Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Descent: Journeys in the dark 2nd edition and quickly became overwhelmed with so much expansion content which released so quickly. Now, the same thing is happening to me with Imperial Assault. I have the base game, extra set of dice, and all of the figure packs released for the base game (wave 1). Now there is an expansion available with a whole additional wave of figure packs!

I really like the game, and the completionist in me is driving my urge to keep up with released content.

I love that expansion content is created, as I hate using cardboard disks to represent characters when their plastic figures and custom cards are sitting on the shelf of my FLGS, ya know. However, at retail prices, this game is at about $300 right now, and if they keep pace with Descent 2nd edition, it will easily reach over $500 in the next 12 to 18 months. Look what I just discovered, which is currently "at the Printer"

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/star-wars-imp...

M u s t... G e t... R 2 D 2 a n d C 3 P O.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Crane
United States
WASHOUGAL
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you talking about the upcoming big box expansion? And lets get serious with the movie coming it's only going to get worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:

I really like the game, and the completionist in me is driving my urge to keep up with released content.

Gotta learn to suppress it. Nothing is holding a gun to your head to make a purchase. It's not a psychological problem like OCD. It's just an overwhelming want. You can control that. You'll get it eventually, but you don't need to keep up with new releases. Play what you have, when it gets stale, buy new to freshen it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:

It's not a psychological problem like OCD. It's just an overwhelming want. You can control that.

One could say OCD is very much an overwhelming want. Very small line.. but, ultimately I agree. Unless these releases have a chance of going OOP before you can get to them (which has never been the case with FFG content), lamenting the speed of new content is a touch selfish.

Thankfully, the OP isn't really one of these people. I get that he is just venting, and is probably quite happy to be living in a world where a game he loves is getting support and added variability in a prompt manner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't play skirmish mode, just the campaign game - so they are not coming out fast enough for us! We played base game campaign and want to start another long campaign soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

It's not a psychological problem like OCD. It's just an overwhelming want. You can control that.

One could say OCD is very much an overwhelming want. Very small line..

I'm talking actual, diagnosed OCD, not what gamers think OCD but is really OCP (obsessive-compulsive preference).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

I'm talking actual, diagnosed OCD, not what gamers think OCD but is really OCP (obsessive-compulsive preference).

I get where you are coming from. I discovered Mice and Mystics which led me to both Descent and SW:IA. So far not only have I purchased everything available (not smart) but have also bought the items not yet released on presale.

Take it from me. Go slow. They are great games and they get expensive fast. Worse is there are bunch of other games like it on KickStarter.

Play what you have, get the Wave 1 figures and go through a full campaign.

If you are like me (which sounds like you are), play the campaign but keep an eye for sales. The games and expansions will still be here and I assure you they cannot pump them out faster than you can play them.

Return to Hoth is not set to release until January or so and once it does, you will have time to wait for a good price drop to pick it up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vance
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I play a bit of both and I'm still looking forward to more content! FFG took forever to ship out Twin Shadows so I'm hoping the same problem doesn't befall the Hoth expansion.

So if you're overwhelmed just take a break for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

Lol, I'm actually a therapist who diagnoses OCD from the DSM 5.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
habanero wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

The irony, it burns!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Riley
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
I Am One With The Force
badge
The Force Is With Me
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
habanero wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
kelann08 wrote:

The irony, it burns!

Based on all of the therapists I know, this is not as ironic as you might think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Aull
United States
Owensboro
KY
flag msg tools
Gaming Collector/Enthusiast
badge
Gamer Without a Cause
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with az933k, take it slow. It's been out for nearly a year and we just have the core game and one small-box expansion. The extra characters are unnecessary--they add a few side missions in, but chances are you may only draw core missions during a campaign anyways. Especially characters like Rebel Saboteurs, Wookie Warriors, etc--they won't come into your core campaign unless their side mission is drawn.

The game & expansion give you tokens & the same character cards to use if you don't have the figure, so unless it pains you to not have the minis, it's not a big deal not to buy them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sithrak - The god who hates you unconditionally
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Try keeping up with X Wing for a while, suddenly IA will feel much more reasonable (Ha, or Attack Wing... No, don't try to keep up with Attack Wing, not even Attack Wing's developers keep up with Attack Wing).

