BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: being bad at a game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
may-prigent Ffran
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have realised this week, whilst playing Patwhork over and over with my 13 year old, that I am REALLY BAD at it. Spacial awareness is not my strong point, and I have only been in positive points once or twice. I am also horribly bad at BLOKUS.

The strange thing is, I don't care. I really enjoy playing, although we do have a giggle at the end as we jot up ( jot down in my case ) the points.

It's interesting how in gaming, when you are massacred, either by the game itself, or an other opponent, you still come back for more. The more gaming I do, the more I realise that I have an " artistic" rather than mathematical logic.

Och well, I'm good at Dixit ......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TBH, Spatial awareness is a secondary skill in Patchwork. It's more about identifying which are the best priced tiles for your specific circumstances.

The game has several internal equations

1 time = 1 button
1 space on your board = 2 buttons (i.e. not lost at the end of the game)
1 button symbol on a tile = buttons left on the track

With these 3 tiles you can readily calculate (or guesstimate) the effective "button gain" of each of the 3 tiles ahead of the marker and elect to take that

e.g. a tile that covers 5 spaces*, includes 2 button symbols (with 3 buttons spaces left on the board)**, costs 5 buttons and 3 time is therefore worth...

5*2 + 3*2 - 5 - 3 = net gain 8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Martin
Canada
north bay
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
People I play with enjoy how any game I introduce I lose. I am not a strategist but I just play because I enjoy it.
My only problem is playing games of utter chance and losing, even though I do nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good thing for people like me there are games like Champions of Midgard where dying and losing battles is actually a viable winning strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Mcpherson
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can relate because if I lose a game it is usually the next game I request to play. I always want another shot at doing better.

Also, I think the more you play Patchwork the better you will become at it. We also struggled for the first few games, ending up with negative scores. Now I can usually score between 20 to, I think the highest was 48 or 58, I can't remember exactly.

Blokus does not get a lot of play with us because you have to attack the other player, in a way, and we are not big fans of games like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Conroy
United States
Winchester
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dammit, I have read books on the subject, I played against computers and human opponents alike trying to master what it is I am missing.

After years of trying, I learned one thing, I suck at Chess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do really well at games that involve politics, backstabbing, deterministic combat systems, open game information and diplomacy. However I suck at Diplomacy and still can't figure out why.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel B-G
United Kingdom
Leeds
W Yorks
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:
I do really well at games that involve politics, backstabbing, deterministic combat systems, open game information and diplomacy. However I suck at Diplomacy and still can't figure out why.

I'm going to guess Karma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_equals_speed wrote:

I'm going with; your game group knows all of the above and therefore don't trust you at all and will not give you any help towards winning

On OP, I really like it when I play a game that I'm trounced at, as it drives me to improve at that game.
Unfortunately I'm the main games buyer in my group and tend to learn and teach games better, so often I will be teaching the games we play. I even include basic tactical/strategy types for relevant games. I STILL feel bad with any game I win the first time we play, as due to my meticulous learning of a game, it gives me a head-start on the other players.

But here's to losing games; it makes better players (and all round 'better people') or us all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Lubojanski
Poland
Ruda Śląska
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is often situation when I am the person who is losing the game, or at least second. Maybe because I am not good strategist or tactic? Sometimes is about bad decision or not smart move?

The point is, often I am saying I will try better next time, and in general all we have fun playing games.

What I don't like in losing a game, is BAD BEAT, for example when everyone is scoring really high and I am at the lowest depths...

Oh, by the way... Patchwork is my favourite game for losing. What I am doing wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Luboy wrote:

What I don't like in losing a game, is BAD BEAT, for example when everyone is scoring really high and I am at the lowest depths...

This will occasionally happen to me, or the game owner (if not me) in a game with attack mechanisms, but low catch-up mechanics. If you attack a player early on, often our first choice is the owner as they're likely the biggest threat. But sometimes every does this (for example in simultaneous selection) which can cripple someone early doors. This is a rare occurrence with the rules of modern gaming though. Mostly, if you're not a threat early on (after a crippling turn) people target each other, giving you a chance to catch up to the squabbling pack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
negatrev wrote:
x_equals_speed wrote:

I'm going with; your game group knows all of the above and therefore don't trust you at all and will not give you any help towards winning

Aye, but that should apply to other games equally.

I mean we had a game of Junta in which the group agreed that I shouldn't be president and no matter what none of them would support me for the role. One of them insisted that everyone shook on it while I was setting up the game. I was president from turn four until the a couple of turns from end of the game.

Just for some reason I'm unable to make it work in Diplomacy. Perhaps the lack of complexity makes it harder for me to shenanigans? I can't put my finger on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Show me something that beats a natural 20 and I'll show you hateful lies.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must be bad at Puerto Rico because I've taught 7+ individuals the game, and never won a single game of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.