Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Zombicide: Black Plague» Forums » General

Subject: Custom map/terrain? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Does anybody have experience with making their own custom maps or terrain for Zombicide? The tiles don't seem to have a grid, but look like they each have a certain number of "spaces" for movement, right?

Anyway, my girlfriend thought it would be cool to make a custom 3D town to play Zombicide in, so I was just wondering if there are any issues with that, or any reason why it might not work that you can see. Obviously, we would have to make custom scenarios for it, I realize that.

Thanks.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the Black Plague tiles are clearly based on a 3x3 grid. Sometimes they monkey with the shapes for buildings, and building rooms may combine or split the basic spaces of the grid, but the streets clearly conform to that 3x3 shape.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Laval
Quebec
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what it looks like from the pics we have so far, I agree. My girlfriend built our first building last night. It's 2x3 squares, which leaves enough for a street outside eventually.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen Timmermans
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tiles are 3x3 spaces, although buildings and streets don't adhere to straight lines. Sometimes, a building space occupies 97% of a space and the street next to it occupies the remainder 3%.

I'm curious though how the game plays in a3D town...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Teage Watson
United States
Hilliard
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Erratik wrote:
Anyway, my girlfriend thought it would be cool to make a custom 3D town to play Zombicide in, so I was just wondering if there are any issues with that, or any reason why it might not work that you can see.


Some one did something similar for the modern z-cide.
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1068188/create-3d-zombicide...

The only troubles I can see is that I have gotten into scenarios where the number of minis in a room would be hampered by the furniture and such. I suppose this could be house ruled to limit the horde size, but just a consideration.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seijin Zero
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Oh, young padawan, let me teach you the ways of the force.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1330989/high-quality-fan-ma...

I would not do 3D. You will find this game takes up a TON of storage space as it is. The 3D terrain in that link above looks AMAZING, but I can't imagine storing all that for one game. I would suggest a half-assed 3D if you really have your heart set on it. I toyed with the idea a while back. 2-3 inch high strips of cardboard or plastic, or cardstock, or posterboard, or whatever. Genericly decorate them. Cut into lengths of 2.75 inches and 1 inch. Get NON-STICK aluminum foil and squirt coin-sized blobs of hot glue on it in lines as needed to form a base and hold these walls up. I would think 1 blob could hold a 1 inch strip up, and 2 blobs could hold the 3 inch up. Fit them around like tiny cubical walls over the existing walls on a tile, forming a half-assed but totally manageable 3d tile system. If you used cardboard or posterboard, you can also use metal snips to cut paperclips in half. Take the 4 arches you get and stick them into the top corners of the walls to connect them more securely. For a storage box the size of 1 3D tile, you could probably fit enough micro-cubical-walls for every 9-tile map you can come up with. Never locked into one set. Is it as impressive? No, of course not, but it's a creative compromise that results in a way more flexible and manageable game.

I came up with this in 10 minutes. I'm sure with more thought and effort, you can improve upon this idea.

I'm ALSO currently working on my own tiles. I have had a lot of interest in the final result, but very little help putting it together. Hopefully once I get it rolling it will snowball. I can't draw, so by myself it will get done, but probably not look super great.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1461797/13-deadly-sins-fan-...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.