Deb Cutler
United States
Cross Plains
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to thank them for their telling customers upfront that they will not be able to take pre-orders for the next set. Here is their post...

CoolStuffInc.com has been a proud supporter of Dice Masters and HeroClix throughout the years. Through both our online retail efforts and in-store play offerings we've enjoyed significant success sharing the games with you and thousands of other customers across North America.

Due to a quantity restriction Wizkids has placed on DC HeroClix: Superman/Wonder Woman booster bricks and Dice Masters: The Amazing Spider-Man gravity feed displays we are unable to offer pre-orders for HeroClix: Superman/Wonder Woman booster bricks, booster cases, and booster packs. We will not be able to offer them or Marvel Dice Masters: The Amazing Spider-Man gravity feed displays for sale.

The quantity limit restricts us to less than 10% of booster bricks and gravity feed displays we have received for previous releases. In addition, our organized play offerings for both Dice Masters and HeroClix have been suspended while we appeal with WizKids for the additional sealed product required to host our communities' events.

We will have extremely limited quantities of singles available for upcoming sets, including the DC HeroClix: Superman/Wonder Woman and Marvel Dice Masters: The Amazing Spider-Man releases. We will also continue buying and selling individual HeroClix minatures as well as Dice Masters singles and look forward to supporting our customers' and communities' collections as before.

While no apology on our behalf will alleviate the frustration of this policy by WizKids, we share your disappointment: CoolStuffInc.com is full of lifelong gamers and players and we're unable to continue delighting thousands of HeroClix and Dice Masters fans, as well as the communities in our local game stores, who have relied on us for their sealed product experiences.

CoolStuffInc.com sincerely apologizes for the unexpected change and inconvenience this causes us all.

If you have any questions regarding your pre-order please don't hesitate to email us anytime at info@coolstuffinc.com. As always we will do our best to deliver on the shopping and customer service experience you've come to expect from us.

Thank you again for continuing to choose CoolStuffInc.com as your local game store for thousands of games, singles and accessories.

Gerald Sunkin
CEO, CoolStuffInc.com, LLC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Folsom
United States
Wilmore
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And let us also not forget that Wizkids WANTS to sell more. Sometimes the demand is so high that they can't keep up and they don't know how long the demand will stay. Yeah they want to sell out, but if they had the choice of selling out of 100 units or having 1,000 units and nearly selling out, they'd choose that. But do they make 10,000 units and sell only 3,372?

As someone who has no idea what's actually going on, this is my professional unbiased uninformed opinion.

EDIT:
Thank you for posting this by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I saw this and it's pretty confusing. Does anyone know if this is just limited to CSI, or other stores also?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Berg
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
You can count on me!
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that one or more of the following is true of Wizkids:

1. Has supply problems, and couldn't produce as many as they'd like
2. Is reducing supply intentionally to increase prices
3. Has some sort of exclusivity deal with a major retailer
4. Has capital problems, which lead to a smaller print run
5. Were recently burned on a large wave not selling, and want to prevent it from happening again

The whole thing sounds weird to me. Why would you limit what a retailer can purchase?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CasualSax wrote:
My guess is that one or more of the following is true of Wizkids:

1. Has supply problems, and couldn't produce as many as they'd like
2. Is reducing supply intentionally to increase prices
3. Has some sort of exclusivity deal with a major retailer
4. Has capital problems, which lead to a smaller print run
5. Were recently burned on a large wave not selling, and want to prevent it from happening again

The whole thing sounds weird to me. Why would you limit what a retailer can purchase?

I suspect they may lose their Marvel license soon.

Either way, this is probably gonna kill my interest in Dice Masters permanently now.

Frankly, if this ushers in the final demise of WizKids, I won't shed a single tear as they are an utterly inept company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley
United States
Ball
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="Vampyur"I suspect they may lose their Marvel license soon.[/q]

Reasoning?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mibb wrote:
[q="Vampyur"I suspect they may lose their Marvel license soon.

Reasoning?[/q]

Stale character lineup, an overall dwindling product line compared to DC. I would not be shocked to see Disney not renew the license with them and award it to Upper Deck completely or shop to a company who will do more than run the product into the ground with repetition.

I was not pleased that the Age of Ultron Dice Masters set was by and large rehashes of stuff from AvX and I've heard my long time Clix players say they are tired of buying multiple versions of The Avengers multiple times per year.

The only WizKids logic I could think is they want people to play in local OP events. Well, that's a fine idea until 90% of your player base realizes after attending one complete OP series, that judges have their groups of friends who often dominate events and the only people walking home with the prizes are the ones dumping hundreds on the secondary market to buy the few figures out of every set that even matter on a competitive level.

I personally bought from CoolStuff for purely casual play and if forced to try and get what I want from a local store, I'll bail on the game completely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A heads up, if you mention this on WizKids Facebook page, expect to get banned from commenting in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gray Deth
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mibb wrote:
Yeah, I saw this and it's pretty confusing. Does anyone know if this is just limited to CSI, or other stores also?

i think i saw Miniature Market say they had the same issue.

