Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I'm still not ready to do a full review of this yet, but I thought it might be useful to write about my experiences so far.

My friend and I played 2 games last week and 3 games tonight.

Game 1
Me - Greek
Him - Norse

Early on I dropped two 3 point towers outside his invoking hexes, forcing him to spend actions on the towers, or deal with only one exit from his base.

I moved some pieces up the board, watched them get shut down, then I drew into a combo.

I had Hephestus, Askeplios and Zeus. I armored up Zeus and Askeplios, dropped an attack bonus chip on Zeus, and a short while later I had control of the center of the board, a buffed Zeus and a healer with +2 armor +2 attack.

He took Zeus down, but my healer, Askeplios, was pretty dangerous at that point. I moved Askeplios next to Asgard and punched it a couple times.

He hit me with his best shot, and after armor, he did 3 damage. 3 actions.

My turn, 1 action to heal that damage, 2 actions to punch Asgard, or whoever.

It was pretty simple math, so we called it checkmate and moved on to the next game.

Me - Egyptian
Him: Norse

The Egyptians play very differently. They have a bunch of healing and resurrection abilities. They also put out a lot of poison. Poison is a problem, because poison is forever. Nothing cures poison.

In High Heavens, the total amount of life ringchips (hp) on the board is a limited and shared resource.

I had a bad opening draw of only one god. It took me another couple turns to draw another god, which was really just bad luck.

However, in this time, my opponent had a handful of gods, and he was locking up rinchips to a serious degree. He used his superior range to free up rincghips by shooting my guys, and despite me eventually drawing into some pretty cool gods, he maintained control of the ringchips very well. We did some counting, then we called it checkmate.

We spoke a bit about the life resource, poison, and the real difference between +1 armor and +2 armor.

We decided to meet again in a week.

We played three games, the first was very quick.

Me - Greek
Him - Norse

He had a strong hand, a jacked up Odin and enough damage to surprise me early in the game. It was a learning experience.

Odin with +2 attack hits for 4 at range 2, or range +5 once a turn. So that's four damage once a turn to almost any hex. Super cool. Move him up a bit more and now he's spending three actions to move within range 2 of a god, attack twice for 8 and kill most gods. He has 14 life, so he can take some real punishment while he does so. Especially with a healer.

So as he moves up, he can use his 7 range to hit your home base for 4, and use his other two actions to do 8 damage to something closer.

I wasn't able to dps him down before he took out Olympus. We played again.

Me - Greek
Him - Norse

This one was closer. I had a bunch of cool combos. Hephestaus passing out armor, Athena walking up the field, Hermes stealing attack bonuses from enemies, giving them to friends. Transferring his own armor chips to Hephestaus, who could then resupply him. And Askeplios, keeping it all together.

But eventually a jacked up Odin made his way mid field. After a turn or two, we did some counting, called it checkmate and moved on to the next game.

Final game.

Me - Norse
Him - Egyptian

We both thought I had this one. I had range, I had attack bonuses, I had a very dangerous Loki and a very poisoned, but extremely effective Thor.

But he managed to get in some important shots, and next thing I knew I was dealing with a fully buffed Ra. We did some counting, called it checkmate and called it a night.

We're thinking of playing with the no randomness variant next time. Each player's hand is the entire deck of 24 cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvador Bernadó
Spain
Gavà
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick sessions report.
It's good to see that games are arriving.
Do you like the game?
It was worth the wait?
With KS the feeling that I'm always the last to have something has been reinforced. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
You're welcome

As to your questions, I want to get another couple plays in before I write a review answering those.

Part of the reason is I'm still not positive on what the answers are.

There's some good, there's some, "hmmm" and there's some ugly.

I'll try to write a review this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.