Ultimate Werewolf: Ultimate Edition» Forums » General

Subject: Building a new Werewolf community rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
My situation is this: as a player I am ONLY used to games of 20-40 players, due to the fact that my old hometown Los Angeles has a great Werewolf following, and you can easily find 70+ Werewolf players on any given night during those big game conventions.

Fast forward I've recently moved to Redding, a much smaller city. Using Halloween as an excuse, I tried fielding a Werewolf event tonight at the local game store. Up until literally the last minute I despaired of getting the critical mass of 7 players together... and all the while totally involved in self-doubt of whether I could pull it off as moderator... and then suddenly it was 8 players. Then suddenly it was 10 players for the next session. Then suddenly 12 players for the next one.

5 hours and 5 games of Werewolf later, I had to throw in the towel and say I got to go home, but I had people that wanted to play more. So, I really feel like I got something going here.

You know what... I'm going to stop here for now. I have a LOT of questions about moderating, and how to grow this seed of Werewolf love that I have planted in a new town, but honestly I gotta pass out now. I'll get back to you guys YAWN tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, as moderator, you manage the game, NOT run the game.

Provide rules when needed.

Toughest thing... Keep the gallery quiet about the game... It's a game of information and must be controlled strictly from letting the get... talk even if qualifying.

Keep the game fun.... If it's not fun don't play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bjorn Hermans
Netherlands
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am used to games of 9-15 players, and to me that is almost the perfect size: the group is not too big to loose sight of what everyone does, and it is not too small (well, 9 or 10 is a bit...) to cause the game to be over too soon. So I would encourage you to get into the (for you) smaller games: they really have an interesting dynamic.

My question to you is how do you manage sessions with 20-40 players?
Because I have moderated a game of 27 players once, and that was total chaos (for me and the players). And it convinced me that I would not moderate games with more than about 15-17 players.
So I am very interested in how you manage these games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tod Hostetler
United States
California
flag msg tools
The 40 player session was at a Strategicon at the LAX Sheraton. A second moderator was found, and we split into Two Villages in adjacent meeting rooms, but all still playing the same game.

In addition to the regular Lynch votes, we also had a daily Exile vote in each Village. The exiled person was sent to the opposite village. This had a really fun effect of making the number of roles including Werewolves uncertain in each village.

It was incredibly fun. When a new Villager came to town, everyone was eager to hear their news about how things were going in the other Village (how many Werewolves have you killed over there?; etc.) as much as the newcomer wanted to know about the state of affairs in his or her new home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JasX X
United Kingdom
London, UK
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The two village idea sounds fun. I regularly moderate 24-32 player games upstairs in a pub.

I try to limit it to the lower end but if it's creeping upwards you can keep it managable two ways

1-
-> Up the death rate by including the old man, Dr Boom, cupid etc
2-
-> Try to limit the number of 'night active' actions ie avoid the witch, BG, aura seer etc. But instead include 'one off' roles like prince, hunter, diseased to keep the pace up

after a few large games you start to get a feel for the required pace vs death rate and can toss in some more active roles as people get more comfortable with how they work

Finally the key to counting votes in a large is always start at the person being accused and count round the circle till you get back to them. Helps you remember where to start/finish easily.

Final rule with large groups -> all cards need to be put somewhere visible ideally on a central table. Nobody gets to walk off with cards in their shirt pocket or crease them in a back jean pocket etc etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.