--
found their facebook post on it:

"Due to quantity restrictions imposed by WizKids on their upcoming Heroclix & Dice Masters releases, we will only be receiving a fraction of our order that we preordered for these lines.

As we will not be receiving our complete order, we will also be unable to fill all pre orders for these upcoming release and we greatly do apologize for this.

At this time, we are confirming specific quantities that we will be receiving and will be contacting all customers who are impacted by this unfortunate circumstance.

We are truly sorry for this unfortunate news and the inconvenience that it has caused.

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to email us at support@miniaturemarket.com and our customer service team will do their best to assist you and answer your questions.

Steve
CEO
Miniature Market"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if part of the supply constraints are related to WizKids trying to tie inventory supply to organized play participation. While CoolStuff Inc has a brick and mortar presence and mentions doing OP, I am guessing their online sales put their overall sales way above what a comparable dealer would sell given their OP participation.

The other could be WizKids trying to limit supplies to discounters and trying to implement some sort of pricing policy.

Not saying I agree with it, by any means. WizKids is a rather curious business model to say the least. I'd love to see OP in some of the stores near me, but whenever I ask, the dealers are reluctan to do so, because they can't reliably get inventory to support it .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm going to go out and a limb here and say that the reason for this is an attempt to salvage the traditional, retail store model and offer them compelling products that incentivize foot traffic in the stores.

Both Coolstuff and MM, while having a brick and mortar footprint, are primarily selling product online. I'm completely ignorant of how they price Heroclix/Dice Masters products (not my cup of tea) but I would assume they discount them steeply as they typically do with other products.

This has the effect of undercutting smaller game stores, and perhaps those stores either (a) rebelled and pushed back, or (b) are dying off and this is causing some concern with publishers that rely on retail stores to maintain interest in their products and promote events.

Probably a little bit of (a) and (b) mixed together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OutlawUnforgiven wrote:
I'm going to go out and a limb here and say that the reason for this is an attempt to salvage the traditional, retail store model and offer them compelling products that incentivize foot traffic in the stores.

Both Coolstuff and MM, while having a brick and mortar footprint, are primarily selling product online. I'm completely ignorant of how they price Heroclix/Dice Masters products (not my cup of tea) but I would assume they discount them steeply as they typically do with other products.

This has the effect of undercutting smaller game stores, and perhaps those stores either (a) rebelled and pushed back, or (b) are dying off and this is causing some concern with publishers that rely on retail stores to maintain interest in their products and promote events.

Probably a little bit of (a) and (b) mixed together.

Cool Stuff does discount Dice Masters at their usual 30% ish pricing. And given the low price of boosters, I can see brick and mortar stores seeing this line as one of the few things driving traffic in their stores, esp seeing as how traditional board games are getting more expensive.

Of course, if WizKids is going to follow through on this, then they need to beef up their supply chain. The last couple of releases for Dice Masters have been better than the drought days of AvX for sure, but I still see and hear about people having a hard time finding it. Between poor supply chain and online pricing, I can see some stores basically giving up on it. I am not as familiar with HeroClix, but that line seems to drive a lot more OP events in my area than Dice Masters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan King
United States
Stockbridge
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope this is a supply issue and not something else I have everything to this point but will not be buying single packs, ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering if this might also have something to do with their failed attempts to get Target on-board with Dice Masters and Hero Clix.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim McMahon
United States
West Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Lookee what he can do! He wants a job!
mbmbmbmbmb
Brutilus wrote:
I'm wondering if this might also have something to do with their failed attempts to get Target on-board with Dice Masters and Hero Clix.
Failed? My Target has had every release of Dice Masters so far. They have some Heroclix, but I never paid any attention to which ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Fleming
United States
Orange
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jimmcmahon wrote:
Brutilus wrote:
Failed? My Target has had every release of Dice Masters so far. They have some Heroclix, but I never paid any attention to which ones.

I think your Target might be the exception. I found some AvX boxes at one of my Targets when it originally came out, but I've haven't seen a single dice master set in stock since. I go to a lot of Targets and always check for dice masters and they're never there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
moosemcd wrote:
jimmcmahon wrote:
Brutilus wrote:

I think your Target might be the exception. I found some AvX boxes at one of my Targets when it originally came out, but I've haven't seen a single dice master set in stock since. I go to a lot of Targets and always check for dice masters and they're never there.

I've found that only one Target in 7 I regularly visit here in Central Maryland keeps either stocked. The only Hero Clix they have are the Thor boosters.

Neither of the 2 Targets I visited in my week down in Orlando had either product.

This must be a district by district thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting.
I visit three different Targets here in the Richmond area on a regular basis and they always have DM. The last few times, they have had boosters and starters for both Ultron and War of Light.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis McCarthy
United States
Idelwylde
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
catosulla wrote:
Interesting.
I visit three different Targets here in the Richmond area on a regular basis and they always have DM. The last few times, they have had boosters and starters for both Ultron and War of Light.

That's what they have in the one Target in Canton Crossing. I thought it was kind of weird that none of the others did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.