Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
http://i.imgur.com/BgkxuYk.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/h0np9MI.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/f8LMh5S.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QKqr1ki.jpg

Making a dice tray and got this shadow box from Michaels. Really not sure how to remove the glass. The inner frame (not sure what to call it) holds the glass roughly in place from what I can tell. Don't see how to even remove that short of tearing the whole thing apart. Could I try breaking the glass? Doesn't seem like it would break easily. I've considered using the glass as the base for the tray but it slides around a bit in there. Lining it with a foam sheet I got might keep it from sliding, but it might still end up being noisy.

Would appreciate some ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hammer - break glass (carefully). Then (carefully) remove.

Edit: pretty sure that's the same one I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Järventaus
Finland
Loviisa
flag msg tools
mb
Put packaging tape on the whole pane (both sides) if you're going to break it, that way it's easier to handle than if it went into pieces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Phillips
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just guessing here but it looks like you could pry the inner box away from the outer one enough to get the nails out, then you will be able to replace the glass with something more appropriate.

Even with breaking the glass I think you will need to access to the lip it is sitting on
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I broke mine into large pieces of glass, which I could then pry out fairly easily from the lip.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom McThorn
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Hammer - break glass (carefully). Then (carefully) remove.

Edit: pretty sure that's the same one I have.

That was my first thought. Cover in tape, hit with hammer, carefully remove broken glass.

For my dice tray I got an old octagon clock from an in-law. Pulled off the numbers/clock mechanism and put some green felt in it. Works pretty well but the walls are a bit high and it's heavy. I'll probably make a new one that's a bit smaller out of some scrap lumber I have.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
breaking it is your fastest and easiest option, just be safe when you do it.
hold or mount it in a trash can so when it breaks it all falls where you don't have to touch it. Its as easy as setting down in the trash, if the trash is half full even better.
Use the hardest point thing you have to break it, most likely the back of a hammer. if you have it on uneven surface such as trash you don't even need to swing at it just push.
wear as much protection as you can: thick dense gloves, long sleeves, something over your face and eyes.
Pick out the pieces by breaking and pushing with your hammer or whatever. And wipe away and possible remaining pieces with a rag you can throw away, paper towel will work just fold a bunch of times.
This may be overkill if its crappy glass but if you don't know no reason to take a risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
breaking it is your fastest and easiest option, just be safe when you do it.
hold or mount it in a trash can so when it breaks it all falls where you don't have to touch it. Its as easy as setting down in the trash, if the trash is half full even better.
Use the hardest point thing you have to break it, most likely the back of a hammer. if you have it on uneven surface such as trash you don't even need to swing at it just push.
wear as much protection as you can: thick dense gloves, long sleeves, something over your face and eyes.
Pick out the pieces by breaking and pushing with your hammer or whatever. And wipe away and possible remaining pieces with a rag you can throw away, paper towel will work just fold a bunch of times.
This may be overkill if its crappy glass but if you don't know no reason to take a risk.
Wow! Totally not an option here in UK. You'd get into all sorts of trouble for leaving loose glass in the bin!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christy
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I did it, I put the frame in a plastic bag and then tapped on the glass with a hammer. The bag split open a little, but most of the glass stayed in the bag and then I just picked out the remaining pieces of glass from the frame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
cmarie wrote:
When I did it, I put the frame in a plastic bag and then tapped on the glass with a hammer. The bag split open a little, but most of the glass stayed in the bag and then I just picked out the remaining pieces of glass from the frame.

I'd use a paper bag. When I clean up broken glass, I use paper bags rather than plastic. I think the paper is thicker and resists the cutting action of the glass edges better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Wow! Totally not an option here in UK. You'd get into all sorts of trouble for leaving loose glass in the bin!

So what do you do with glass?

I also should say when I say trash I was picturing your own personal type of trash so it wouldn't be loose. [my garage trash is one of those kitchen trash bins that I line with a paper grocery bag, makes for easy cleanup with most any scrap materials] But I was thinking more for your own safety, ignorant to any trash laws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
mccrispy wrote:

So what do you do with glass?

I also should say when I say trash I was picturing your own personal type of trash so it wouldn't be loose. [my garage trash is one of those kitchen trash bins that I line with a paper grocery bag, makes for easy cleanup with most any scrap materials] But I was thinking more for your own safety, ignorant to any trash laws.
Take it to the recycling centre. Though I believe it may still be acceptable to wrap it in newspaper and put it in the landfill bin (as opposed to recycling) - details will depend on local council requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Take it to the recycling centre. Though I believe it may still be acceptable to wrap it in newspaper and put it in the landfill bin (as opposed to recycling) - details will depend on local council requirements.

around me they prefer recycling stuff to be open and all thrown into one so its easily sorted, glass included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Femme Worth
msg tools
mb
Thanks for the replies everyone. Haven't gotten around to messing it with it yet. Probably going to go with the "put it in a bag and smash it with a hammer" idea. Need to get a paper sack at the store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ranko M
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Packaging tape is good way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Stokes
United States
North Augusta
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Duck Season!
badge
I also believe that you met the King of the Forest, Mei, and meeting him is a sign of good luck.
mbmbmbmbmb
I vote hammer as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Jonas

Oakdale
Minnesota
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Find neoprene or mouse pad material and just line it with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.