Where There Is Discord: War in the South Atlantic» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game hard to learn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
Hello,
I just ordered the game and I was wondering, is it a chore to learn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harry Bosch
Netherlands
Rotterdam
ZH
flag msg tools
badge
In honour of the brave crew of Hr.Ms. Java 27-02-1942 † Battle of the Java Sea
mbmbmbmbmb
Use the flow charts and documents in the files section. They are so much beter than the material included in the game.

The WTID Setup and Detailed Sequence of Play is one of the best examples.

File page
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
boshar wrote:
Use the flow charts and documents in the files section. They are so much beter than the material included in the game.

File page

No, not hard at all. As Harry says, use the WTID Setup and Detailed Sequence of Play. It is so good that, after reading the rules proper the first time, I mainly referenced the Detailed SoP and hardly ever looked at the rules book again. The game is very immersive, and is on my list of top 5 solitaire games. You will really enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan
United States
flag msg tools
1 Player hardcore
badge
Lone Warrior
mbmbmbmbmb
pavobueno wrote:
boshar wrote:

File page

No, not hard at all. As Harry says, use the WTID Setup and Detailed Sequence of Play. It is so good that, after reading the rules proper the first time, I mainly referenced the Detailed SoP and hardly ever looked at the rules book again. The game is very immersive, and is on my list of top 5 solitaire games. You will really enjoy it!

This is the only advice you need, and so true that I had to quote it yet again!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lior A
France
flag msg tools
So, read the rules once and never look back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huber-Wehner
Germany
Brühl
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
More or less. From time to time you have to take a look into the rules. But not very often.
I've learnd it this way, reading the rules, play by the Detailed Sequence of Play. It is not that hard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Harper
United States
Maricopa
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Badigel wrote:
So, read the rules once and never look back?

Very occasionally you might have to look in the rulebook. But the detailed EoP is so good it's not often, if at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just updated my WTID Setup and Detailed Sequence of Play file to v5 with some minor corrections.

1. Added line to clarify search roll on Argentine subs. (Page 5 - G.d.4.) Need a 1 for success.

2. Corrected International Opinion from 2 to 1 on page 6 line H.c.4, bullet 4.

The corrected version (v5) should be available for download soon - as soon as BGG approves it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the rest -- check out the detailed sequences of play. The real problem with the rules is the ordering of the rules so that you have to skip around when you are trying to learn the game. It's very painful. Read the rules once and then use the expanded sequences of play in the files section to help you pick it up.

It is VERY thematic. The author claims it's not a simulation but really it is pretty simulation like on the style of the old Avalon Hill type games. You will learn something about what the British went through. There is a lot of narrative to the game and it really screws up the tension in the player as you desparately try to get the job done without losing world and UK support for the war.

You can play well and still lose if your rolls are bad but there are decisions to make in this game (as opposed to B17 for example) so whether you win or lose is to a large extent dependent on your actions. The game is beautiful. The guy did need an editor though to help him revise the rules and perhaps make the board smaller and to make the counters more functional (hate turning them over).

There is really no other game that does the Falklands this well that I've found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.