I'm not a big fan of FFG's new and improved format of splitting up their games and selling them piecemeal for twice the price, but in IA at least the game isn't designed around selling multiples of every add-on (Which makes me wonder why they don't just include all the core game content in the core game box and all the expansion content in the expansion boxes and just forward the savings of not printing, packaging and shipping every single part of the game seperately to their customers.... buuuut of course this is quite the heretical thought). It's stupid, it's manipulative, it costs the customers a lot more in the long run just so we have the illusion of paying less by buying the game in pieces, it's the board game version of a F2P format, but it's also the only way to get the game, so you better get used to it if you like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honest question. Were you expecting this to not happen? I only accepted getting into Netrunner when I found a stopping point I liked. Right now for SW:IA I am going with Hoth being it for now. It vastly depends on how much skirmish gets played. There's honestly only so many more signature characters to get for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hillean wrote:
I agree with az933k, take it slow. It's been out for nearly a year and we just have the core game and one small-box expansion. The extra characters are unnecessary--they add a few side missions in, but chances are you may only draw core missions during a campaign anyways. Especially characters like Rebel Saboteurs, Wookie Warriors, etc--they won't come into your core campaign unless their side mission is drawn.

The game & expansion give you tokens & the same character cards to use if you don't have the figure, so unless it pains you to not have the minis, it's not a big deal not to buy them.

This is fine if you are ignoring skirmish. Skirmish is easier to get played so it is becoming the bigger focus for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

But people are so sensitive about it that if anyone brings up just how classist and decadent the hobby can be they get shut down with weird bullying techniques that are intentionally passive aggressive because, you know, the site doesn't allow it to be any other way. Witness this poor dude who, in all honesty, wasn't wrong. Especially coming from where he does in the world.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1434255/boardgaming-hob...

Almost everyone tried to counter what he said and got loads of thumbs for doing so until he broke down, became insulting and I'm assuming got handed a ban... like he had any choice? People pile on like that you're bound to explode eventually.

His core idea (boardgaming tends to be expensive and people here tend to overinvest into the hobby to a fault, both financially and emotionally) wasn't wrong, but he overstated his point wildly, that doesn't justify all the (in some cases impressively idiotic and culturally blinkered) responses he got, but just like you can't expect him to stay completely clean after people piled passive aggressive bullshit on him, you can't expect everyone else to be completely understanding of a post that pretty overtly goes "you're all a bunch of depressed degenerates who dull the pain of their empty lives by piling up meaningless stuff under some company's mind control and unlike me, you're just too stupid to notice", even if the statement hadn't been as unreasonably broad as he chose to make it, and even if it hadn't been obviously inspired by plain jealousy (justified though it may have been, it's not like the vast international wage differences in play here are in any way fair), some defensiveness would have to have been expected (I mean, not to sound arrogant, but have you not ever seen about what imaginary slights people can get defensive?).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Goodhand
United States
GSP Exit #20 (Seaville)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonJacob wrote:

This is what FFG wants, it's what the whole industry wants. We participate in a reasonably decadent hobby and sites like BGG only make it worse.
This whole hobby is designed to drain your wallet and fill theirs. Not just FFG but the whole kit and kaboodle.
So, like everyone here is saying, resist the urge, stop reading about them on line, live within your means. Boardgames are expensive and very few people on here play them to their completion before buying more.
I too have fallen for the Imperial Assault buy rampage and I know I haven't gotten full use out of what I have so this post it just as much for me as it is for you.

(~~lol~~) Ditto - I agree and yup, me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastiaan Kuijs
msg tools
mbmb
I know your problem just but core box twin shadows and all the famous movie heroes and villans and planning to buy everything.

Doesnt help that i love star wars and love the game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Which makes me wonder why they don't just include all the core game content in the core game box and all the expansion content in the expansion boxes and just forward the savings of not printing, packaging and shipping every single part of the game seperately to their customers

Because the market wouldn't take a >$100 base box. It's a major psychological factor.

