of cards, each one with a picture of one of the tiles on it. Depending on the adventure, you shuffled the objective room into one part of the deck, then placed a number of cards above it. You never knew exactly where the final room was, but you knew that there would be at least X rooms To go through before there was a chance in drawing it.

Just some thoughts to get the creative juices going...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.