Quote:
it costs the customers a lot more in the long run just so we have the illusion of paying less by buying the game in pieces

To be clear, it costs the customers who want everything more in the long run. It costs customers who are happy with just the base box a lot less. Note that there are loads of these people who just buy the base game, get a bunch of campaigns out of it, and enjoy it for what it is. You won't see these people posting about in here for the same reason they're not buying every expansion in the first place.

It's easy to get the impression from these forums that everyone buys everything, forgetting that this forum is just the most dedicated, into it IA players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:
Flamin_Jesus wrote:
Which makes me wonder why they don't just include all the core game content in the core game box and all the expansion content in the expansion boxes and just forward the savings of not printing, packaging and shipping every single part of the game seperately to their customers

Because the market wouldn't take a >$100 base box. It's a major psychological factor.

Quote:
it costs the customers a lot more in the long run just so we have the illusion of paying less by buying the game in pieces

To be clear, it costs the customers who want everything more in the long run. It costs customers who are happy with just the base box a lot less. Note that there are loads of these people who just buy the base game, get a bunch of campaigns out of it, and enjoy it for what it is. You won't see these people posting about in here for the same reason they're not buying every expansion in the first place.

It's easy to get the impression from these forums that everyone buys everything, forgetting that this forum is just the most dedicated, into it IA players.

I know the psychological factor argument, and I get that it's an argument why they'd choose to do it that way, I'm just not convinced that it's an argument why we shouldn't comment on it. As for the people who buy the base game and that's it, I know that argument too, but I've never seen it backed by actual numbers. I have no doubt that you'll find someone or even a couple someones out there for whom it applies, but how common are they really? And how common are they compared to the people who buy into the full game on this virtual installment plan who wouldn't have if FFG added the full/"real" game price somewhere on the box? That's not a rethorical question (Although I know it's one I'll never get answered with actual numbers), but as someone who DOES count the waves as single purchases and sees the "true cost" in the shopping cart summary, I know I'd feel pretty pissed off if I bought the base game and only later found out about all the extra costs (Which would be right around the time I'd open the core, what with the extra flyer telling you right away that you can buy those boosters - right after you opened the game).

I see the value of having choices, and when it comes to X Wing or Armada it's probably the only reasonable way to do it, but IA? That sounds a lot more like the choice whether to pay less now or more later (Which is exactly the choice an installment plan gives you, and I think you'll agree that while that option is nice, it's also vastly overused by people who end up buying things they can't afford, there's a reason I usually avoid them, there's also a reason someone I know who doesn't avoid them hasn't been debt-free in about 3 decades).

And even so, let's say the psychological barrier argument wasn't the least bit troublesome, and that there is a significant number of customers who buy into the game but never into the singles boosters. There's still room to consolidate in IA: why not faction boosters or wave boosters? Yes I see people saying "I'm not going to buy Weiss" or "going to pass on that one", but if those people could have those items in addition to the ones they buy at the same overall price that they now pay for their incomplete collection, do you think they'd be sad that they "had to" buy a complete set when the alternative was a choice, financed by a markup that was the one thing making those figures hard to justify in the first place?

As usual, my issue isn't so much with the complete price as with FFG's choice to try and hide that price (and make me pay extra for the cloaking generator they use to do it), if there's so many people out there for whom it's actually a meaningful and beneficial choice then so be it, I'll stop whining, but if (as I suspect) I pay more so that other people can be more easily convinced to buy something they can't really afford (also because, of course, they also have to pay more) then I think a little complaining is the least I can do.

And just to clarify that again: I don't think IA is the worst offender by any means, for one it is true that the core box of IA really does allow you to play the full game (And I've never complained about the core box, would I prefer the mountain of content we got back in Descent 1st Ed days? Absolutely, but I understand why that's not common anymore) and for another I don't think the complete wave prices are beyond the pale or anything, I'm just saying that to me, it feels like the game costs extra to finance a feature nobody needs and few people actually benefit from (for themselves as opposed to for a group whose rights people defend that may or may not actually exist).

Now, the way they did Armada on the other hand, that still makes my blood boil.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.